Yamamoto Worms

Discussion in 'Bass Fishing' started by msucatfish, Apr 10, 2009.

1. msucatfish

msucatfish New Member

State:
    mississippi
    Just thought I would say that I've never been much of a soft plastic worm fisherman. I've tried zoom, berkely, yum all of them. Then wednesday I broke down and forked out $7 dollars for a package of 5" yamamoto senko worms in Watermelon w/black&red. And I actually got several bites the first time out. And if I hadnt been in complete shock I might have caught a few. I have no idea what is different about these worms but they work. At least for me.

2. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Ya get what ya pay for.:wink: Thats not to say that Zoom doesn't make a good bait, but in my opinion Gary yamamoto makes the best soft baits money can buy. Lucky Craft staceys will out cath a smithwick rouge. Difference is 5 bux for a rogue or 15 for a staysee. I fish to catch fish and have 3 boxes of staycee's. Also have several packages of Garys high dollar plastics.

3. msucatfish

msucatfish New Member

State:
    mississippi
    thats true, better baits cost more. I've been wanting a spro swimbait but hesitant about paying 20 bucks for something i will probably hang on a stump, but it would probably catch a bass on every throw around here

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Most plastic baits have their place, just like a tool. I have made money with a lot of them. The same with the senko. The senko will work for you if you don't weight it down. Using it Wacky style is a plus at times. You made an investment when you purchase the quality baits like Country Hart said. Senko has a variety of colors, try several. I like the Black/Blue flake.

5. 20ryan11

20ryan11 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I agree, senkos are about the only bait i use anymore, i have alot of luck with the junebug color.

6. thecatman

thecatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    senkos are an awesome bait however i like the walmart ones much better and have the same amount of success with them but it is true you get what you pay for and if your worried about hanging a frog on a stump ya might want to up to braid and in a higher pound quality especially since you dont want much stretch in your line when fishing top waters and i like to fish senko's weightless but rigged like a regular worm

7. Mickey

State:
    Illinois
    This is an older thread but I was wondering if any more of you had tried the Senkos, and what your thoughts were about them.

8. festus

festus New Member

Yeah Mickey, I bought some of the 5" pumpkinseed color paddle tail Senkos about 3 months ago and only tried them once. It was in my sister-in-law's pond, which doesn't contain a lot of big fish. But I did get two small bass about 10" and 11". But those two little fish pretty much destroyed the worm. They're not very durable, but they seem effective.

9. Mickey

State:
    Illinois
    One of my biggest surprises with a senko was when everyone was fishing a jig and pig iin colder water and the bite stopped. I was looking at a black/blue fleck and thought I would give it a try. I was the only one that limited out that day, in a group of 24. No one wanted to believe it bu it was a fact. They are more verse-able that one thinks.

10. festus

festus New Member

I've heard similar stories from throughout the country on Senkos. Next spring I'm gonna get some more of them, assorted sizes. I hear the wacky rigged Senko is really effective. I haven't bass fished enough lately to find out.

11. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Yamamoto is a fisherman.... would you believe that owner hooks is his brand as well....

12. themychal

themychal New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    the walmart brand of senkos are actually the exact same bait, if you look closely you can see GYB impressed upon the plastic. The walmart brand is owned by Gary's son. He simply relabels the plastic and runs a few different colors. They are great baits though, unfortunately they only last a fish or two if you rig them wacky.

13. themychal

themychal New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    one more thing, if you use senkos you need a bottle of mend-it glue, it will save you hundreds of dollars. If you notice one of your senkos is getting thrashed throw it in a separate bag until the day is over then dab on a little mend it and hold the the tore up part together. mend it isnt technically a glue, it is like pvc blue glue, it melts the plastic together so it is as strong as new. this stuff has saved me hundreds of dollars in senkos and plastic swimbaits. its worth its weight in gold. im sure you guys will love it

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descpageMENDGLUE-MIG.html

14. Mickey

State:
    Illinois
    Mychal Welcome to the BOC. If your getting a lot of baits torn up by wacky rigging then go to the O-Ring method. Find an o ring the size of your worm and slide it on, then place the hook through the O-Ring. Worms will last all day with this method.

15. themychal

themychal New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Mickey, I love o-ringing senkos, saves a ton of them when you're wacky rigging, i wish mann's bait company would put out a senko style bait with a hard inch or two in the center, kind of like how they do with their mann's hard nose series of baits. Never fished a better lizard than a mann's hardnose with chartreuse head. Take care.

16. Mickey

State:
    Illinois
    Manns makes a good lizzard. You have a good idea on the hard center. Send them an email to their quality control. You might get what you want and money also. It all starts with an idea.

17. Madtownangler

Madtownangler New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I started using the Yamamoto Senkos a couple years ago and probably catch 100 more bass in a year than I used to. I use the dropshot rig with 1/0 Gamakatsu split shot/drop shot red hooks. My best color is pumpkin w/blk & grn 4" Yamasenko worms. I used to get 3" worms but they don't make them in that color anymore. I drop the worm next to drop-offs and under railroad trestles and kick butt.

But I still prefer a big catfish on a lure any day.