Wyandotte lake opening day

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by flat fighter, Feb 20, 2006.

1. flat fighter

flat fighter New Member

State:
    kansas
    Wyandotte county lake opening day is this saturday 25th. If anyone is interested. It is a good spot to catch some early season channels. They close the lake for a month or two to stock it then they open the gates and let the slaughter begin.All you need is a kansas license. A trout stamp is needed if you want to keep trout.

2. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Ill be there on Sunday for a few hours before I go to the river .:) Should be plenty of trout left. Hope I can get a few channels also.

3. fishoutloud

fishoutloud New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I fish lake shawnee here in topeka when they open it for trout- should be the first sat. in march. If you want to catch some channels at this time buy a few salmon fillets at the grociery store- you can get the small ones for 5 for $5 here in topeka most the time at dillions- some of the trout that get hooked will break the line 'cause alot of people use #4 test- the result is some of these fish die and the cats will be eatin' em' I catch them this way about 2 weeks after the season opens- it doesn't hurt any to put the fillets in a bucket of water outside for a few days befor you go!! Good luck guys and post how ya' do!!

4. Catchinbiguns

Catchinbiguns Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    I'll probably go out there and mess around. I also am goin to the river Sunday.

5. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Kenny you wont be there, those trout are too tough for you........:p

6. Rajun_Cajun

Rajun_Cajun New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    did they just make it or has it been closed for a while and now its re-opening?

7. flat fighter

flat fighter New Member

State:
    kansas
    they shut it down for about a month to fishing so they can stock it with trout and channels. the lake has been there since the 50's i think

8. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Caught my limit today at Wyandotte. Ill probably be going back Mon or Tues. These two trout are the biggest of the 4. They both went 3-4 lbs. easy. My buddy caught a 5-6 lber, that fought forever. All on light tackle. Real fun. Some crappies were being taken off the pay dock. Didnt see any channels caught, but I didnt look real hard either. I was too busy having fun fighting the trout. :)

http://img18.imagevenue.com/img.php?loc=loc12&image=90118_trout2.JPG

9. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    Congrats on that catch man! Those are some beasts of fish! Wouldnt mind having one of them for dinner :002:

10. Catchinbiguns

Catchinbiguns Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Keith those fish probably broke a couple of your nice rods. LOL:p :p :p :p :p :p :cool:

11. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    I was using a 6'6 Berkley Cherrwood Med/Light Action 2 piece spinning rod with a Mitchell spinning reel, spooled with 8 lb. Berkley Vanish. I dont need to take my "nice" rods to catch trout. Kenny when you fish for trout you use a 12' surf rod with an abu 7000 spooled with 40 lb. Trilene Big Cat Solar Green line. Like I said earlier in this thread , those trout are too tough for you........:grin-big:

12. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    "40 lb. Trilene Big Cat Solar Green"

That sounds about right. I hear that trout are kind of line shy, so you wouldn't want to go too much heavier.

13. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing Well-Known Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    Way To Go Guys! Thanks for the report. When I get some time I'll Have to head out that way. I'll try to give some notice and maybe we can hook up at Dot Lake some time.

14. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks