Yak With a Livewell

Discussion in 'Kayaker and Canoe Fishing' started by Katmandeux, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Malibu Stealth. Has anyone seen one?

They don't appear to be big enough for a lot of big baits, but would probably take a half-dozen bullheads or 'gills. Interesting.

2. Yakdawg

Yakdawg New Member

State:
    Cumming, GA
    I have not seen one in person yet, but have seen them on the internet, that looks like a really great yak! I am interested to see one of the stealth's when they come out!

3. schoonie

schoonie New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Good lookin' yak. Certainly cannot go wrong with Mailbu quality.

4. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    There are some nice looking pictures here: http://www.allkayakfishing.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3738 .

(Disclaimer: This is not an advertisement, endorsement, nor recommendation for this other forum site. Please stick with the BOC Kayaker and Canoe Fishing forum for all of your kayaking questions and ideas!)

The seat looks like it could be way too hot on summer days, unlike the Heritage seats that are outstanding. I'm not too keen on having all of that space under my legs dedicated to a well, either wet or dry. The storage compartments are cool, but again, a lot of wasted space when a tethered dry bag will do.

Malibu Kayaks were designed from the get-go for surf fishing. They focus on California surf fishing. I'm not saying that they don't make a great fishing platform, but it's good to know the origin of the species, so to speak. Study the deck lines of the Stealth for a while and you'll see why it is a surf craft, not necessarily a river or lake craft by design.

I still stand by my Heritage Redfish 12' Angler. Its purpose and origin is a lot closer to catfishing, in my opinion.

5. Lucian

Lucian New Member

State:
    Michigan
    The seat pictured is the COD Apex 1, which are similar to the surf to summit GTX seats. Both offer great support and not bad for being hot, I have used both. I also have a heritage redfish, but I prefer the GTX or Apex seats. I currently use the Surf to Summit Expedition, which just has more padding in the seat. I would not use anything else for all day comfort.

As a note the Malibu's unlike the Redfish do not come with a seat, you purchase the seat separately and are thus free to look around at other manufacturers seats.

6. Kansas Tree Rat

Kansas Tree Rat New Member

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
    I love Malibu but am not that crazy about the stealth. Seems to specialized to me.

7. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I stand corrected, Lucian. I forgot that Malibu does not outfit their yaks with seats. They do provide the molded-in child seat on the front hatch cover, though. I believe that they also forego the foot pegs, using molded footrests instead.