Wyandotte - "All Night Long" Fishing Dates

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by Charlie365, Jul 13, 2006.

1. Charlie365

Charlie365 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    :big_smile: I called the Park & Rec Dept. and learned there are two dates left for All Night Fishing at Wyandotte County Lake in 2006.

Friday, July 14

Saturday, August 12

As you may know, normally this lake is closed at midnight which means they start running everybody out even before that.

On the 2 dates above, you're allowed to fish all night long !!

Also, there is no local fishing or boating permit required anymore except to harvest trout. You only need a Kansas State fishing license to boat and fish this lake !!

2. SPECTRE

SPECTRE New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Have you been to any of the previous "all nighters" at Wyandotte? Just wondering what to expect as far as number of people trying to get the good spots.

3. Charlie365

Charlie365 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    No, I've not been there for the all-night before but my son has once last year and he said it was really pretty crowded.

We went out on the July 14 date this year. We went in my boat. I would guess we were one of about a dozen boats on the lake. My son caught two channel cat, both above average size, about 2-3 lbs each, on chicken livers (wrapped in pantyhose). We fished mostly the south half of the cove on the east side entrance (one-way road is there for bank-fishing). Quit about 3 am.

Bank-fishing looked pretty crowded. Looked like pretty much every spot was taken where we were, but a lot of folks cleared out around midnight or thereabouts.

If I had it to do over, I think we should have fished the south end (toward the main entrance) where the shallow flats and weed areas are. I'm thinking a lot of cats probably move in there at night to feed.

4. herekitty

herekitty New Member

State:
    KS
    Thanks, I didn't know about the 'all nighters'

5. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    Lord have mercy!
    There are too many great lakes that you can fish all night long for me to fight crowds of people on the bank or in the boat at night!

Especially when you have the Kaw and the MO!

6. Charlie365

Charlie365 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    KC Cats,

I agree with the lots of choices AND better options. While I live within 15 minutes of this lake, I've never myself had the best of luck there.

It's really the closeness and convenience that attracts me. For an evening, fishing there would give me an extra 30 minutes to an hour of fishing time vs. travel to/home time.