Wyandotte Lake Flathead Catfish Anyone?

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by johnyjo, Apr 13, 2006.

1. johnyjo

johnyjo New Member

State:
    kansas
    anyone ever been to wyandotte lake to do any flathead fishing.
    any luck? hear any stories of catches from there? any opinions?

techniques?

anything would be helpful
    this has to be the closest lake with flats in it to where i live. just curious

what time of night to fish for them in a lake? 10? earlier? later?

thanx

2. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Wyandotte County Lake closes at midnight. There has been numerous 30+ lb. flatheads pulled out of that lake. If I was trying to get a flat there, I would try the grassy slope on the east side of the lake, or in the creek area after some good hard rains. :)

3. johnyjo

johnyjo New Member

State:
    kansas
    what kind of bait would you be using, was thinking small gills(4-6 inches) or even some smaller goldfish
    ive never fished for flats before
    ive usually fished for carp and channels around town

4. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Id try 3 baits. Live bluegill (as big as you can get), Big Ball of nightcrawlers, or Live bullhead (6-10"). :)

5. johnyjo

johnyjo New Member

State:
    kansas
    fishedo n bottom? off a float? slip float?
    close to shore? where i find channel cats? far out in the middle? i have 2 9 ft poles so i can cast a good distance

6. johnyjo

johnyjo New Member

State:
    kansas
    its been a while since my last post on this thread
    wonderedc if the water has warmed and sped up the action

7. KansasKatCatcher

KansasKatCatcher Active Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ka
    I'm Glad to here that there is flathead in there. I was a bit skeptical until now. I'm going to try to get one on the next All Night Fishing. Hope Goldfish will work.

8. dolphinswmmr

dolphinswmmr New Member

State:
    kansas
    I fish Wyandotte lake regularly. I have seen people pull 20# cats out of it. The biggest I have caught is 13#. The only thing i know of that they bite on is live worms. They are in the shallows usually in the coves also they hang out in shady areas in this lake. Best time to catch them is early moring around sunrise or in the evening just after sunset around 8-10 pm. Hope this helps you.

9. dolphinswmmr

dolphinswmmr New Member

State:
    kansas
    forgot to add that Wyandotte is only open from 6 am to midnight.

10. kat king buck

kat king buck New Member

State:
    kansas
    my grandpa caught a 50lb Flathead off the handicap dock years back you may have heard of him people called him aquaman he used the biggest green head sun perch aka rock perch he could find and always hooked it through the base of the tail so it would stay alive longer. i think it was about 11:30 at night but he would give up by 2:00am.

11. bluebasser86

bluebasser86 Member

State:
    Lane, kansas
    Name:
    Clayton
    Aquaman used to come into Cabela's all the time when I worked in the fishing department there. I still have quite a few of his hand tied jigs he gave me, the small ones are great for trout out there.

The water is extremely clear at Wyandotte right now and sounds like it will continue to be. They've changed how the creeks flow into the lake so they don't bring in the muddy water at the south end like they used to. That on top of the fact that it now has zebra mussels has put the water clarity at 21' visibility the last time they tested it. I was out there a week ago fishing for bass and saw several very nice channel cats in shallow water (<10') laying in brushpiles or near weeds. I tried pitching jigs with pork trailers to them but they weren't having anything to do with it.

12. R&R

R&R New Member

State:
    Kansas
    All nighters tonight. Who is game?