X135 Fish Finder

Discussion in 'Outdoor Articles' started by DeerHunter01, Jan 24, 2008.

1. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Two year's ago in October 2005, I was fishing some good structure here on the Ohio River and made a post to such, the water currents had just picked up for fall time and the river was starting to come up a bit. Here is the fish finder on the structure that I was fishing maybe some of this will show you how the fish get behind the current and hold in place.

[​IMG]

# 1. Here is the fish I found just before I caught my 48.11 Pound flathead, out of this hole here. This photo was taken off the fish finder 10 Minutes prior to me catching him. It shows good detail of the fish sitting in behind the roots of a tree, and for the most part 90% of them are not scaled fish. My thoughts when I seen it was that is Flatheads laying on the bottom in this deeper hole in the middle of the day. 1:00PM in the afternoon.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [​IMG]

# 2. This is the same hole just turned the boat around and went back over them, just too many fish in one hole..(lol) But its a better close up showing no echo's off of most of the fish.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [​IMG]

# 3. This picture was just about 20 foot behind the trees sticking out of the water and I had a boat go by and rocked the boat when I took the picture, it shows the fish but in jagged lines when this happens.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[​IMG]

# 4. Gives you some details of these fish how there laying next to the bottom of the river.

[​IMG]

# 5. Looks like a good tree stump that I caught the fish off of with roots, this shows the front edge of it showing air coming off the tree with a lot of bait intermixed and also shows some feeding fish off the side.

[​IMG]

#6. This one here is one off the Green river the other night when the water was coming hard down the river if you notice the fish sitting right on the back side of the stump staying out of the current flow, he almost looks as if he is part of it, then right behind him is another fish suspended just off the bottom but the structure in front of it has the current blocked by the looks of it, We were on our way back to the boat ramp when I seen this or I would of fished these fish showing here.
    The first fish on the left is showing a bow echo off of it, that tells me it has scales.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[​IMG]

# 7. Here is the most of the structure you see here in this Photo and the shots 1-6 is taken in these trees.

This is my way to tell if a fish has scales or not, which gives it a much better chance of being a catfish than anything else:

Take a look at Picture Number # 1.

If you look at the fish at 25 feet you will notice a pencil line drawn off the back side of it, that is a echo effect you get when a fish has scales, now look down thru the rest of the fish in # 1 . 35 foot and 37 foot is showing the same thing, now the fish that is not showing that have to be non-scaled fish, what fish do not have scales on them, One a catfish , Two a paddlefish, not to many that I can think of right off the top of my head right now. Now we have limited down the fish we are looking for, so now we need to look at current holding to the bottom, Flatheads lay on the bottom and feed, daytime visit deep holes then move to shallow in the evening just before dark, so now you can set up on there running path to where they feed if you find them in the daytime like this.

Now look at Picture number # 6 you will see the fish on the left has a fine pencil line coming off the left side of it, so I assume its got scales so I shy away from this fish, and target them other two, the most important fish and nice size is the one laying on the stump.

I hope this helps you. Remember guys if your fish finder does not have the watts you might not get these kind of images on it, most likely not.

Thanks
    Eric Simcox
    Deerhunter01