WVU

Discussion in 'Ersel's Gridiron Talk' started by MattShannon, Nov 26, 2007.

1. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    I can't believe it. This is awsome for the Mountaineers. At the beginning of the season, I thought they had a good chance at the NC, but after the loss to USF, I believed it to be impossible. We just need to stay focused on the task at hand. We need to beat are biggest Rival, which should also be our easiest game. SHOULD = keyword there. Anything can happen at this point. I'm just hoping White stays healthy.

Every since White and Slaton started for the Mountaineers, they've won every game in which both players stayed healthy for the whole game. The Duo has only lost 3 games after taking the starting positions and 1 of them got hurt at some point in each loss. That's pretty cool, considering they won the Sugar Bowl as true freshman.

We played for the NC in 88 and lost after Major Harris was injured. White is so much like Harris it's scary to think it might happen again. We again played for a shared title in the early 90s after an undefeated season, but after crying and complaining of how bad we deserved a shot, they gave it to us, and we got killed by Florida.

We do have Coach RR and he invented the Spread Offense. He knows what's at stake w/next weeks game. Hopefully they'll stay focused and worry about the NC next month. Lets Go Mountaineers.

2. jerryb

jerryb New Member

State:
    Ohio
    With any luck, Oklahoma will take out Missouri and wham! one of the best championship games ever will be played - OSU and WVU! :big_smile:

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I do hope OU takes care of its business Saturday. Nothing against Missouri. If they make it to the championship game they will not have snuck in thru a back door as WVU and OSU. Which of those two teams won their conference championship game. Ah, I thought so.

4. dahoss2002

dahoss2002 New Member

State:
    Louisiana

5. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    Really, for WVU and OSU, what difference does it make? That would mean we play UConn again and OSU would play Michigan again. Do you honestly think the result would be any different? Both teams won their leagues playing 1 vs. 2 for their last conference games, so really what difference does it make?

There's still 1 game left and we need to worry about that.

6. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Well, If WV and and Mizz both lose then GA might get a shot in the title game. I would love for GA to get a shot, and maybe that would cause enough controversy to make the powers that be use a playoff system in the future. I hope either WV and Mizz both win or both lose, if they both win that should be a great championship game. WV is a great team and would definitely be undefeated right now if not for injuries (they would've beaten SF). If WV takes care of Pitt (I think they will), then good luck to them in the National Championship game.

7. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    I agree Bumper, there should be a playoff system. Of course I'm happy with the way things turned out so far, but it would be more fair to all involved and a lot less controversy if they had playoffs. You know that doesn't always decide a best team either, because any team can have a bad day, but it would make things a heck of a lot closer. To be honest with ya, I was kind of worried that we may play GA in a rematch Sugar Bowl. I'm not so sure we can beat them twice.

First I'm just hoping we beat Pitt. Then I would kind of like to see us play OSU instead of Missouri. I think we would have more fans west of WV rooting for us against OH. Who knows though, I'm trying to cut down on the smack for now and hope for the best, but expect the worst.

8. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    WAY TO F' IT UP!

I didn't realize how terrible they were without Pat White.

9. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Sorry WV fans, I know it has been a horrible night and day for you guys. Now you get to play OK in the Fiesta Bowl. I hope your coach can get WV ready for a tough OK team. I would rather play Ohio St. than OK right now. Maybe Pat White will be healthy and you guys can handle the Sooners.

10. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    Your right and I had my own doubt about them deserving a shot as #1 or 2. I had a bad feeling when White got hurt, and said previously in this thread that I hoped he stays healthy. That was definitely a huge factor, but I think it goes back to the O line. They couldn't block for nothing. They haven't been much good all year. They did play good D as usual. You can't take anything away from the defense, they came to play. What else is there to say, they screwed it up. Hopefully they'll get their act together before the Fiesta Bowl.

11. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    I heard that Bumper. Sorry GA got the shaft. They should be playing OSU in Jan. Even though they didn't win the SEC, they had the BCS rankings to go. They also know how to finish a game. Too many close games won by LSU for them to be put above GA.

12. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Oh yes. I can't wait for this game. I hope both teams play up to their abilities. This could be a fun game to watch.

13. jerryb

jerryb New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Not to take anything away from WVU, but that one sideline official did everything he could to try and keep Pitt from winning...

That game reminded me of the OSU/Illinois game - looked like Pitt came in to play their best, and WVU didn't take them seriously until it was too late. Just like Illinois did to OSU.

Georgia, IMHO, got screwed. if there was never any intent to give them a shot at the NC (and I don't believe there was), they should never have been ranked at #4. They were teased - big time.

14. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    All I know now is WV will have to play their best game to beat Oklahoma. ESPN has Oklahoma as a 65% favorite. GO MOUNTAINEERS

15. Katfishing Cajun

Katfishing Cajun New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Not going to happen, Oklahoma's going to wipe the floor with them to make a statement why they should of been in the Championship game! But hey I could be wrong!!!!!

16. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    I can't argue with that and I can see why many would agree. That's why they have the votes in their favor; however, this is very familiar territory for WV. GA was a huge favorite in our last BCS bowl and WV shocked the country. They did it once, they can do it again. GO MOUNTAINEERS

17. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Matt, come January the whole WV team will be on the field. I feel torn between Lawrence and the Sooners and you and the Mountaineers. I think the mountaineers will prevail. Just because the sooners gave it their all and got snubbed in the end. They should have LSU's spot if Georgia didn't deserve it. I just think the let down will do them in.

18. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I just don't believe Stoops will allow his team to have a let down. They got lazy in the Colorado game, and the QB knocked out on the first or second offensive play against Tech. Barring these two things happening again, there is going to be one heck of a game played. Lets just hope the Sooners recognize WV and don't think they are North Texas. LOL History has shown no team with a freshman QB has won the National Championship - so its staying its course. We are all ready looking forward to next year when all but two members of the team return and Bradford, barring a Colt McCoy slump, leads the team again. Wonder what the preseason polls will look like?

19. rosscatman

rosscatman Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I know Im going to get you georgia brothers mad at me but they dont belong in the national championship.There can be made a argument there playing the best ball right now and I couldnt argue that.My favorite team is the Buckeyes but Im a huge Bearcat fan to and I think the got royally you no what in the bowls.We beat South florida on there home field and smoked UCONN and they got better bids.When UC's coach was interviewed locally on the radio he said they were one of the best teams in the big east in the later part of the season but Uconn and south florida over the whole season had a better body of work.And I respect that.Georgia has 2 loses one of them by 21 points to the volunteers.Do you really feel a team that lost by 3 touchdowns belongs in the national championship?

20. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Not any more than a team with two losses, although in overtime, deserves to be in the game. Sad to say, a loss is a loss - don't matter by how much or under what conditions. There is one team which won it all, and some one loss teams out there which should have got their shot. Hawaii's schedule could not have been much worse than Ohio States.