xpress xp18

Discussion in 'Boating' started by cj7, Apr 6, 2009.

1. cj7

cj7 New Member

State:
    AR
    I am really intrested in xplorer series in an 18' with a 90 yamaha. Does anyone have one of these ? If so Id love to hear about it. How do you like it. Does it draft shallow? How well does a 90hp push it? I was on the river today momentarily:roll_eyes: but it was too rough out there in my boat. I would like to know how it handles rough water. My main thing is I want more boat and the stability it has. Thanks Chris

2. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I don't have an Xpress but do have a Crestliner CXJ 1870 which is similar and I absolutely love it. First thing I would look at is what degree the hull is, mine is 10 degree, I've rode in a couple of other nice boats but they were only 3 degree and had a harsh ride. Mine is 1100 pounds with a Mercury 90hp four stroke. I can get 48-50mph no problem with 2 people and all of my equipment. Rough water is also not a problem up to 40mph with a decent ride. Also does absolutely incredible on fuel. Looking at the pictures, I personally would not like that style of boat for catfishing because the rear deck is long and may become an issue if you decide to put rod holders across the back. Not many people have them but Crestliner makes an awesome boat, the CXJ series, I would also look at SeaArk as they are designed more for catfishing and have some great features. Here's a link to the Crestliner, http://store.sea-pro.com/crestliner-cxj1870.html, and a link to the Xpress you are talking about, http://www.xpressboats.com/view/118. Crestliner dropped the 18 foot boat for 2009 but they still make the 20 footers, or maybe you could find a used one out there. Chris

3. cj7

cj7 New Member

State:
    AR
    Chris Thanks for that post it was alot of help . I like that crestliner it looks really nice:eek:oooh: I looked at that xpress at a boat show and it was ideal to me ,but I see what you mean about the deck .If you were not already back there it would be a scramble to reach your rod holders. I did like the 2 livewells and the storage it has. How are the prices on that model crestliner?

4. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    I had an Xpress HD18SC as my first "new" boat a couple of years ago. That was the first and last Xpress I'll ever own...

Rough riding P.O.S. with about 3" of freeboard in the back, couldn't cut the throttle without water sloshing in over the transom. Couldn't get it to plane out at less than about 25 mph - so there's no way to get around at night unles you're idling. Paper-thin hull and generally poor quality of build all the way around, from the seats to the welds to the console.

I haven't looked too closely at the Crestliner like Chris has, but I'd imagine it's a better quality boat in any case. The 10 degree hull is going to ride better than anything Xpress hass - my Xpress was supposed to have a 6 degree hull but would beat you to death in even the slightest chop.

Personally, I'd take a close look at SeaArk - if you can find one with the layout you want and that fits your budget, I'm certain you'll be a happy camper. They're well made, tough-as-nails boats designed for years of service. I'd think you could find an 18' V-hull that's affordable and perfect for catfishing.

5. cj7

cj7 New Member

State:
    AR
    well I went and looked at some boats at an xpress dealer in Nashville yesterday ,but they didn't have what I want so I will probly go to shreveport to talk to them and go take one out

6. screamnclickersc

screamnclickersc New Member

State:
    S.C.
    I will personally vouch for my 17' Xpress-rides smooth & gets on plane quick.Mine is open from front to back-no rear deck ,livewells ,or any of that.Its the same size as a 18' G3.I run a Yamaha 40hp that will push it 30 mph w/ 3 people + 200 lbs. of fish!

Attached Files: