Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
Pros and cons for both. 4 strokes get much better mileage, but are heavier and much more expensive initially. If I had the money, I'd go with a four stroke, but many folks will say they wouldn't have one.
Bill in SC

·
Registered
86 Posts
I never had any thing but a Merc. I have a new 50 HP, I love the gas milage,at todays gas price,any good 4-stroke will pay for itsself,I can do mostall the service work at home,gas is goning to just get higher ,the 50 Merc. pushes my 16ft.Princecraft as fast as I need to go. 4 -stroke is the way to go:big_smile:

·
Registered
994 Posts
I have a Yamaha 40 Horse 4 Stroke and I love it. Gets good gas mileage,quiet,and will push my 17' deep V between 30-35MPH with 2 people in the boat. I've also owned a Mercury 4 Stroke and it was a good motor too,but the biggest difference I seen between the 2 motors was the Yamaha is a little bit quieter. In my opinion you can't go wrong with either one of them.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I have a Mercury 115 EXLPT 4 stroke and so far it has been a good motor. Starts every time in first couple seconds, runs smooth as silk, and gets fair gas mileage compared to my old motor. If it lasts for the next 20 to 30 years, I will give it a thumbs up if not.... then its a piece of junk.:smile2:

·
Registered
623 Posts
Boat brands, reel brands, favorite rod, etc. all these are a persons personal preferance. I LOVE Yamaha motors and have never owned a Mercury so, What would you guess my pick would be? The bottom line is this......YOU will be the person who has to live with your choice! So be HAPPY and sure of what you want before you get it!:wink:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.