Yamaha Outboards ?

Discussion in 'Boating' started by Hawk33, Mar 8, 2008.

1. Hawk33

Hawk33 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Wanted to know what everyone's opinion is about Yamaha's 2- Stroke Outboards >?

I'm thinking about purchasing a 15 hp or a 25 hp, for $300 more i can buy a 25 hp...

Yamaha is the only company that i can find that still makes a 2-Stroke brand new in that size outboard.

I appreciate any feedback on this !

HAWK :big_smile:

2. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    Hawk, A friend of mine has an 90 hp on his express. It's very quit , Idle nice and does very well on fuel, If I was going to buy a new motor for mine it would be an Yamaha or Suzuki.

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Good motors in my opinion. If you can get it at that price and it has good compression get it. BTW its the same thing as a tohotsui <sp)

4. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    I have a 2002 40 horse and I've been very happy with it. Quiet and easy starting.

5. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I have a 150 and it's a good engine. Actually a bit big for my boat but has plenty of power if ya need it.

6. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    The only Yamaha outboard I ever owned was a great engine. I don't see how you could go wrong with one.
    BB in SC
    BTW: I think the Tohatsu is a Nissan product, not Yamaha, but I am not positive. Tohatsu is a fine engine too.

7. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill

8. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    Bought a 25hp 2 stroke tiller yamaha last summer. Love it. IMHO very quiet for a carbeurated (spelling?) 2 stroke, but i'm used to 1960's and 1970's engines, so maybe that has something to do with it. Mine says to run 100:1 oil in it if you run their brand oil, but i've been running 50:1. Thats the ratio i'm used to, and the local yamaha mech. said to run 50:1 unless i'm using the motor every day. Dont know the theory, but i sleep better at night this way. Very strong running, no problems. Even running double to recommended oil, and lots of idling, no problems with fouled plugs. Very easy on gas. You'll love it.

9. melstangman1967

melstangman1967 New Member

State:
    missouri
    have to get me a boat

10. melstangman1967

melstangman1967 New Member

State:
    missouri
    how fast can it get you

11. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I have a Yamaha VMAX 200, I know it's not exactly what your discussing but it has been reliable and is a smooth running motor.

12. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have 3 Yamaha motors right now and LOVE them! A 25hp 1989 model(tiller) 2-stroke. A 50hp 2-stroke 2006 with tiller and power tilt and trim. A 2007 150hp 4-stroke. These are all great motors, but I havent had the 150 4-stroke all that long, but so far I LOVE it! So, that is just my opinion and you will be the one that has to live with your choice! If you have any questions about Yamahas send me a PM (The folks at Yamaha Corp know me by name, cause I talked to them alot when I was setting up my big boat and getting it propped!)My 1989 25 hp 2-stroke is on a motor stand in the garage and looks almost like new! :wink:

13. daniel-delarosa

daniel-delarosa New Member

State:
    seminole, oklahoma
    My 19' toon has a 2006 50hp 2-stroke. It starts easy, very quiet and great on fuel.

14. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Daniel, I didnt even mention that my 50hp 2-stroke was REAL quite! It is quiter than my 25hp 2-stroke, of course the 25 is 17 year old technology! Now my 150hp is a 2007 4-stroke and its the quitest, but for a 2-stroke that 50 is NICE!:wink:

15. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    I have a 1990 150 hp Yamaha on my 18 ft center console and it runs great.
    Chip

16. WaterHog

WaterHog New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I'm a merc man. But, I've never know anyone who didn't like their Yms.

17. Catfishrob

Catfishrob New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Everything is being outsourced to foreign countries. China is now selling outboards. I heard some motors and parts are being made for the big outboard makers in China and other countries. I still like the USA workmanship on the old Evinrudes and Johnsons. ETECS look and run good.

Check this out. http://chineseoutboards.com/

18. catfever

catfever Member

State:
    conway,s.c.
    I also bought one last year, 25hp, cheap on gas, i took my 40 yamaha off and i am saving enough in gas to pay for the new motor, i also mix it 50:1, like Matt said, i think it will last longer that way.

19. roughneckcatman

roughneckcatman New Member

State:
    St. Joseph, Missouri
    I have a 90hp Yamaha on my boat and i love it!!:smile2: I think if i were buying a big 4 stroke i would buy a Susuki but as far as 2 strokes Yamaha is tough to beat in my opinion!!!

20. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    What is your boat's max. horsepower rating? Its illegal in most states to overpower any boat. I would go with a 25 if I were you, with the 15 you'll most likely be kicking yourself later when you have people in the boat and want to keep it going good!!