Yall have finally made me a believer in circle hooks!

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by teaysvalleyguy, Jun 20, 2007.

1. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Well, I have tried them before to no avail. Maybe I just was not setting up right or maybe just not big enough fish.

Well, I had not given up on em. My buddy got permission to fish an old farm pond tonight in South Bloomfield. It was a little hike to get to but we fished it. It was kind of last minute so only bait we had were good ol worms and chicken liver.

There is a farm pond that actually has a little channel that runs into a small gravel pit. We fished the pond for a couple hours and only got bull heads to bite. We were tearing em up. lol

We went to the gravel pit and I baited (with a gob of worms) up my 6600 Rocket, on my Gator Rod, with a 7/0 Diiachi Circle Chunk light hook on it.

It was a purdy sound that was made. The line had only been in the water maybe 5 minutes when it sung that wonderful song. I was amazed at that sound. I have heard that is is nice to hear, but to actually hear my reel doing it was amazing. lol

I locked er down and started reeling. Like a charm that hook sunk in and I reeled in a nice 8-9# Channel cat. It was perfectly hooked in the corner of the mouth. I also caught a small channel after that on the same setup.

I am glad I never gave up and listened to yall talk about em so much. I will switch to them from now on.

Only bad part of the trip was that it was a private pond and could not use the fish for the fishoff. But, still pleanty of time left for that.

Thanks for all those that talk up the circle hooks, I am a believer now.

2. Barry Nelson

Barry Nelson New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I was pretty skeptical of circle hooks at first, but i swear by them too now.

:0a23:

3. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Way to go Matt, Sound's like you guy's a nice time.:big_smile_2:

4. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Tea - Glad you had some success using circles!:smile2: I like to use them in certain situations but also prefer kahles and j-hooks for other conditions. I think one of the most important things I have discovered over the years with fishing is to never become one dimensional. Try new things, try them under different conditions and decide what works best for each situation. I do a lot of experimenting at times and discover techniques that I otherwise would never have used or learned. I make mental and sometimes written notes of my experiences and the 1st time I really gave circles a good try I had a great night and learned a lot about how to use them. I hope you have continued success!:big_smile:

5. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    tea i to have good luck with circle hooks but not all the time.when the fish are realy hammering the bait you cant beat them.othr times when they are just toying with the bait i switch to j hooks so i can cross their eyes.

6. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    I didn't like them at first either. My stepson and I were fishing about 3 years ago and we ran out of hooks. He and my uncle went to the bait store to buy some more hooks and he accidently bought circle hooks. I used them before that and didn't care much for them. But I went ahead and used them that day and been using them ever since.

7. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I still have not caught one fish on a circle hook. Over the past three years, I cannot remember one fish taking the bait and trying to swim away. They need to load the pole for a circle to be effective and none that I have caught has even tried to bend the pole. The hooks are probably okay, under given situations, but I doubt they are for ever day fishing where the fish just nibbles and does not take off like a freight train. I;ll keep trying them, because of the recommendations I have from people I respect which use them...but they have to prove themselves and they have not yet.

8. teaysvalleyguy

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I actually just put my clicker on, when it started to sing I just picked up the rod slowly. Locked it and started reeling in, worked like a charm.

But, trust me, I understand your frustration with em!!!

9. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    My one and only experience with them was last summer. My Lady Friend and I went fishing one evening! I put a goldfish on a circle hook and threw it out. My lady friend said "Watch it Pat you've got a goodbite" Well I was waiting for the silly thing to load up as I have read posts on.Well the short of it is this!! My Gold fish disappeared and the rod never loaded up,so maybe I'm making a mistake but I stopped using the Circles and switched to Tru-Turn Premiums for CatFish. If they're gonna steal the bait on a Circle Hook I'd just as soon not give them another chance to do that!-------Sister Pat:big_smile:

10. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Tea......Are you sure your ok?:tounge_out: Were beginning to worry about ya down here in arkansas:lol:

11. teaysvalleyguy

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Alive and kicken buddy, thanks for asking.

12. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Them Daichii Circle Chunk Lights are good hooks, I just wish I could afford to use them all of the time. :roll_eyes: They are still my go to hook when fishing for blues in water that isn't too snaggy.

13. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    circle hooks, I swear by'em, also use khales and straight "J" bait holders. use all of'em in diff situations, always playing an experimenting to see what works an what doesnt. i have noticed circles work best on jugs an trots an med action rods. I have missed sev hits if th rod is too stiff. just my experience.

14. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Congratulations Tea!!!!! That sounds like a fantastic fish and I"m glad you put the ol' whoopin' on him.

I've begun using circle hooks in certain situations as well. Matter of fact, I use circle hooks exclusively in rivers, when drifting in a boat, and I'm going to start using them exclusively on my jugs/noodles. In other words, any situation where the current, movement of the bait, or something like that will cause the fish to set the hook himself. Since I began using circles in the river, I haven't missed hardly any fish at all. That's saying something for me, because when I get a bite it's usually "Whiff!!!!" or "Swish!!!" of my hookset, followed by "$#%^&#%$!!!!! I love to set the hook. Love it love it love it, but I'm learning that in certain situations, circle hooks work so well that I need to use them. If I'm just sitting on a bank at a pond or lake, I use kahle hooks so that I can nail the "peckers" that just nibble at my bait.

Check out my post in the bluecat section on my new pb I caught last night. I nailed him in very heavy current in the river, using an 8/0 circle hook and a big shad head for bait. When used in the proper setting, circle hooks just can't be beat.

15. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    glad you didn't give up on them tea. they are not for every situation, but they are definitely a good tool to have in your arsenal.
    heck, if we didn't need a tool for every situation, we couldn't tote around these fancy bags of hooks, sinkers, swivels, beads, pliers.......
    the list don't end!

16. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    Tea like you I got some circles and tried them nut did not like their performance at all. That was untill a couple local catfishing hotshots finally coached me in their proper use. The last 2 weekends the very hook you used the Daichi 7/0 Circle Chunk Lite has been responsible for 320 pounds of blues making their way to my freezer. I am "hooked" now too.

Cheez