Yadkin River

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by Jap, Jan 17, 2010.

1. Jap

Jap New Member

State:
    NC
    Has anyone fished the Yadkin for Cats? If so any info would be useful!!

2. seth3221

seth3221 New Member

State:
    NC
    I have not heard much on it.

3. mintaka

mintaka Well-Known Member

State:
    Charlotte , N.C
    I've fished the lakes , and certain portions of the South Fork , but not the river itself. From my limited experience , the fishing is good. The best bait to use so far is live or cut shad.

4. Jap

Jap New Member

State:
    NC
    Thanks Mintaka,:handshake:

Ive found couple of sweet spots~ in Forsyth and one spot in Stokes along the river , Ive been using live crayfish and bluegills, havent had any luck yet, but will keep ya posted if those spots are holding sum fishies.

5. McDreamy

McDreamy New Member

State:
    nc
    i used to fish the yadkin all the time from where highrock ends up to mocksvillie actually the cat on my avatar came out of the mighty muddy yadkin

6. Jap

Jap New Member

State:
    NC
    Ole yeah? thats a nice cat!! Where abouts were you fishinh ive been up near east bend latly. But never tryed mocksville or highrock area any directions would be much help!

7. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I used to fish it a bunch back around the turn of the century LOL! We fished around Idols Dam. Man that was a great place to fish but b/c of all that 911 bull manure they started running everybody off from down there. I mean I know my beard wreaks of terrorist but come on, all we're doing is fishing LOL! Those were some good times. Just wish I knew then what I know now...could have caught some really big fish I think.

8. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Joshua, I fish the Yadkin sometimes. The channel cat in my avatar came from York Hill at the top of High Rock Lake in January on a chicken liver. If you want to catch a mess of channels, try using some chicken livers anywhere along the river from Idoll's Dam to High Rock Lake in the early spring. You may even catch a striper or two.

9. Jap

Jap New Member

State:
    NC
    Thanks alot Jim and Wes =)

10. McDreamy

McDreamy New Member

State:
    nc
    i caught her right down below the buck steam plant

11. holliswood

holliswood Well-Known Member

State:
    King, NC
    I've been wanting to fish the Yadkin River around where stokes, forsyth, and yadkin county meet up. I guess near Hwy. 67. I'm getting kinda used to lakes but would love to fish the river every once in awhile.

12. kvillcat

kvillcat New Member

State:
    Kernersville, Nc
    I've caught some nice cats around the steam plant above High rock where 85 crosses the river. Flat tore up the blue cats a few times and caught some NICE flats. Lots of structure.

John

13. Cattledogz

Cattledogz Active Member

State:
    NC
    Have you fished it around Donaha Bridge at all? There have been a few nice ones come out of there in the past.

Also along the section of river at Yadkin Islands Park but the hike to the river can be rough.

Another area I know of cats coming out of is the section along the Old Yadkinville Highway Bridge and park. I haven't been over there in a few years though.

Good luck this year!

14. holliswood

State:
    King, NC
    I've been thinking of going there (Donaha Bridge). A man who does my dads auto-glass work mentioned there and just up the river a half mile or so. I'll check it out when global warming decides to return :)

I'm not familiar on where Yadkin Islands Park or Old Yadkinville Highway Bridge and Park is but I'll look them up.

Thanks for the information and well wishes! Hope your year goes well and I'll check these places out.

15. holliswood

State:
    King, NC
    Hey man! How's things going in K-Vegas? I've gotta brother that lives there.

16. Jap

Jap New Member

State:
    NC
    Thanks John Barb and Eric!

17. McDreamy

McDreamy New Member

State:
    nc
    there is one great spot i know of on the river that u can slaythem at but u have to wait until the right time of yr last time i went we caught 200 cats from 2 to 10 lbs in about 8 hrs; but they dont move in there until the carp start spawning

18. holliswood

State:
    King, NC
    Anyone think that this weekend would be a good time to hit the yadkin with the three days of fifty degree weather? I plan on fishing at the highway 67 bridge.

19. Jap

Jap New Member

State:
    NC
    Sounds fun! Id go if I wasnt working all weekend.