Yamaha 2 stroke question

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by SwiftWater, Apr 2, 2006.

1. SwiftWater

SwiftWater New Member

State:
    Central Virginia
    I'm new to the world of outboards. I own a new 05, 25hp outboard and have used it twice in a lake. I'm still in the break in stage. I have 2 questions.

1. Is it normal for water to be coming out of the exhaust holes on the shaft?

2. After the first outting I parked the boat and trailer. When I went out yesterday I noticed what appears to be a dried up black residue on the inner part of my prop and on the blades. I ran the motor yesterday for about 2 hrs total and there is no reoccurrence of the mystery liquid. Is this gear oil?

I know after the first 10 hrs of use I'm supposed to change the gear oil per the owners manual. I have a total of 4 hours logged on this motor.

2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Yes it's normal for water to be coming out of the holes.

You should be using a break in mix, which will put more oil out with the unburned fuel. The black residue is from exhaust not gear oil. If it were gear oil, it would be a lighter clear color.

When you do change the lower unit oil, don't worry about the fine hairs of metal on the magnet attached to one of the lower unit plugs. It's normal wear from break in.

3. SwiftWater

SwiftWater New Member

State:
    Central Virginia
    Yes the break in mix is 25:1 and afterwards it is 100:1. I was unsure of the water coming out of the exhaust because the first outing I really didn't pay attention to it. When I went out friday I was 7 miles from the ramp when I noticed the water coming out of the exhaust and to tell you the truth I was kind of worried. Thanks for the help, BobPaul.

4. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    You better recheck that 100:1 mix.

Never heard of a small Yamaha in 2005 running on 100:1

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I am with Bob on this. The only oil I know of that is 100% synthic that will even hold up at 100:1 is still not TCW-3 rated and if you want to keep that motor running You need it at a 50:1 mix

6. SwiftWater

SwiftWater New Member

State:
    Central Virginia
    Bobpaul and Bubbakat, the dealer said to use a 100:1 gas to oil mix after the break-in. The manual also states that a 100:1 mix is required after the initial 10 hour break-in period. The dealer stated on the sale receipt that this is a 06 outboard. I looked on the outboard and year it was manufactured is 8/05. The owners manual was printed 6/05. Since this outboard was manufactured later in the year would it be a 06 model?

Thanks,
    D

7. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Yea it could be manufactured that way. If the dealer said to use at 100:1 mix and if it was mine he would have to put it in writing for me to use it at 100:1 mix.
    Now this is just my opinion only. There is no way I can see an engine lasting long at 100;1 mix. If the dealer and Manuel says 100;1 mix and you feel comfortable with that then by all means go for it.

But like I stated, get it in writing.

8. SwiftWater

SwiftWater New Member

State:
    Central Virginia
    bubbakat, I got this off of the Yamaha site.

"Yamaha’s 100:1 Gas/Oil Premix Ratio on portable models dramatically reduces smoke, odor, fumes and plug fouling. It protects your engine and cuts your oil expense in half."

I'm using the Yamaha brand of oil (it's in the shed so i'm not sure of the proper name/grade). Maybe they have a special blend? LOL
    Not sure, but if I were to use another ratio, I would be shooting myself in the foot as far as the 2 year warranty goes.

Thanks for the help.

9. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    It seems mighty strange that it would require the same breakin oil mix as other outboards, than reduce it to half of what other outboards use for normal use.

Of course 100:1 reduces smoke, and polution, not to mention lubrication of internal parts.

Other outboards had a 100:1 mix but came out with a service order later on and changed it back to 50:1

The oil injected engines run a pump with linkage hooked to excellorator linkage that allows for a varying ratio, that mixes about 100:1 at idle to a richer mix at full throttle.

Have you ever heard of "Engineered Obsolesence"?

Engineered to break down in a certain amount of time to insure the needs for maintenance and more parts. It keeps the company flowing.

I've got my doubts on this one.

10. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    If it was my motor, I would definitely go by the owners manual.

I always go by the owners manual. The dealer says change the oil in my Chevy AV every 3000 miles.. my owners manual says change it when the oil change light comes on or every year, whichever is first.

11. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I remember when OMC brought out that same conception I think in the 70's or 80's and there are a lot of OMC engines laying in the bone yard because of it.
    I was not telling you to do as I say and not as you warranty states. Do as exactly as your warranty states but have it in writing.

I won't comment on this any more.