Yamaha 40 4 stroke or merc 40 4 stroke

Discussion in 'Boating' started by Bait Boat, Mar 8, 2008.

1. Bait Boat

Bait Boat New Member

State:
    Arkansas. Green
    Wondering what people think about them.

2. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Pros and cons for both. 4 strokes get much better mileage, but are heavier and much more expensive initially. If I had the money, I'd go with a four stroke, but many folks will say they wouldn't have one.
    Bill in SC

3. Threadkilla

Threadkilla New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I have only heard good things about both brands of four strokes.

I choose Yamaha only because of preference.

4. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    LOL, sorry I missed the point. I'm sure either would be good. Between the two, I'd go with Yamaha.
    BB in SC

5. bc179whitetail

bc179whitetail New Member

State:
    St.Louis Missouri
    I would go with a Yamaha. I have a 225 yamaha on my charger bass boat and just bought a 25 HP four stroke for our john boat.

6. James Bentley

James Bentley New Member

State:
    N.C.
    I never had any thing but a Merc. I have a new 50 HP, I love the gas milage,at todays gas price,any good 4-stroke will pay for itsself,I can do mostall the service work at home,gas is goning to just get higher ,the 50 Merc. pushes my 16ft.Princecraft as fast as I need to go. 4 -stroke is the way to go:big_smile:

7. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have a Yamaha 40 Horse 4 Stroke and I love it. Gets good gas mileage,quiet,and will push my 17' deep V between 30-35MPH with 2 people in the boat. I've also owned a Mercury 4 Stroke and it was a good motor too,but the biggest difference I seen between the 2 motors was the Yamaha is a little bit quieter. In my opinion you can't go wrong with either one of them.

8. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have a Mercury 115 EXLPT 4 stroke and so far it has been a good motor. Starts every time in first couple seconds, runs smooth as silk, and gets fair gas mileage compared to my old motor. If it lasts for the next 20 to 30 years, I will give it a thumbs up if not.... then its a piece of junk.:smile2:

9. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    One of the main things you have to consider here is the availability of a dealer shop that can do warrenty work on them both. If you are stuck dragging that boat 200 miles to get warrenty work done and gas at 3 bucks a gal you ain't saving a whole lot, I like both engines myself.

10. Bait Boat

Bait Boat New Member

State:
    Arkansas. Green
    Thanks guys I've got it down to these 2 motors

11. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Boat brands, reel brands, favorite rod, etc. all these are a persons personal preferance. I LOVE Yamaha motors and have never owned a Mercury so, What would you guess my pick would be? The bottom line is this......YOU will be the person who has to live with your choice! So be HAPPY and sure of what you want before you get it!:wink:

12. catdaddy007

catdaddy007 Member

State:
    SE Arkansas
    I'm a Mercury man all the way.I've never owned any other brand.

13. duckalot

duckalot Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have a 90 hp. Yamaha 4 stroke and have not had any trouble at all. But If I was buying another it would be a 4 stroke Suzuki. If you have a Dealer anywhere near you Check them Out. Good luck