Wyandotte County Lake Opening Day

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by KC Jayhawk 78, Mar 7, 2008.

1. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Anyone besides me going to go tear those trout up tomorrow? I caught over 60 fish last year. Got most of them in March , then alot in October also when they did the last stocking. The licenses are expensive, but I got my moneys worth. Ive got a Laotian friend that trades me homemade eggrolls for trout. Needless to say I had a surplus of eggrolls. I dont like trout that much , too many bones, but very fun to catch. On light tackle , they put up a really good fight. Ill post some pics in this thread tomorrow. Hopefully I can get some more 4 and 5 lbers. like I did last year. :big_smile:

2. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    i tell ya, i'd love to go. i missed my trout trip last year to roaring river and it looks like we aint goin this year. ive been wantin to fish that lake for the last year but aint never made it there. you goin sat or sun ?? between a hauling job and some auto work tomorrow is purdy booked. thats good news though cuz then i'll have money for sunday. let me know, maybe it'll work out. i'll have to dust off my wee lil pole then (no pun !!)

3. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Ill be there tomorrow morning. If you are coming up Sun , be aware non-resident County permits are 30 bucks and the trout permit is 20. Add that to the 22 dollar state license , and thats 75 bucks to get all the right licenses and permits. They stock the trout 2 or 3 times in March , then 1 in October. If you can make it up to fish Wyandotte several times , then it is worth it, if not I wouldnt even waste my money. Over the next 2 weeks, I go every morning after work for a couple of hours. Ive been fishing that lake for years , I know the spots to hit'em. I always get my money's worth. If you plan on coming up Sun , let me know , and Ill put you on some trout. Know this though, the first 2 weeks up there, the lake is packed with people. Youve got to get there early. The park opens at 6am. Tomorrow morning Ill be at the back gate at 5am, as soon as they open it, I know right where to go. My buddy drove by up there a couple of hours ago, and he said there is already 20 cars with people camped out at the main gate. :sad2:

4. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    i dont remember it costin that much down at roaring river. did MO prices go up this year ?? maybe its my younghiemers

5. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Wyandotte County Lake is in Kansas , off of 435 by Cabelas and Legends. The Missouri Trout Springs/Streams is a whole different deal. Yeah Wyandotte rapes you on fees and permits, but they stock alot of trout, and alot of big ones. Ive seen 7 and 8 lbers come out of there in the past couple of years. My biggest was 5 1/2 lbs. I lost one at the bank last year that would of went 7 lbs. easy. They fight hard , and this is the event that always kicks off my fishing season. Click the attachment below for a map to get to Wyandotte.

Attached Files:

6. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
  7. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Good luck Keith on them trout.

8. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    How was the fishing Keith.Did you leave any trout in the lake?
    I bet you froze :0a10: your - - - off this morning....

9. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Yeah I froze my a$$ off. I didnt have any luck. There was ice all over. Hard to find a hole to cast in. Gave it a break for a few hours , and went back in the afternoon. Ice was melted by then , and all my spots were taken. Saw people get a few here and there. Oh well. Try again in the morning. :sad2:

10. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Went again yesterday morning , got my limit of trout in about an hour. Caught 3 on cleos and one on powerbait. Still hard to get to one of my spots. Too many people. Switched over to cats around noon , and tore em up. Got 9 cats all together, biggest was 3.5 lbs. Pretty fun. About to go back here in an hour. Ill get some pics up later. Camera batteries went dead on me yesterday.

11. KC Beer Man

KC Beer Man New Member

State:
    Kansas
    sounds like you had quite a turnaround Cathunter. I didnt have any luck opening day either but there is always another day.

12. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Way to go.......What a differance one day can make or should I say when the ice melts out of your fishing hole.

When is the fish fry?

13. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    I trade all the trout for homemade eggrolls. I gave the cats to a friend of mine. I had to go to work later that night and didnt have time to clean them. Besides, Ive got more cat and crappie in the freezer , that I havent had time to eat. I might try to bring it all to the Gathering for a big fish fry. :big_smile:

14. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Sounds like a good trade.

I can clean out some freezer fish for Milford as well if we are planning a fish fry.

15. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    like i posted before, i have a decent selection of game in the freezer. i can bring my fish fryer & my showtime rotisere.

16. kc river kid

kc river kid New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    i got to trout then on sunday i got sum cat :big_smile:

17. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Finally got some pics of some trout. Caught 16 yesterday, and 1 cat. Only fished for cats for about 45 min. Didnt have my headlight with me, my worms were in the car all day and were about dead, and it started raining, and the hill I was on was already real muddy. Any longer , and I might not have been able to get up it. :big_smile:

Attached Files:

18. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    good work bro !! my bank fishin aint wort a damn so far this year

19. Charlie365

Charlie365 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    When did they increase the trout limit to 16 ??

I thought it was only 4 or 5 ??

I'm still protesting the local permit stuff.

20. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    That was the bag of me and my 3 friends. They just let me keep em all.Yeah the permits suck, but I get my moneys worth. :wink: