Ya gotta ask yourself.

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by BIG GEORGE, Aug 22, 2009.

1. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    About every week or so I'm seein a thread on here about peoples vehicles bein broke into while they are fishin. I feel for the people it happens to and I usually stop readin the thread cause my blood starts to boil. Consider this. Up here there are public ramps. And with public ramps comes public human garbage. Each year I spend $200 dollars to join a marina that provides a secure area to park your truck and trailer. To me its worth it. Don't know if this is available in other parts of the country but its sure as hell is somethin ya may wanna consider.

2. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    sounds well worth it

3. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    BG that's the only way to go, considering how much truck window's -stereo's -tool's and what else get's stolen 200 dollar's a year is CHEAP insurance.

4. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    You are so right George. Cant beat that overnight boat ramp security.:wink:

REPS forthcoming!

5. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Back when I was in Louisiana we always went to the state park that was as secure as anywhere..It cost 2 bucks to launch your boat and wildlife and fisheries agents constantly patrolled..

6. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    George thats good if you can get ramp pass for 200 dollars a year ,here in the wilm area the cheapest yearly ramp pass i can find is 500.00 dollars or more a year an that in saltwater .no freshwater marinas around here with ramps an security

7. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I go with the "why would you bother?" security system. :smile2:

If you want to steal my truck,,, you are pretty hard up. I guess you might want my $50 stereo? Other than maybe loose change in the seat, that's about all you would find in the truck.

Reckon the trailer is worth something but I don't think there is a big market for stolen ratty boat trailers round abouts.:wink:

The battery and tires are what I worry about, but both are a hassle to get and not big targets places where I go.

8. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    :Danzig,,, I agree with you,,, the worse your rig looks,,, the less likely it is to be messed with,,,,

Some folks around here, leave their dog in the truck at night at boat ramps,,,now my dog Bo would think those hoolagans wanted to play and I would be out my stuff and my dog,,,:eek:oooh:

9. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I think the security is worth 200 a year, good deal BG. We don't have
    such places here. Even the marinas close at night and most have a
    lock box to put in your launch fee.

10. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    I can’t stand a thief. My blood boils.
    Get a rope, it’s cheaper than 200 bucks a year. LOL:tounge_out:

11. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I agree its worth it for peace of mind while your huntn for hawgs.

12. snakeman76

snakeman76 New Member

State:
    Tallahassee, Fl
    You are right George some places dont offer that but I always use the state park landings they are patroled people need to consider there options and the calibur pistol they carry like the .357 smith and wesson magnum:big_smile:

13. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    It is great that Florida has guarded park landings, Greg. Virginia also has been good about patroling VDGIF impoundment parking lots both with State Police and Conservation Officers. Unfortunately, they are not around enough to prevent theft entirely, though. I have fished before in sight of the parking lot, and never once saw any law enforcement in the area.

BG is right. Even under the best circumstances I don't really feel that my vehicle is safe while I am out on the water at public ramps.

14. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    George, I definitely see the merit in joining something like that, but I see two problems in my area. First, it would severely limit where I got to fish. I like to go to different places now and then to try out the area and explore a bit. Second, the only way I know of to do that around here would be to join a "yacht club" and the dues are a darn site more than $200 per year!

I feel a little safer around here in the rural out-in-the-sticks type boat ramps than I do at the ramps in town. Mostly the folks out in the country are good and decent and don't mess with you. Plus there is what I think of as the "Bubba" factor: There's a decent percentage of the folks at the more remote landing that are commonly armed (not me) and would be very intolerant, shall we say, of any wrongdoing. I may be wrong, but I think that's a bit of a deterrent.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2009
  15. cheapNdisgusting

cheapNdisgusting Well-Known Member Supporting Member Supporting Member

State:
    Yonder in Mo.
    Name:
    Russ
    Anytime I am on the water I want to be relaxed enough to enjoy it. Public ramps are hard to leave anything unattended. Private ramps are harder to find but worth the money.