Yadkin River

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by NCSmallie, May 20, 2008.

1. NCSmallie

NCSmallie New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Hey Guys,
    I'm new to the site. I've been fishing the yadkin for cats above high rock for the last two years. I have caught several nice channel cats on live and cut bait that weighed 10-15lbs but no flatheads or blues. Do any of you guys have any advice for this section of river? It's in my back door so I like to hit it pretty often. I don't even know if there are any blues in there. I've heard people talk about them but I'm not sure they aren't mistaking some big channels for them.

2. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    I would try creek mouths, creek channels and points at night. Also if you can find any underwater humps. Highrock if flat full of good flatheads.

3. rob128146

rob128146 New Member

State:
    Rockwell, North Carolina
    YADKIN RIVER IS IN MY BACK YRD ALSO. I WOULD FISH THE FEEDER CREEKS AND AT THE BUCK STEAM STATION IN THE HOT HOLE(DISCHARGE) ABOUT 100YRDS S OF THE PLANT. NEVER CAUGHT ANY BLUES IN THE YADKIN ONLY FLATHEADS. IF YOU WANT TO CATCH BLUES THEN YOU NEED TO GO TO BADIN. I HAVE ALWAYS CAUGHT FLATHEADS ON LIVE GILLS IN THE YADKIN.

4. NCSmallie

NCSmallie New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks guys! Rob, maybe I'll see you on the river.

5. rob128146

rob128146 New Member

State:
    Rockwell, North Carolina
    Oh yeah you will. Maybe we can share a boat and do some fishin togather some time if you like. Been looking for a partner for a couple of years but seems nobody wants to tough out the elements, weather, spent time, and the endless nights that i seems to love! Talk to you later.:big_smile:

6. archisands

archisands New Member

State:
    North Carolina / Virginia
    We go down and put in at York Hill a lot. We've had the most luck with flatheads on live bait, mostly shad, sometimes a bream or goldfish too. I have caught a blue there downstream from York Hill at the power plant, he was about 20 lbs. That same night we caught a total of about 70 lbs, all the others were flatheads, so they're in there. Flatheads seem to be much more abundant there, though. We've caught up to a 32 lber there, but have seen even bigger come out. We always have luck at structure right off the main channel. Never went up to it but I constantly hear talk about Simmons hole which is a little bit of a run upstream from York Hill. Supposedly you always have luck up there with trophies, or so says a friend of a friend. Maybe we'll see you out there sometime.