WylieCat makes return visit to Lake Norman

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Mac-b, Jun 21, 2007.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    It seems like WylieCat can not get enough of LKN, because he is making a return visit to fish with LKNB's. He was here just a couple of weeks ago. Seems like he wants to beat his PB of 25 blues in less than five hours or does he want to find some more secert holes. He informed me by land line that he was bringing plenty of white perch and bream/gill heads. Wind will be out of the NorthEast at 4 to 10 MPH. Let's hope that some of the big ones have come off thier spawn and he can get a nice one. PS, we will be fishing out of WylieCats boat, it seems to draw the fish in!

2. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Good Luck Mac!!! Now go Knock Um Dead. J.D. :byebye:

3. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Another great trip with LakeNormanBlues!! :big_smile:

It was a beautiful morning with an air temp of 65 degrees, water around 81-83, winds from the north at 5mph, and a steady barometer at 1019mb.

We did a lot of drifting and got on fish almost as soon as the lines hit the water. I landed a nice 8 pound channel cat, which is really good for Norman, and one I wish I could have in the tournament Friday. Lots of channel cats today, but Mac said we would probably catch a lot where we were fishing.

We also caught a cooler full of white perch. They were biting so heavy that I was catching them on bare gold hooks! Nice not having to bait up. The one catch is that they would only hit from one direction. We made a pass back over the area in the opposite directiona and could not catch a fish. When we came back a third time they lit up like the first. So, there is some truth to the direction of a drift being important.

We hooked up a couple of smaller ones on the drift rigs and got a couple of nice runs. It was really nice listening to the clicker spool off with the live baits, but neither of us could manage a hook-up. Was it ol' Mr. Flattie? Who knows, but I bet Mac will be back out there soon to find out!!

According to the handy fish counter we ended the day with 17 catfish. I am sure we could have caught more, but we got a bit sidetracked by the hits on the live perch and focused on that for a while. Overall a great day!

Attached Files:

4. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    With all the white perch we have on LKN, I hate to think what it is going to be like in the next several years when all these perch grow up. I know that the flats, big blues and stripers will put a dent in thier population, but there are just so many that I don't think it will hurt them. They (white perch) have eliminated the white bass population and our yellow perch population is almost gone. I use to be able to go down to my boat dock at first light and catch enough yellow (racoon) perch for a four hour trip the next day, but no more.

But, if I could get WylieCat to come over to Norm every other day and fish for them, I bet he would do more harm to the white perch than the bass, stripers or cats. He is a machine when it comes to perch fishing. Bait or empty gold hook, doesn't matter, he will bring them into the boat.

Today, he caught a 8+ pound channel cat on cut bait, beating my PB by 1/2 pound. Catching an eight pound channel on Norman is equal to a catching a 35 to 40 pound blue on this lake, it is rare but possible.

You'll come to LKN and catch you some perch and vacuum seal and then freeze them and you will have some good bait for your next catfish outing. If you use this technique, you will find that they will bleed (if you vacuum sealed them while they were alive) after you thaw them and then cut them up for bait. Bream is the same way. By doing this you never have to worry about having bait for your next fishing trip. Mac

5. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    Mac, I had 35 perch left after you took your cut out of the cooler, so Lordy only knows the total. Next week we need to go out and take our fish ckicker counters and go after those suckers and see how many we can catch!! :big_smile: Not a bad way to keep you busy while waiting on a cat to hit. I think if we had brought some Sabiki rigs we could have pulled them up six at a time.

By the way folks, most of the cats we caught came on vacuum sealed perch, so they do freeze well. If you keep them iced after you thaw them the meat will stay tough for a while, but if you do not ice them they will get mushy.

Mac you are right about the whiter perch taking over. It is amazing how those little suckers will run other similar size game fish out. They obviously make great food for the apex predatos like the blue cats and stripers, but it is at the cost of the crappie and white bass.

That eight pound channel was a surprise on Norman. LKN has some awesome blues, but they have about out competed the channels for food. This ol' channel found her a nice cove where she could eat!! :big_smile:

6. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    What month is it that the alien spacecraft descends and turns the water dark while leaving Norman devoid of catfish aka the "Dead Sea". It sounds like the bite is red HOT right now. I might need to scoot up for some frying pan cats!

7. CMJ

CMJ Guest

Yeah, the white perch ( waccamore ) make very good bait and are fun to catch while waiting for the cats but I do miss the white bass. They are gone from Tillery as far as I know and Badin too. There might one caught here and there out of Badin. I think a lot of people mistake white perch for white bass. I remember going to the uwharrie during the white bass run when I was in my teens and 20's ( along time ago...:lol: ) and having a lot of fun. That's a thing of the past. I emailed N.C Wildlife a few years ago and asked if they would ever re-stock them in Tillery and Badin . Well they said the white perch had occupied too much territory and were really out of control. The same thing was starting to happen at Jordan. The white bass run in the haw river is not what it used to be from what I hear.

8. Pier Pressure

Pier Pressure New Member

State:
    Mt.Pleasant,NC
    The last couple of years the white perch population has been exploding on badin. Catching bait they are a real pain, I might have got one here and there at the dam a few years ago and now it's 10 to 20 every throw along the shore. A couple of weeks ago I was across from old whitney and saw a swath of busting fish I thought was bait, 5' wide and 25' long. I threw the net twice and caught approx. 100 white perch and not one shad, which I thought was getting chasing to the top by something. The water appeared to boil from the bubbles coming from them hitting the top. I do think something should be done about them to keep them in check, however it's probably too late for that. Sounds like the WRC knows it's a lost cause, but the upside is they are a great tasting fish and alot people I've talked to haven't even considered eating them.

9. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    I am happy to report that a lot of anglers on Wylie are snapping the lips off the White Perch. I saw a boatful of people with rod tips going down with hand sized perch. They were having a great time. I wanted to yell across the lake WAY TO GO---Catch 'em all!!!!

10. CMJ

CMJ Guest

Yeah about the only way to get rid of them would be to drain the lakes and kill everything, we don't want that to happen. I can put up with them because they make good catfish bait, and they are good on the table if you can get some of the bigger ones to fillet. It would be nice if the NCWRC would make it LEGAL to keep so many caught in the throw net to use for bait.You could never make a dent in them. I know, that's not going to happen, they're a gamefish.

11. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    "... I think a lot of people mistake white perch for white bass..."

You are so right. I had a guy come running into the marina the other day asking if thye had some minnows because they were ON the white bass. He said they were slayin' 'em and needed more bait. I asked him to show me some of his white bass, and sure enough he had about a dozen whiter perch!! :smile2:

A man told me about a guy that may have caught the SC state record white perch in Wylie, but it's going through more DNA testing than Anna Nicoles babys daddy!!!! :smile2:

Interesting note on white perch. I added some live ones to my bait tank along with my bream. Within two days my bream were dead and the white perch were fine. Not sure if the perch are stressing the bream or if the bream are picking up some disease from the water. I plan to add a screen to divide the tank and then add some more bream and see what happens. If these fish are capable of driving bream to dieing then they may be an even larger problem than we think.

The good news is that everything eats them. Catfish love them and largemouth love them. LakeNormanBlues can speak to that!! :wink:

12. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Gees Diet, who WAS this feller you met up with at the marina? Could it have been a YANKEE :wink:? (Don't get your underwear in a wad northern folks, I'm just kidding.) Guess I'm not really that informed as a whole, but I DO think I know the difference in perch and bass :roll_eyes:. NOW y'all have me dreamin' about a Lake Norman trip with both of ya, that would be :cool2:!

13. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    dieter if you put the white perch in a super bait tank with herring they will turn the water dirty pretty fast. dont know if thats the problem with the bream or not but could be. maybe they put off alot of amonia sp? i just started throwing all mine in the live well and keep them seperated. when fishing a tour. i hope they all get eat for the weigh in.:smile2: im not so sure i can tell the difference myself but both work for bait. them flatheads will eat one ever now and then.:wink:

14. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    Normally the perch die off fairly fast, especially last year in my smaller bait tank. Now I have a really large one, just like they sell minnows out of in the store, and the perch are doing well. I hope to catch some of each tomorrow and give it another try.

I e-mailed a couple of biologists and they said it is really hard to tell from a confined environment like a bait tank. If I can get them to live in a segregated tank, then I will add a couple of bream to the perch side and see what happens. Some good 'ol amateur biology!! :wink:

Catgirl I will bring some gloves along if you are on my boat so you don't chip a nail.... :eek:oooh: