Xpress boat gunnels??

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Phil50, Aug 18, 2006.

1. Phil50

Phil50 New Member

State:
    Il
    I have a Xpress boat that the gunnels have a slot in that is suppose to be to mount accessories such as rod holders, etc. Where can I buy the aluminum stock that will fit this gunnel? I want to make mounts for the Down East rod holders that I've got coming.

Thanks!

2. metalfisher

metalfisher New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Don't know of any stock that might fit the slot. It could be it is made for a bolt head to slide into for something like a duck blind.

I could be wrong.

Robert

3. Phil50

Phil50 New Member

State:
    Il
    Yes, the top groove is for a t-bolt to be installed to hold the piece on.

4. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    The boat dealers can get it for you. Its only $10 per foot.. LOL Of that was what it was a few months ago.
    Pete

5. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    I have the same slot in my boat and found that the brass commode bolts work well they may need to be cut down after the rod holders are attached

6. screamnclickersc

screamnclickersc New Member

State:
    S.C.
    1/4' carriage head bolts work really well also.I bought my Xpress from Pine Crest Marina-he had mounts to fit them,but they were $16 each.I'll try to send a pic of mine.

7. Phil50

Phil50 New Member

State:
    Il
    Yes, I found some aluminum stock for the gunwales at another dealer. He charged me $18 per foot, and the stainless T-bolts were $7 per bolt. I made my own T-bolts from 5/16" carrage bolts.

I'll post a picture of them when I get then done.

Thanks for all the ideasguys!

Phil

8. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    If you guys could post some pics that would be great. I have a Lowe and I haven't found a good solution to make use of my gunwale channel yet. I thought about buying one of the factory rod holders and than duplicating it myself but they're $70 a piece. Some type of T-bolt looks like what I need but I haven't been able to find anything like that at a store.

9. Phil50

Phil50 New Member

State:
    Il
    That sure seems high to me also. $18 per foot seems awful high too. There has to be a cheaper alternative.

I'm going to finish my rod holders tomorrow morning. I'll try to post some pictures tomorrow. Being new here, I'm not sure I'll be able to post pictures as the board won't let me view pictures till I have 10 posts. Will try though.

10. screamnclickersc

screamnclickersc New Member

State:
    S.C.
    Here are my holders I made for my Xpress.$8 for a 2' piece of aluminum and maybe $10 in bolts/nuts.I did the machine work myself,so no $$$ there.

Attached Files:

11. GoFish_Tony

GoFish_Tony New Member

State:
    Big Rock, IL
    Nice job!! Those things look simple and strong!!!!!
    _

12. Phil50

Phil50 New Member

State:
    Il
  13. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Looks like you did a fine job on those mounts. I wish there was some kind of extruded aluminum like that for my boat.

14. huntduck

huntduck New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I have a new 07' 18HDcc Tunnel hull.I had the dealer order the rail for me when I ordered my boat.I think it was around 13 bucks a foot.Only problem is they changed rail on HD models in 07' and rail would'nt fit.

15. Phil50

Phil50 New Member

State:
    Il
    I thought I read in another thread that you have an Xpress boat?

16. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Uh uh, Lowe. And my gunwale channel looks nothing like yours. I'll get a pic of it and a pic of the so so mounts I've already made and post it here later on.

17. Phil50

Phil50 New Member

State:
    Il
    Sorry Dave, I got my boats and people mixed up. The aluminum stock that I used for the rod holders is just an aluminum extrusion that I can't find anywhere on the internet. There is a good chance Express Boats are the only ones that use that particular extrusion. That would explain the high price??

Most any extrusion with a 1/4" key running the length of it would work. But this particular extrusion does fit the contour of the gunwale very nicely.

18. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    You can find T bolts at rail road salvage plus lots other things to convert to fishing.

19. cj7

cj7 New Member

State:
    AR
    I'm looking at an Express x18. Anyone have any experience with that line of boats? Thanks

20. cj7

cj7 New Member

State:
    AR
    Ok how about any aluminum bass fishing rig like that. I want to use it on the red river. I have been useing my old alumacraft with no trim or shallow water drive