Yamaha 2 strokes ?

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Little Mac, Sep 14, 2005.

1. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    Couldnt find anywhere else to post this so here goes. What are your opinions on the yamaha 2 stroke in the 40-60 hp range. are they reliable and if not what years are not and what years are. I am thinking of buying one for my ski-barge and didnt want to buy a bad product. Thanks in advance. Mac

2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Yamaha makes a very reliable engine.

As in anything mechanical, it can be abused without proper maintenance.

3. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    Thanks Bobpaul, I figured yamaha, Honda, Not sure about Nissan but their cars run pretty good. LOL cant afford a 4 stroke and will have to finance a 2 stroke. amazing aint it. LOL

4. scout

scout Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Hey little mac, I have to agree with Bob. Yamaha makes a great engine especially in that h.p. range. The old school technology carb. Yamaha 2-strokes are very reliable. :)

5. oldprowler

oldprowler New Member

State:
    Mannford, Oklahoma
    little mac: I have a 40 hp yamaha on my pontoon. In my experience it has been very reliable, fairly low maintenance and certainly not a gas hog. Like BobPaul says though you do have to do the routine maintenance like the owners manual says if you want to get the most use out of it.

6. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Not to try and talk you out of your 2 stroke but the new four strokes are awesome, and have great gas mileage. I have a 2005 Mercury four stroke 75hp on my 17' Triton and I can get a weekend of fishing on 12 gallons going about 70 miles or more.

7. ar_confederate

ar_confederate New Member

State:
    Minden, Lo
    Hi. I have a 1995 Yamaha 40 hp on my boat. I bought it used from someone that I knew would have taken care of it. It's been a great motor and hasn't let me down. The only thing that I found surprising is that the oil ratio for my model is 1:100. I also find the gas consumption a pleasant surprise.

8. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    WOW, thanks guys for the replies, I knew this would be the right place to ask. Thanks again. SOunds like a good motor.

9. dudlbugr

dudlbugr New Member

State:
    Cleveland, AL
    Jim,
    My 55 is a 94 model. Runs great. No complaints at all... well... except for having to clean the carbs some, but I took care of that with StaBil. Running in the silty-sandy MS river for 11 years, I figured it was time to change the water pump... The impellor had bare minimum damage, but I'm glad I did it anyway.
    I actually talked to a Nissan dealer when I went to buy the motor. I buy tires from him as well, and count his advice as super. He told me, "reb, if you don't mind spending a little extra, and want a great motor, go buy a Yamaha." How could I discount that advice, considering that he was a Nissan, and not Yamaha, dealer?
    Hopefully in the market for a 90 in a year or so... and it will be a Yamahama!

10. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Jim, I've never owned one but I know several folks that fish the semi pro circuits that swear by Yamaha. Nothing but a Yamaha.
    Mind you these boats are sponsored boats so the boat and motors are kept up for them and probally well kept but that's the way it should be with any motor.

11. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    I have a 1995 75 horse yamaha motor on my boat and have been very pleased with it. I'm not the orginal owner of the boat but know it has been used a LOT. The only thing that's really broken on the motor was the tilt trim relay which was a easy fix. The only other things I've spent money on was water pump and plugs as part of regular maintance.

12. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I have a 1995 85hp 2 stroke Yamaha on my pontoon. Have never touched the motor other than a few lower end oil changes. Always add a little Sta-bil to the gas every winter. Kept it in the water for 9 years.
    I bought it new and the only complaint is that it's a gas hog compared to my new 4 stroke Mercury on my fishing boat.

13. 98custom

98custom New Member

State:
    Northwest Flori
    i was talking to a man and he said that a 40hp 2 stroke is as powerful as about a 60hp 4 stroke. Is this true? I figure you guuys would know.

14. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    I see a 20 hp difference.

15. dudlbugr

dudlbugr New Member

State:
    Cleveland, AL
    Bobpaul,

Is this 20 HP difference real or imagined? If it is real, is it from the 100-150 lb difference? For motor durability, I would love to have a 4 stroke. For cost, weight, and possible power difference..... well...???

16. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Horse power is calculated at the prop so 2 cycle /four cycle should be the same.

17. turtle1173

turtle1173 New Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    From my understanding, it takes a larger horsepower 4 stroke to deliver the same speed & performance of a 2 stroke.

Example: My 60 HP 2 stroke would deliver better speed on my boat than a 60 HP 4 stroke would. Granted, the gas consumption would be considerably greater. Is this not true?

18. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    It depends a lot on the prop selection, like on my 75hp 4 stroke I run a 20p stainless prop, but a 2 stroke might run more pitch. But what a 2 stroke doesnt have is the torque. A 75hp 2 stoke will be faster on my boat also because it weighs less and it turns more rpm. But I can guarantee that I will beat it out of the holeshot every time.

19. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    This is getting interesting. I would like to hear comparisons from others, too. I don't have experience with 4-strokes myself, but have been wondering ever since a friend bought a 16' Blue Wave boat with a 60hp 4-stroke yamaha. The boat takes foreeeeever to get on plane with any load at all, even with a hyrofin. He says the prop is what the dealer recommended. Once he finally gets on plane, the boat runs ok as far as speed is concerned, although the boat lists to one side pretty bad while under way. The boat is a fairly light boat for it's size - a 60 should be adequate.
    What is the experience of someone who maybe has switched from a 2 to a 4-stroke in the same power range?

20. Kittyhunter

Kittyhunter New Member

State:
    Princeton, NC
    The 4 stroke will definately weigh more but I don't think it is slower. I have a friend who has a 25 Yamaha 4 stroke, I have a 15 Evinrude 2 stroke, and although his is only 10hp more, it's twice as fast out of the hole and top speed. I think equal hp you will find the 4 faster and more powerful than the 2 with the right prop selection. Not to mention the gas mileage. My next purchase will no doubt be a 4.