Yadkin / York Hill

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by archisands, Jul 27, 2008.

1. archisands

archisands New Member

State:
    North Carolina / Virginia
    My buddy & I went down Fri night & last night to York Hill, caught a couple small ones but the bite was slow. My question though, we've heard a couple rumors & wanted to see if anyone has heard anything similar. We heard that there is bridge work coming nearby that will create some construction dams that will effect York Hill? We also heard rumor of a new nascar road course in Spencer which is supposedly going to come really close to the river which brings up concerns of runoff and siltation? Anybody hear or know anything about these or are they just that, rumors?

2. Sunday Money

Sunday Money New Member

State:
    north carolina

Im from salisbury, and ive def heard the rumors of the road course coming in spencer. I myself havent heard about the bridge damns being built but anyone that crosses 85 over the yadkin at york hill can plainly see that a new bridge is only a matter of time away.........However, i dont see the track causing runoff to a significant concern. With as strict as everything is now im sure theyll have a close eye containing run off and even if some occurs its not like the yadkin is crystal clear to begin with. Im not too concerned with the track being a problem, other than bringing that much more traffic around our area, although i am a huge race fan myself. Race traffic all around the river when yall boys are trying to fish isnt that fun. Ill prolly be at the track if the big boys in the cup series ever make it to that track.......LOL

3. archisands

archisands New Member

State:
    North Carolina / Virginia
    So there is some truth to the rumors then, the road course seems to be a reality. Since posting a couple of my buddies also heard it was coming. Hopefully it won't get too close to the river, but guess it won't matter since we already have the noise of 85 (including the truckers who honk cause they're jealous they're not on the water), the other bridges with traffic to Spencer, and the train bridge. No big deal to add more noise I guess. You nailed it about the water clarity:roll_eyes:. As for the supposed construction dams, I'm concerned about navigability of the river. Certain sections like between the power plant and the 85 bridge get almost too shallow without any help from upstream dams lowering water levels. As I understood it, the construction was upstream not actually on the bridges there at York Hill. But maybe what I've heard is wrong cause you are right on again, those bridges are looking pretty rough. Hopefully this half of my post is the rumor, anybody work for DOT to confirm / deny?

4. killentime99

killentime99 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    track work is in progress and the bridges are at 85 but the brige work was postponed untill maybe 2015 due to lack of funds

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Have not heard, but not from your area, congrats on getting on the water, good luck in the future

6. mhedrick

mhedrick Member

State:
    NC
    I work in erosion control for the NC Dept of Natural Resources. I can tell you that the race course work is already being done, and that the grading for the course comes right up to the lake. Going south on 85, as you cross the bridge, look to the right, and you will see part of the area. Some of the silt fence is even under water when the lake is full. This project is handled by the local Rowan Co program, and not under state jurisdiction. They had some major issues when it first started, but I dont know whats going on over there right now.

As far as siltation goes, H-R is really one big sediment trap. There are areas on the upper end of the lake that have filled in close to 15'-20' since the lake was impounded 80 years ago.

The bridge work does not show up on the 2008-2015 Transportation Improvement Program. That does not mean that it may show up though.