Yak Paint

Discussion in 'Kayaker and Canoe Fishing' started by Kansas Tree Rat, Feb 28, 2009.

1. Kansas Tree Rat

Kansas Tree Rat New Member

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
    Well most of you on here know that I own a pair of Malibu Mini-X Kayaks. The one thing that I have never liked about Malibu is the big ol sticker they put on the side. This is not really a "sticker" but is moulded into the boat so you really can not get rid of it. So I decided to give it a paint job. I do not own a airbrush so I used the old tape and spray can method. I am not sure what the durability of this is going to be but it should be pretty easy to touch up once in awhile. I used Krylon fusion paint that is suposed to stick to plastic. I guess we will see. Anyway I think it came out pretty neat.
    I am going to do my green boat pretty much the same but use light green, dark green and black.

Attached Files:

2. Yakdawg

Yakdawg New Member

State:
    Cumming, GA
    Very cool!

Like the way it turned out, very clean looking! How do you like the malibu mini?? I have been considering adding yet another yak to my fleet this summer!

3. Kansas Tree Rat

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
    Thanks. I love the Mini for the kind of water I fish most of the time which is small rivers and streams. They only weigh 38 lbs, I can carry it on one shoulder and all my equipment in the other hand if needed. Very stable but they are not that great for covering long distance.

4. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    Looks good Alan so when are we going to go get them all muddied up.

5. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    Great job alan! the fish will never see you coming! I've been wanting to paint a shark mouth on mine like the old ww2 planes. Just havent got up the guts to try it yet.

6. schoonie

schoonie New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    That looks awesome. Does Kansas require numbered registration like Oklahoma? I think I will number mine with the fusion paint, since the stickers don't stick well on the grainy texture of my xfactor. I have a vinyl cutter so I have been just cutting the numbers as needed.

Yakdawg, you got it bad, buddy. I need your yak budget. But, I guess, everyone needs to collect something, LOL. Might as well be fishing stuff, huh? If I sold half my rod and reels, I could get a mini-x also!

7. Kansas Tree Rat

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
    Kansas does not require numbers unless you put a motor on it.

8. Yakdawg

Yakdawg New Member

State:
    Cumming, GA
    Hey, I do have a fishing problem! But it could be worse!

I now have an arsenal of fishing gear, two yaks, two small fishing boats and yes I admit I do want to purchase yet another yak and also a bigger power boat.

I just think about it as stimulating the economy!:smile2:

9. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Awesome paint job....

How hard are the Yaks to control?

10. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    Hey looks good. I hope it stays on for you. Sucks when you put alot of work into something and it comes off.

11. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS

Only time I've had control issues is when I run some rapids. The rear of the boat wants to pass the front and it causes you to spin. I can thread mine through downed tree branches as long as I have my poles laid down.

12. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    I'll add that the new fishing Sit-On-Tops (SOTs) are outstanding to maneuver, not like the more tippy-feeling Sit-In-Kayaks (SIKs) that you might have tried in the past. SOTs are a relatively new arrival in kayaking. The stability and manueverability is a tradeoff with tracking and speed over long distances, so a lot of die-hard kayakers carry their kayaks on a power boat and then launch to fish in hard-to-reach places.

For me, all of my honey holes are well within reach of my paddling skills; in fact, I usually paddle a 71-acre lake around the perimeter at least twice each outing.

The stability of my kayak is so good that I can stand up if I choose to, and I always enter/exit my kayak from the dock as if it were any other boat. I haven't spilled yet!

You'll want to check out a 14' craft for your size--try it, you'll be making the next catfishing video from one! :wink:

13. Kansas Tree Rat

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
    Paul
    I fished for years out of a canoe and I have been amazed at how stable and maneuverable a SOT kayak is and how little the wind affects them in comparison. My boats are only 9’3” and weight 38lbs. but I have had them out on some of the larger lakes here in Kansas like Clinton and Perry when the water was pretty rough with no problems to date.
    I do spend most of my time on smaller rivers and creeks and these little boats are ideal. The ATV’s of the water world. My favorite outing is to drop the Yak and gear off at a bridge and then drive to the next bridge downstream (sometimes 2 or 3 bridges down). I then jump on my bicycle and ride back up to my drop off point and fish my way down to the truck. Most of this water rarely gets fished. I can slide right into a brush pile and fish straight down if needed. When I come to a riffle I get out and walk down to fish the tail end where it dumps into the deeper water. You often find active feeding fish here even in the middle of the day. Most of the time you are not going to catch big fish this way but in this area 10-12 channel are not uncommon. It is also a great way to see lots of wildlife and just enjoy nature.
    To tell the truth I have no desire to own a big, loud, expensive, gas guzzling high speed boat. A kayak will take you anywhere a bigger boat will and MANY place that a bigger boat can’t even get close. Of course it may take longer and use a little more effort but hey that is why I am out there in the first place. Anyone that enjoys being on the water and wants to get back in places that never get fished should try one.

14. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Sounds really cool gents...

I know that float trips down the Altamaha River are really popular, and I have seen several organized trips having fun doing it.

If I remember correctly, there was a team that fished the Cabelas king Cat Classic in Henderson KY with a Kayak last year. Really sparked some attention :)

15. schoonie

schoonie New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Paul, I agree with Tree Rat and Joel, these things are relatively easy to control, and WAY more stable than a canoe. I stand and cast in mine.

Yakdawg, nothing wrong with a fishing problem. I've suffered from the same affliction for over 40 years. I have more money for toys now, for which I am thankful. I have a 21' Cajun fish and ski boat I am trying to restore to trade for a new Center Console fishing machine. Momma sez I have to git rid of the old one first. So I guess I will comply.
    Still, hard to beat the yak, and my boy is 7 and fonching at the bit to get his own. That mini would be perfect for him.
    Get as many toys as you want, I'm rootin' for ya.

16. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Money for toys...now that just rawks!:smile2: I'm right there with you!

17. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thats a pretty sweet looking boat, I like the camo paint that you painted on the boat looks pretty sweet.

18. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    Now, that is a nice custom paint job!

19. Little Tree Rat

Little Tree Rat New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Ya but you guys are forgeting somthin...they are a great way to bond with your kids!! gets the parents out, and the kids envolved in somthin, like my dad (Kansas Tree Rat) was sayin it may take a little more effort, but its worth the end result, you may not get a huge load of fish, but you got out, enjoyed the river/lake, spent time with the one/s you love, and maybe even experienced somthing, saw some new wild life...and to be honest yaking is the best, only thing that gets ya is the shoulder cramps after a while. So if you thinkin bout gettin somthin that will get the family going, get some yaks, and enjoy!!

20. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    You tell em little rat.