Yadkin River

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by sqlhawkn, Mar 30, 2009.

1. sqlhawkn

sqlhawkn New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I have access to a section of the Yadkin River that runs through some family land north of Wilkesboro, NC. It is only about 75 yrds wide and many places you can even wade in the river to fish. There's supposed to be some deeper holes in this section. What type of bait should I use to catch some cats? Should I fish the bottom or use a few split-shots w/ a bobber and let it float with the current??

2. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Matt, I often use split shot rigs in the Yadkin when fishing for channels.

3. sqlhawkn

sqlhawkn New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks for the reply! What are you using for hook size and bait?

4. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    I fished last night at the 64 access. The river was really moving, no split shot rigs last night. I was fishing with 2/O Kahle hooks with chicken livers and 6/0 circle hooks with cut shad. I caught 2 nice channels on the livers, nothing on the cut bait. I don't know if the white perch are running up river, but had a lot of baits stollen. I was using 2 oz. weights and fishing like I do with split shots (bouncing the bait down stream). The wind was brutal, but it was a good night overall.

5. ATTICUS_BUDDY

ATTICUS_BUDDY New Member

State:
    mn originally now NC
    I WOULD USE A CIRCLE HOOK WITH A LIVE EEL ON ONE ROD AND SHAD ON OTHERS

6. CATFISHGARY1

CATFISHGARY1 New Member

State:
    Coats,North Carolina
    stick to the kahls they never have let me down , cant say that about a circle hook, not to mention you cant realy set the hook on a circle hoo