Yadkin River North Carolina - What kinda catfish does it hold?

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by striper, Apr 9, 2006.

1. striper

striper New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Does anybody know what catfish the yadkin river holds? Is bank fishing any good. I know that there is a couple of boat launches between tobaccoville and coolemee, before it goes into high rock lake. so bank access is pretty good. right now i am looking for a boat so my fishing, except lake norman, is limited to bank fishing. and the yadkin river is closer to me than lake norman. and i just love these catfish........

thanks

ed

2. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Ed,
    I fish the lower Yadkin chain, between Tillery and Blewett Falls. There are channels, blues, and flatheads in the system. I catch mostly blues though because I like to use jugs with cut bait alot. Have caught lots of channels and a few flatheads, but not many. I hear and it has proven pretty accurate that the farther up the Yadkin system you go, the better the fishing is. Seems like more big fish are reported caught from Badin up to High Rock. Could be wrong, but that's just what I've noticed. Good Luck!!

3. striper

striper New Member

State:
    north carolina
    thanks for the information. i live just outside winston salem and work alot of hours, so i am looking for something close, and the yadkin is only 5 miles away. so that is something i am going to try.

ed

4. trfoster

trfoster New Member

State:
    north carolina
    HEY STRIPER,I live on high rock,Trading Ford area,cats are pretty good down this way.channels,flatheads,blues.down this way some bank areas are panthers point, goodman lake rd,down towards tucker town dam.but cats not as plentyful at tucker town as it use to be.I hear that the steal bridge on up from the dam is still a pretty good bank fishing spot.up around Tamirac marina is ok if you can stand all the boat activity.there are several diffrent steal bridges around,theres one there at the marina and one on goodman lake rd,ibelieve.also on saint matthews church rd theres a good bank spot, its where you come across a small dam.has water on both sides , banks are rocky and theres a tunnel that runs underwater though the dam.people call the area fishermans cove,havent fished there in years but it was a good spot for cats,crappie,brim.pulled a few 5to8 pound channels from there ,right in front of the tunnel.have had a few break my lines there too.i know quite a few places but have not been to them in yrs so not sure how productive they still are and need to set down and remember how to get to them.when i can get some acurate directions for you ill come back and post them.good luck!!!:)

5. McDreamy

McDreamy New Member

State:
    nc
    i fish the yadkin all over esp from york hill access in spencer to colomee and mostly from the bank. if u got to york hill u can either walk down below 85 bridges or further but most of the good spots u either need a boat or to be carrying light cause u dont want to hike through 5 miles of limbs to find a decent spot . the places under the bridge has a lot of cover for flat heads cause thats where every thing up river comes to rest . i went yesterday to an lil oxbow i know of and caught about 30 that i kept blues and channels

6. striper

striper New Member

State:
    north carolina
    how is the fishing around coolemee. i know of a boat launch off of 801. and i also know the boat launch off of 601 on the south yadkin. how is that? i am probably going saturday night.

thanks
    ed

7. McDreamy

McDreamy New Member

State:
    nc
    its pretty decent esp around the big log jam up there. but if u come out on 801 where it crosses 601 and stay on 801 like ur heading towards the game land there is a boat landing that has some excellent fishing around it. caught many a cats from down in there but be sure to take lots of extra hooks and sinkers very hangy

8. Ghoulscout 13

Ghoulscout 13 New Member

State:
    North carolina
    whiotewolf138 i fish down at the spencer boat landing all the time with my Girlfriends dad (the one right before you go on to I-85) and we have never had much success at it...any ideas on what we could do to increase our catch??

9. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Hey striper if u go to 801 boat landing on the yadkin please post how deep the water is there. I been wanting to go fish that same land but afraid of taking my boat due to water depth. Also let me know how u do.

mike