Yak Fishing

Discussion in 'Kayaker and Canoe Fishing' started by Kansas Tree Rat, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Kansas Tree Rat

Kansas Tree Rat New Member

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
    I took my 11 year old Son on his first overnight rough-it type camping trip this weekend. I have a pair of 9' sit on top Kayaks and we packed them up and put in Slough creek a couple of miles above Perry lake. We paddled down about a mile and made camp. The water had been up and it took awhile to find a dry place that was not covered up in weeds but we found a pretty good spot with a big brush pile in the water right in front of us to fish around. we got a pretty late start because I had to work until noon and it was almost dark before we got camp set up. We built a fire and ate canned stew for supper, then set the rods out. Had a few perch and worms for bait. We fished until about midnight and caught a few small channel but nothing touched the perch. Next morning Mason caught a few more small ones and one small keeper about 1 1/2 lbs or so while I was trying to wake up.
    We loaded the rods and bait up but left most of our stuff in camp and headed on down the creek. We fished our way along for awhile and to anyone who has never tryed it, Kayak fishing with an 11 year old is quite a test of a mans patience. Things got better as we went and pretty soon he was doing pretty good. I slid in next to a good looking brush pile and dropped my worm with a small bobber next to a log. The bobber hardly touched the water when it went under. When I set the hook I knew I had a pretty good one. He tryed to pull us both into the brush but I managed to back paddle out and he turned out to open water. After dragging me around for a few minutes I landed a channel about 12 lbs. I caught another one off the other end of the same pile about 6 lbs.
    By this time Mason was geting pretty excited and he caught the next 2 fish, both 3-4 lbs. We paddled aways and got out to explore and strech our legs and cauch 2 more about the same size from the bank before we got back in the boats. Ended up going all the way to the mouth of the creek before we turned around. We caught fish off and on all the way. The Carp and Gar were thick everywhere but we never hooked up on any. Kind of odd in fact we did not catch anything but channel the whole trip.
    We went back and packed up camp and headed out. It was 5:30 and pretty darn hot by the time we got off the water and loaded up. In all we caught 8 fish between 3 and 12 lbs and had about as good a time as I have ever had. It was a weekend that we will both remember for a long time I am sure and one I hope we have a chance to repeat often.

2. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Sounds like you had a good trip. I use to fish Lake Perry with my father-in-law. Had some good times on that lake.

3. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Sounds like a great time. Nothing beats a father and son camping trip.

4. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    thats sounds great fishing with your son mine loves to fish

5. catman73

catman73 New Member

State:
    Lawrence Kansas
    Sounds like you guys had a great weekend. Made memories that you will both hold onto for many years to come.

6. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    Great post. Sounds like a good time.

7. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Alan thanks for sharing your story.Sounded like a great time.

8. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Thanks for sharing that Alan. Sounded like a good weekend. :big_smile:

9. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    Kids never forget fishing trips, your son will remember the highlights of your trip for his lifetime at age 11, catfishing builds strong bones and hearts!

10. Little Tree Rat

Little Tree Rat New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Dad when mason came home..he was so red eyed, it looked like he hadn't slept in a week...but that was cuz his allergies. I still think that our day trip was better, even though we didnt catch much fish, we got to spend the whole week together, and spend the day out on the creek, floatin, and paddling.

11. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Ahhh, that was sweet. Alan, you are a lucky man. You seem to be doin a fine job raisin your kids. Time well spent together.
    Welcome aboard Mallory!

12. South Grand Laker

South Grand Laker New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    great trip those are always good ones to remember