Yadkin River

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by floundahman, Jan 4, 2007.

1. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Is there anyone out there that fishes the Yadkin River? I realize with all of the recent rain and flooding, no one's fishing it now. I usually take the winter off but I see that many of my fellow North Carolinians are fishing and catching fish. Would I be wasting my time getting out there now?

2. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, North Carol
    from what i have read, becasue of the warm spell that we are having that it should be almost like spring fishing.

3. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    The yadkin river can hold some nice Flathead catfish but with the water temp as cool as it is now i wouldn't fish the yadkin. There are a few blues but not worth fishing for. Spring time when the water warms all the fish will run up river to spawn. Yadkin river even with no rain is a rough river if you fish upstream below idols dam. Water is so swift up there you have to use a boat motor to go upstream. its also very shallow in spots. average depth is 3ft with holes around 10-12ft in a few of the bends. Those holes can hold quite a few fish but high rock lake is much better if your wanting to catch a lot of fish. if i was to fish yadkin now i woould fish at york hill landing where 85 crosses yadkin. water depth there is about 35ft and the fish will be there in the wintering hole.

4. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Well, took my first trip of the year to the river at Rte 64 access. Only caught 2 small channels with worms, got lots of bites on livers but no takers (fished with circle hooks). No flatties on live bream either. Went out Thursday night before the front moved in. I know it's early yet but it was good to get out.

5. Cutter

Cutter New Member

State:
    Hickory, NC
    Was you bank fishing at 64 access? Is there a public boat ramp there?

Thanks!

6. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Tony, yes I was fishing from the bank. There is no boat ramp, but I have launched a 13' jonboat sliding it down the bank. It's nearly impossible to drive down to the river without a truck. Lot's of mud even after it's been dry for a while.

7. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Anyone hear the news today about the 2 guys that got lost on the river? They launched from the 64 access and headed downstream. The news caster said that they made a cell phone call to a friend to tell them that they were lost and lost contact when the battery went dead in the phone. There was no indication that they were in any danger or had done anything wrong. I'm sure that they're embarassed about it making the news. Anyway they turned up safe further down the river. I wonder if someone will invent a cell phone charger powered by a marine battery:lol: .

8. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    there already is a charger that hooks up to any battery.

9. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    I have been told that when your cell phone goes dead, you call hit keys *3370# and it will bring it back up to half power. Have not check it out, but maybe some of you guys/gals might want too.

10. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    that doesn't work for mine i just tried it. Nothing. it is a nextel i530

11. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    That current is so strong up that way they prob went down and couldnt get back up. I had my 14ft boat up there with a 32lb trolling motor and it would not go up stream at all. to go upstream i had to crank the 20hp. prob got down and motor wouldnt start.

12. McDreamy

McDreamy New Member

State:
    nc
    i fish the yadkin pretty regularly but not at 64 i usally hit hwy 601 or york hill access and run my boat about half way up between them and do a very slow controlled drift

eric

13. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Went to the river last night. Rte 64 access is chained off until the corn comes up, so I had to park and walk in. As I approached the river, two mangy looking dogs came out of the woods barking at me. I took out my knife, and slowly took a bream that I had brought for bait out of my bucket. I tossed it in their direction, one of them grabbed it and ran a little ways off. I took a second bream out and tossed it to the second dog, the first dog grabbed the fish right out of its mouth. I came in with 5 bream and left not having fished but unharmed. The dogs decided to fight over the last fish and that was my cue to leave. I had some chicken livers so I went over to City Lake and caught 1 yellow bullhead. Should have stayed home:angry: .

14. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Took my daughters to the river today. White bass are everywhere! Jumping, and stealing bait. We were able to catch a few after downsizing hooks and bait. It was fun but no catfish.

15. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Good deal Jim.

I took Beth with me the first week of April while they were on Spring Break.