Ya'll gonna get it first hand now

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by Bobpaul, Jan 27, 2007.

1. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    I don't usually do this to friends, but Mark Johnson gives out such good advice, I thought it would be good to actually see the BOC moderator, boat builder, renovate a pontoon.

Mark has taken on a project that I know will be top of the line when it's finished.

I passed along my 24' pontoon in need of renovation, to Mark. He was smiling when he left here. I hope he stays that way:lol:

He left behind his 60 hp Mariner for me to get right. Bet I finish the motor before he finishes the boat.

Attached Files:

2. troyedm

troyedm New Member

State:
    edmond oklahoma
    is that an older tracker pontoon, bob? i like the way it is all open. i am going to have to redo my seating next year. think i will just take all of it off except the console and live well flip/flop.

3. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    You sure it just wasn't the beer? lol:eek:oooh:
    Looks like he has a nice boat to start with from what I can see in the pic's.

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Okay, I know we are speaking english, just loosing something in the interputation. Did you GIVE Mark the Pontoon, did Mark agree to refurbish the Pontoon, or did Mark like purchase the pontoon? Or like, is it none of my business. LOL

5. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Yeah, that's right.:roll_eyes:

6. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I Sure did not know you did not like mark. Man to do that to him,:eek:oooh: Now he will have to do some work..
    I just love to see peoples face when that happens .:big_smile:
    Pete

7. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    If any one can renovate it, it would be MarkJ. I have tapped his knowledge on the boat building subject several times, and always got a straight up answer. He knows his stuff, and if he lived a little closer I would take him fishin just for the answers he always gave me..... Besides i would like to meet him and thank him personally for his help. :big_smile:

8. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Well Bob , you could not have released it into a more capable hands or mind. I will bet it will come out shinning like a new quarter.:cool2:

9. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Willard, yea, I told Bob next time he saw it he would be using a pontoon to primp his hair. Shinier then a new quarter.:lol:

I dont know if yall have ever dealt with Bob before but he drives a hard bargain. I asked him how much he would knock off for the sizable dent in the port pontoon and his reply was "50 cents".
    I mean no carpet, no back on the captain's chair, and no breaks from Bob.
    The only headway I made was on the expired registration sticker. I asked what he would knock off for the dead tag meaning no free use for me.
    That time he said , "we'll talk about it".
    I bet it slipped his mind already like the keys to the gate.:lol:

10. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Dang, some people would complain if their tit was in a brand new ringer.:roll_eyes:

I never charged you for the battle scars, even knocked off 50 cents.

One thing I forgot to tell you. When you get that barge off the trailer, the bunks need new carpet. Yeah, yeah, I know, rufund's in the mail:cool2:

Mark, I'm sure you'll do the name of that boat justice and make it look like what the name suggests, "Riviera Cruiser".

11. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Bob, you know I will and there really isn't enough thanks I can give.
    You are part of our family here and always will be. I have an 8 year old daughter that loves her Bobpaul. The pictures you posted weren't enough evidence to her. I had to drive her down to the barn and shine the headlights on the pontoon for her. All she said was, "yea daddy it's here. Bobpaul's boat. it's BIG":big_smile:
    I didn't have the heart to show her the bill of sale and explain to her what "sold as is" means.

To be honest with those reading the thread, me and Bob joke around.
    I could bolt a motor on it tomorrow and dump it in the lake Monday. Its usable.
    The floor is solid but, there are some real small cracks where the structure joins the toons and probally some small ones in the toons themselves.
    The transom mount is cracked.

Its a no brainer. the deck has to come off so I can clean the toons and inspect them top to bottom. We'll put some air in them and use alot of leak detect to find any cracks. Since I'm going that far I'll refloor it with new plywood and may opt to downsize the plywood and glass it with mat and epoxy which would save right much weight.
    The Charbroil gas grill that came with the pontoon boat is in remarkable shape and at worst just needs a new burner and a few steaks on it.
    I can already see building a new console catered to hold my electronics.
    I'm turning over some plans in my head and will continue to do so while I strip it and do a frame off restoration. Alot can be done with a 24 foot pontoon.

Riviera Cruiser might hire me as a designer when I'm done.

12. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Thanks Mark. I can just see that little gal in my mind worry'n you to go see the boat. Big smile here!!!

13. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Mark, when you get in your head what you want to do with that console please post some pictures of it ( console) so I can build me a new one also. Mine is in good shape but has no where to put the electronics at all. I am ordering mercs new controls that go on the consol and want the gages where I can see them.
    Aside from a place to hang the wheel and the cup holders on top this one is about useless. I am in the process of installing 1 inch blocks under the fencing so as to raise the fence up off the carpet to get rid of the mold factor that seems to plague all toons.
    I saw some new toons and they had the fence up about 1 inch and that is where I came up with the idea.

In the right rear corner I am going to redesign the seat so it will lift up and make a area to use the Porte pot-tie and then lay back down for storage.

I need all the ides you come up with because you are way smarter then I am on this.

14. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Willard, Carolina skiff has some decent consoles.
    Many of those dealer sites has the build a boat option which gives every dimension of the 4 different sized consoles they offer.