Yamaha Remote Tilt/Trim Switch

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Mr.T, Sep 6, 2006.

1. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    I bought a Yamaha remote tilt/trim switch that I want to install at the bow of my boat so I can tilt the motor (2005 F115) up while I'm up in the front of the boat.

Can't for the life of me figure out where to connect it into the existing wiring harness - the tilt/trim switch on the throttle *must* be connected to at least 3 wires in the harness (up,down and power I'm guessing) but I can't figure out which ones - thought maybe it would be the same color wires as the remote switch but no luck.

Bob? Bubba? Anyone familiar with the wiring harness on a Yamaha?

2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Be aware, those bow mounted switches do short out. I'll check the color code after I get back from lunch.

What colors do you have in your switch.

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Another way to test it is to take a test light on your existing wires and test the wires while applying the switch in the direction of your choice.
    Take the switch you are going to install and test with a ohm meter the same way. I'll see if I can find mu Yamaha Manuel here. It may be stashed in my shed.

4. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    The switch has red, blue and green. Checked with the ohm meter and blue is up, green is down. So I guess Red needs to go to a +12V source.

I'll spend some time poking around in the wiring harness and it'll probably become a lot more clear. I also found the BIA standard wiring color code online at www.brokeboats.com so I'm hoping the Yamaha harness follows that same code.

What's the best way to tap into the existing harness?

I'm thinking I could make up a set of "Y" cables to plug into the existing harness and existing switch, with an extra connector for the new switch. Probably better than putting a tap connector on the wires, eh?

5. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Marty, my manual shows the wiring as being light green, sky blue, and red at the trim switch, but I'm sure bubba or bob will get back to you soon.

6. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Marty you are right on making the Y harness connector. That way is always better and go get you some liquid tape to cover the connections with. This helps keep the (moister) < water :big_smile: out.

7. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Green, Blue, and red were the colors I remembered.

The trim switch in the control handle plugs into the trim harness with the same colors then goes back to the engine and connects with the engine switch and trim motor.

Never under any cicumstances, use those little blue clamp on tap type connectors. They do it on trailers, and that sucks too.

8. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Thanks for all the help - I'll let you know how it comes out...