Wylie boys visit Lake Greenwood

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by mudkip, Sep 19, 2007.

1. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Mudkip, Wyliecat and Billfish76 made the trip to Lake Greenwood today in search of the elusive double digit weight channel catfish. None of us have ever been on this lake. We looked at it as a chance to test out our fishing skills on new water. We took 2 boats. Wyliecat and Billfish headed down lake while I had my eye on the upper lake section where the two rivers meet. Had a lot of trouble getting bait. Only managed a few large gizzard shad and several threadfin shad in many many casts. Started out drifting the strong north wind howling down the river near the Twin Rivers Marina. There was a large flat there about 15-20 feet deep and the small fish were stroking it pretty well. Didn't want little ones so moved down lake. Fared no better but lots of bites and had a lot of fun fishing Greenwood. I managed 16 cats with the best being around 5.25 pounds. Wyliecat and Billfish did much better with a couple 8 pound class fish and a cooler full of bait. I believe we caught about 33 total cats in a good day of fishing on Lake Greenwood. We agreed it is very similar to Wylie. We will be back. A very nice lake.

2. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Those big channels are in there all right, ya just gotta hunt'em down :smile2: I'mo give it a try my own self tomorrow.

3. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I hope I can catch up and fish with y'all sometime. Glad y'all enjoyed Greenwood because its a nice lake.

4. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    DD
    DD
    DD
    DD

Double Digit channel cats! Gonna get one here soon!

5. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Having never been to Greenwood it was real evident that crappie are very popular there. While looking for bait I noticed wood on just about every pier I visited. If I had known I would have brought a crappie pole and jig. I bet you could wear them out in a couple weeks. Also I noted the old bridge up lake with the wooden legs. It also looks like a crappie magnet. I wonder how many white perch a man could catch in the summer if he put a lantern on that bridge at night:wink:

6. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    Its always good when you go to a unfamiliar lake and catch what you did. Most of the time it seems to always be a few times out to do well. Congrats on the fish.

7. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    We found it to be much like Wylie. The lakes are very comparable in size and depth. I think the cool snap may have hurt us a bit. The bait was real hard to get on. I know at most lakes bait is easy to find in the fall. I look forward to going back and getting a big channel cat.

8. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I'd say you could catch five times the legal limit in 24 span. The white perch get pretty good size in Greenwood also along with the crappie. I have found over 50 brush piles around Goat Island.

9. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    mudkip i feel your pain...i have thrown the cast net so many times at greenwood that i physically could not throw it anymore and then there are other times where 2 or 3 throws and your loaded up...congrats on the catch...especially for the first outting...you'll be on a big boy in no time...but hey y'all don't give up to much good info:wink::roll_eyes::wink: