Wylie and Mountain Island...

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by mintaka, Dec 7, 2009.

1. mintaka

mintaka Well-Known Member

State:
    Charlotte , N.C
    Thursday morning following work , I decided to ride down to Copperhead and try my luck. After a 2 week skunking , I was at least hoping for some positive bites. I arrived at 8:15 to a temp of 51 degrees and and rather blustery winds from the west. Using shad and livers , I was down there for about 5 minutes when the first bite was on the livers. It felt like a decent size , but threw the hook. 20 minutes later , my largest rod started to bow and curtsy before falling and nearly going for a swim. When I grabbed it , the line went slack. I said to myself , 'It seems these fish know when the rod is picked up' , only to be on the recieving end of the biggest battle I've endured from that lake. 5 minutes later , I pulled a 7 pound blue!!

Friday morning after work , I headed to Riverbend at the water outlet. Using the same combo , no bites came on anything. Following the 15 minute rule , I headed to a different spot. 15 minutes later , the big rod bows again and when I picked it up , it went slack. About 30 yards out , I noticed something floating in the water. I thought momentarily that it was a small bull shark. When it rolled over sluggishly that's when I knew what it was. I began to reel it in , with absolutely no resistance from the fish. However , when the fish got close enough to see me , it went insane!! Standing on a high bank , I was being pulled by the fish , then trying to steer the fish where I would be able to lip it. 10 minutes later , I pulled a 15 pound channel out!! I always had a feeling my next PB would come from MIL , but to land 2 of equal size 2 weeks apart was phenomenal , at least for me.

Both big bites came on cut shad.
    This sequence of events has entrenched a deep and firm belief in the benefits of good shad!!

I'll post the pics to these trips as well as the initial new PB caught 2 weeks ago when I get a data cord for my phone.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
  2. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Congrats on the PB Mason! Glad you got on some fish:wink:

3. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    congrats mason-just txt the pic to your email. should be no charges to do this. i just learned how a couple months ago. pm me if you need more details.

4. catamount311

catamount311 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Congrats man sounds like a blast.

5. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Good story Mason!!

Congrats on two nice fish! Lots of people give up on catfish this time of the year, but winter is when you have a good shot at a whopper blue on the Catawba.

:wink:

Keep it up, and post us some pics!

6. holliswood

holliswood Well-Known Member

State:
    King, NC
    Is there any campground there with decent shoreline fishing? I've never been there. Would a cut bass minnow work? Thanks. Good catch bud!

7. Salthart

Salthart New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. Congratulations sir !

8. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    Mecklenburg county has many parks on wylie. you can find them online on their website. Ebenezer is a nice one too that has a campground. I am assuming that is York county SC.
    For info on MIL, shoot Shrewboy Rob a pm. He works with the wildlfe at the parks. He can give lots of info over there.

9. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    Wylie has McDowell Park which has a camping area and plenty of shoreline to fish from.

10. catfishhunter2009

catfishhunter2009 New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Congrats on the new pb , Mason .:wink::big_smile: