Yak power

Discussion in 'Kayaker and Canoe Fishing' started by CoonX, Nov 7, 2007.

1. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
  2. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    I guess that would get you to the fishing hole but with all that hardware sticking up in front of you it would make the yak almost useless for fishing from. Everything you catch will be hanging the line in the motor. I had to take my 6 inch high bow light off and go to a flush mount for that same reason.

3. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I have to agree with Jerry, Will. Besides, there's something right down blasphemous in adding a motor to a kayak...kinda defeats the purpose of a nice, quiet, and peaceful ride. I always say that, when I'm out paddling, if I happen to catch anything, well, I suppose I can put up with the inconvenience of pulling in a fish!

Oh well, to each his own... :big_smile:

4. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    Gotta admit tho, there have been times when the tide was running the wrong way and the wind was against me I would have paid good money to have had that motor !! :wink:

5. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    That sure would make it alot easier to get back to the truck with a good head wind:big_smile:

6. ronlyn239

ronlyn239 New Member

State:
    Bartlesvil
    I am 67, and don't have the upper body strength I used to. Believe me, a trolling motor is a great temptation. It certainly wouldn't take much away from the stealth, although you would lose some skinny water capability. (As you would with the Mirage Paddle system.)

7. schoonie

schoonie New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    It would sure be nice on small ponds or lakes.

8. fishgord

fishgord New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Ditto, 65 here and I have a small mini kota I have thought about some temp mount if needed on a windy day trying to get back to the barn. Mine is only a 9'7" inflatable as a starter fishing Yak.

9. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    Don't forget that when you add a trolling motor ya gotta have a good sized battery. That plus the motor will add a lot of weight to your yak. Also in some states adding power means registering your boat.
    Just some things to consider...

10. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    That whole registration process was one significant factor that persuaded me to go with a kayak in the first place!

You're right, though. In Virginia, add a motor and you have to register. Considering that so many counties are now requiring permits to fish their reservoirs, I'm trying to avoid shelling out the annual fees as much as possible.

I better keep physically fit then! :big_smile:

11. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    check out www.bassyaks.com
    These go where your rudder would go and use the foot pegs to steer. you also have your forward, reverse, and speed control right between your legs. I think you use a small gell celled, wheelchair battery to keep the weight down. I've not had near the trouble with head winds, or cross-winds since I switched from canoe to kayak. I probably wouldnt get this motor-ized system just for the reason of having to register my yak.