Yah!!!! and a Question

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by Blakemo, Jun 21, 2008.

1. Blakemo

Blakemo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Ok tonight i went out and chummed some dog food to see if I could catch some of the catfish I had heard about. I chummed about 15 minuets and then started seeing huge catfish hitting so I threw out a large minnow ( I think it was a big carp minnnow or shad) and didnt get anything so I figured they where just grass carp so I called mom and she went on the golf course to bring me some bread so i could catch some big carp but instead of a carp I caught one om my first huge catfish!!( ill post pics later) Oh and I think it was a Blue cat but easily could have been a Channel. Do my question is what would be the best bait? Im thinking since the bread worked ill try it agin but Id also like to hear other suggestions for bait.

2. Randy Jones

Randy Jones New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Shad is one of my very favorite baits. But you need to use it in different ways like use one pole with a whole shad one with a fillet one with chunks one with just the head somedays they bite different pieces. Also worms is a pretty good bait when the water is up like this, it washes them off the bank. The only thing with using worms is sometimes smaller fish will drive you crazy just pecking on them. Also they have lots of prepared baits you can get at your local bait shop or walmart, such as danny kings punch bait. Hope some of these might help you out good luck.

3. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    First off, welcome to the BOC. If you're fishing in a pond.... there could be one of about 10 zillion baits that those fish will devour. For ponds, I like to use chicken livers and worms. For lakes & rivers tho, I'm gonna use shad about 99.9% of the time.

If you've got em coming to the top and eating food, then your bread is probably the best bet, to be real honest. You need to pitch something in there that will float kinda close to the top in that particular pond, so I think you're already on the right track. Do what works, buddy!!!!!

4. Blakemo

Blakemo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Thanks! Even though there are thousands of little panfish I think ill try a big fat worm or some frozen shad that are in chicken liver!

5. fishnfool68

fishnfool68 New Member

State:
    Near Tulsa Oklahoma
    If your going to use chicken liver spend the 50cents and by a spool of thread.After you hook the liver on then take about 18" of thread and wrap it in the liver this will keep it on your hook better.Good luck!

6. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Welcome to the boc, this site is full of good people and great info.

Perhaps i will have to try your trick

7. Steven Armstrong

Steven Armstrong New Member

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    welcome to boc! good luck on the fishing!

8. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Another thing you might try which I have had pretty good luck with on the bigger channels in ponds is catch you a small perch 2-3 inches and use its head. For some reason pond channel (bigger ones) seem to like the heads.

9. firechief4201

firechief4201 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, Kentucky
    Congrats, on the fish and Welcome to the BOC.

10. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Blake.

11. Blakemo

Blakemo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Thanks everyone! This forum is great!

12. dusty_allen

dusty_allen New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Congrats....sounds like anything that floats will probably work. Looks as though they have been fed in the past and thats was they are looking for again.

13. Blakemo

Blakemo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Tried cut Bluegill 30 minuets ago and did very weel especialy with the heads! I also found out that casting out a cut piece of bluegill and very slowly dragging it works very good!