Yamaha 40 HP 4 Stroke Starter

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Gordhawk, Oct 1, 2006.

1. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    When I first try to start the engine,it just act's like the starter bendix isn't kicking in. Sometimes I have to hit the ignition switch several times before it will turn the engine over. Any ideas?

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Clean all your connections to the starter and battery and see if that helps if it don't I'll give you a way to test the selnoid to see if it is going south and you might run that bendix up by hand and apply a thin coat od grease to the shaft that it rides up and down on.
    When you clean those connections take you some sand paper or a small file and clean them real good. That most of the time cures the problem.

3. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    My Yamaha 25 4-stroke was doing the same thing. Cleaned the cables. And found out it was the cable needed tightened up on the starter.
    PEte

4. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hey Bubba & Shiloh,
    Thanks for the ideas on my starter problem. I haven't had a chance to check it out yet but when I do I'll be back to let you know what the problem was.
    Thanks again,
    Glenn

5. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I think I finally figured out what my problem is. I think I have a battery that's going bad on me. I went fishing this past Tues.(10-24-06) and the motor wouldn't hardly start. Just seemed like the battery didn't have enough power to kick the solenoid into the flywheel. I think since the temperature has cooled off it's really exposing the weak battery. You think this could be my problem?
    P.S. Seems like after the initial startup then the motor will start as soon as you hit the ignition switch.

6. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Take that battery to any auto sone store and have it load tested and yes if a battery can't maintain a proper amperage it will make the starter act this way.