XXL live trap

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by on_the_fly, Aug 10, 2008.

1. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    the farmer next door thinks hes having problems with a few fox so he asked if I would help him remove them off his land. well he dont want me to use leg holds or snares ( witch is all I use). I only had two live cage traps one 7x7" and other I think is 12x12" both about 18 to 24" deep. witch are both too small for a fox or mabey even a yot so to solve this problem I coppied the lay out of my bigger cage and made one thats 2'x2'x4':004: I have been watching one of the baby fox and the wife and son want me to keep it around if I get it and I might till the pelt is larger lol. but back to topic I made this 2 foot by 2 foot trap that seems to work good for now, my 9 year old 80 lbs son has room to move around in it. Its out set now but I'll get a few pics of it and post here later so yall can see. after looking for a week or so at buying one of this size (witch is hard to find by the way,) they are running around $300 for one of these xxL cage and I dont know about yall but if I spent that on a trap I belive my wife would make me live in it for a little bit and probably make me keep it out by the pond to sleep under the stars too.:embarassed: YES DEAR I'M SORRY :smile2:

2. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Way to go Leroy!:smile2: It is very important for trappers to take the needs and concerns of the landowners so we can continue our passion. A lot of good trapping ares are no longer available because people made a bad impression for the landowners. Good luck and do a good job and I'm sure that farmer knows another one which will help you get access to new land.

3. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    I have trapped a couple of grays in live traps, but overall, I think it is a losing deal. Try it if it is your only option, but if you can, try to talk him into letting you call and shoot. Some people like that option better than steel and snares. Or explain to him that if he wants the fox gone, he needs to let use use the best available methods.

Jim

4. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Mount boards on the side/top of that trap and it should be a good bobcat cubby.
    As for using a cage for fox, I wouldn't hold my breath.

IMO, best non-lethal method would be the use of padded #1½CS or #1½CSOS.
    Double staked, XH chain, inline spring, XH chain to a center swiveled trap.

:004:

p.s. Wanna have fun, take a look at a Beaver Suitcase Live trap, they're going for just under $500. Had 2 stolen years ago. :sad2:

5. gooboy

gooboy New Member

State:
    Minden,La.
    Keep us updated on your results. I've only seen two fox caught in cages. Both of those were reds. Good luck.

6. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    here are a few pics of the trap I come up with.cought a possum in it the first night:cool2: I was happy to know it all worked as planed.

Attached Files:

7. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Good Job Leroy .... Years ago when I worked for Ohio DNR we trapped several reds with a similar trap we made ... it was almost 6 feet long and we built a small screened compartment near the rear (inside) and placed a young live rabbit it .... without the live rabbit and using only dead bait and lure ... all we got were oppossums, skunks and a couple of coons ...

Garry-

8. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    well I am still trying to catch that young fox I haven't been useing my live trap I thought I would buy some feeder mice the next time I was in town to bait the trap with but in the mean time I have been going down and seeing this fox almost every night and have been able to get realy close to him.(last night 4 to 5 feet) I made a cable pole so if he lets me I will just snare him with that and transfer him into the big cage I have for him. my wife was with me last night and could not belive how close that fox let me get but now she understands my rambling about him. I have seen a few others but the farmer or I will probably just shoot them.

9. CHAVEZ CHAVEZ

CHAVEZ CHAVEZ New Member

State:
    WesternSlope,CO
    that's a tight look'n trap , thanx's for share' .

10. stinkbaitman

stinkbaitman New Member

State:
    south dakota
    how on earth did you get 5 feet from a fox!?!

11. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    he is still letting me get farly close I was within 7 to 8 feet from him tonight. I did set the live trap tonight but it was not the one I made the farmer had bought one about two years ago he said and it still had the boxing still zip tied to it. Well this new trap is about a foot longer than mine and 8 inches taller easy with a live bait box built into it in the back. well I have also been kicking around the thought of a tranquilizer dart set up.any of you every try this, I ask one for the fox here butI also know a man that is offering 80 bucks a peice for live yotes and the best way I can think of to transport is with yote sleeping. although 99% of my snared yotes kill theirselfs trying to get loose from my snare with his (soon to be mine) and my live trap I might be able to help that guy out too with two or three yotes.
    as far as the farmers trap being mine well I've done a lot of welding for him and still have never charged him a dime and he only bought the trap to remove the fox and yotes from his land (witch he never used). and now he knows me anhe dont have to mess with it himself no more. he wants me to weld/repair a few gates so he can sell them so I'm gonna kick the idea up about givin me the trap in exchange for all the welding I have been doing. we'll see it's worth a shot:wink:

12. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    well I cought a baby rabbit last night and man is he a cryer. he started to cry just seeing me. but I did transfer him into the bait box in that farmers big live trap. so now I'm hopeing the fox will go on in there. if not the way that rabbit cryies I might just have to set the field here and call in a few yotes:wink: