Xpress boats

Discussion in 'Boating' started by e5catfish, Oct 30, 2006.

1. e5catfish

e5catfish New Member

State:
    Smilax, KY
    I've been reading up on Xpress boats in the catalog and thought I'd ask if any of you guys know anything about them. To start with, how good are they? I'm more interested in an 18 or 19' bassboat rig, like the X series with a big engine. Do they really ride as good as they say in the catalog? Are they as stable as they say? According to the specs, they're even wider than a Triton! Are they really that nice of an high-end priced boat? In short, are they worth it? One downside I've noticed so far is there is only one livewell. A big drawback for me since I need a big livewell in the back for the cats and would prefer at least a 12 gallon livewell in the front for the bait.

2. screamnclickersc

screamnclickersc New Member

State:
    S.C.
    I can only speak for their duckboats.I have the 17' jon(VX17DB).I bought it especially for catfishing.It has a 76" beam & 25" sides- widest in its' class.I run a tiller so I have plenty of room to sling catfish.I also like the front dropdeck, its perfect for crappie trolling-the deck is 6' wide & 4' long.The boat is built like a tank & has a sprayed in camo liner.----I took it in for service and it was parked beside a 18' G3 jon,mine was wider and only maybe 6' shorter in the nose than the G3.

3. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    I have a 2005 HD18SC and I'm not particularly impressed.

Rides rougher than a cob in anything other than a light chop. Not laid out well for catfishing, but probably fine if you want to catch bass or crappie. The paint was applied poorly - too thin in several places and isn't adhering well in other places. I had a problem with the automatic livewell timer - the factory was very responsive in getting a replacement sent out to me, and they've sent me 2 cans of touch-up paint at no charge. The rod locker isn't dry storage at all - the carpet in the locker is continually wet and stinks. In fact, the only "dry" storage on the boat is under the bench seat. None of the other hatches or storage under the front deck is water-tight. Oh - and my dealer went out of business about 2 months after I bought mine, leaving me high and dry as far getting service.

It's certainly not a bad boat, but it's not a catfish boat either. And the X series are even less suited for catfishing than the one I have. If you want a bass boat, Xpress makes a pretty nice boat.

4. screamnclickersc

State:
    S.C.
    Like I stated earlier,the duckboats are best suited for catfish.My rod box & front deck storage stays dry.And you don't want carpet in a cat boat,the liner stays cooler in the summer & keeps gear from sliding.---Don't buy a bass boat for catfishing.Just my thoughts.

5. screamnclickersc

State:
    S.C.
    Did you get the Hyper-Lift hull model?Mine is the regular hull & rides smooth at 32 mph.

6. jga

jga New Member

State:
    missouri
    I just bought a 16' Xpress duck boat with 9.8h Tohatsu tiller motor. I don't have any problems so far. The boat is plenty wide and is very stable. I bought the 21'' height boat though. I can't really say how choppy it is in the rough water because the motor I have doesn't move it very fast. I would consider a much larger motor than the one I chose because I am limited to lakes and smaller rivers with less current. But for the money I couldn't beat my Xpress boat.

7. crome

crome New Member

State:
    ilm,nc
    did you have your glasses on when you was beside the g3?...LOL!!..just picking on ya! your boat is not bigger,but its not that much smaller than my g3.my neighbor has the vx17db,its a nice boat,but the paint looks like sh!!.:sad2:

8. huntduck

huntduck New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I have a 2007 18HDCC Tunnel Hull.I cant say much as far as the ride of the X series,but my boat is very stabel.They do offer a catfish boat with a large livewell that I would have gotten,if not wanting the tunnel hull.
    I had a 2005 1756 WarEagle,which as far as the hull goes was fine.The only problem was the thin gauge floor that made popping noises every time you would walk across the deck.