Yamaha Motors - Opinions Please

Discussion in 'Boating' started by Koon, Oct 17, 2009.

1. Koon

Koon New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I've been sold on all the reviews and demo's I've reseached on the Evinrude Etech... but the boat I'm most interested only comes in a Yamaha... so whats everyones opinion on these motors?

2. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I had a yamaha 9.9 and messed around and sold it . That was a dumb ass mistake on my part , I wish I had that sucker back . I also have a 50 horse evinrude that is great , but I would trade it in a minute for that yamahamma

3. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    I was the opposite , my dealer didn't have the Yamaha on the boat I wanted and I didn't want to wait three months for him to get another one.I had to go with the etec.lol
    That being said 90% of my friends run the yamaha and they love it.I have never heard anything bad about a yamaha.

4. One Legged Josh

One Legged Josh New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have a yammy on my new boat and couldnt be happier with an outboard. I has loads of power and quick response time.

5. Salthart

Salthart New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    We all have our own reasons for feeling as we do about whatever. I have had a good many outboards down through the years and OMC's are my pic. But having said that,,,,, There is not an outboard on the market today that I know of that I wouldn't have.

I have never owned a BAD Yamaha anything. My first guitar ? Yahama. My First dirt bike and many after that ? Yamaha. But if I had money to buy what I wanted, I'd make up my mind just what I was looking for and then I would look for bids from the dealers around and be it Merc or OMC or Yamaha or Nissan or Suzuki ( I know less than nothing about Force engines ) Whatever, I'd get the price and have little worries that either of those engines would do a good job for me.

6. roadkill636

roadkill636 New Member

State:
    warrenton misso
    what ever boat you are looking at it can have whatever motor you want on it!!!!! it is the dealer that wants to sell you their brand of motor....peried.........

7. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    For what it's worth, I got an 09' 115/80 4-stroke Yamaha jet last year on my boat. Have had it over a year now, roughly 140-/+ hrs on so far and really haven't had a problem with it, but still pretty new. Maintanence is pretty easy with it and seems to be good on gas even for a jet, compared to the 2-strokes. So far I'm not regretting it, it has given me trouble free service.

8. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana

Trust me, if the dealer wants to sell that boat bad enough, they can put another motor on it for u. I know of a few people who boat triton G3s and they come with yamahas. but they wanted mercurys and told the dealer put on a merc and ill buy the boat and they did.....As for the yamaha motor. We bought an 07 titon G3 deep V back in 06 brand new and it had a 115 yamaha two stroke on it. I love the motor. its got lots of power and quick response. i do wish it was better on gas but thats what u give up when u get a two stroke. and the thing burns up very little oil for being a two stroke. i love my yamaha. and even tho we are looking at getting a bigger motor, it will prolly still be a yamaha. the only thing i dont like about mine is that it is the most cold natured motor i have ever seen in my life. it doesnt matter what time of year it is, u still have to crank on it. and when its cold outside its hell getting it to turn over. but once its running its a champ! :big_smile:

9. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana

Trust me, if the dealer wants to sell that boat bad enough, they can put another motor on it for u. I know of a few people who boat triton G3s and they come with yamahas. but they wanted mercurys and told the dealer put on a merc and ill buy the boat and they did.....As for the yamaha motor. We bought an 07 titon G3 deep V back in 06 brand new and it had a 115 yamaha two stroke on it. I love the motor. its got lots of power and quick response. i do wish it was better on gas but thats what u give up when u get a two stroke. and the thing burns up very little oil for being a two stroke. i love my yamaha. and even tho we are looking at getting a bigger motor, it will prolly still be a yamaha. the only thing i dont like about mine is that it is the most cold natured motor i have ever seen in my life. it doesnt matter what time of year it is, u still have to crank on it. and when its cold outside its hell getting it to turn over. but once its running its a champ! :big_smile:

10. santeefishhunter

santeefishhunter New Member

State:
    north caro
    I have a 2001 Yamaha 150 OX66 2 stroke with over 1800 hours and it is still running great. If it ever blows,I'll go back with another Yamaha! :big_smile:

11. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I've got a 90 Yahama 2 stroke, 2002 model, with over 500 hours and no problems, other than a neutral safety switch that broke.
    A good friend recently got a 90 Etec, and he loves it, too, so far. They programmed it so he wouldn't have to use the high priced oil, too, and it seems to be better on fuel than my engine.

12. huls1

huls1 New Member

State:
    alabama
    i have a 2004 115 four stroke on my bass boat and love it it is smooth and quiet and so far have had no problems, the only thing i have noticed is it is not as quick out of the hole but other than that i would buy another one

13. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    i have a 115 on a 20 ft cc i have had zero trouble i LOVE IT !

14. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    You guys do know that Yamaha and merc have a whole lot in common

15. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    nothing wrong with a yammie, but, i did own a 90 hp that had a problem with the drainage on the foot. i left mine up on the transom saver after a winter trip and it froze and pushed the bearings and seal out. the dealer said that the 90 had a design flaw that caused it and it was warrantied. always let your motor down after a winter trip to drain the water. that being said, my stepson has a 90 e-tec that is a great motor too. that thing is quiet and uses less fuel than the 90 2-stroke yammie that i had.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
  16. Andy52

Andy52 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    Franklin, I'm have a 1993 yamaha 90hp jet on my boat that was bought new. I've had......no.....problems with it in over 15 years and I use it a lot.
    Other than regular maintenance and tune-ups, it has never broken down on me.

17. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    My G3 came stock with a Yamaha Outboard, I had them re-power it to an ETEC at the dealer.

Go with what you like :wink:

18. fishmonster13

fishmonster13 Member

State:
    cincinnati,ohio
    i had heard that yamaha was making mercs power heads, don't know if this true or not

Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
  19. tyrupp

tyrupp New Member

State:
    Ellis,Kans
    What exactly do they have in common? I have a 2001 merc 25 horse, It would make me feel a lot better if they had a lot in common. I've had nightmares from late 1960's and 70's merc outboards. Thanks Willard for any information

20. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    TY your power head was most likely built by Yamaha. I would choose the etech myself but I wouldn't give a second thought about owning a Yamaha if the etech wasn't available to me. I like both engines.