WV Non-Resident Fishing License ?

Discussion in 'LOCAL WEST VIRGINIA TALK' started by catfishjohn, Apr 17, 2009.

1. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I was wondering If you have to buy the Trout stamp along with the license. On the site, Its $35 for the license, $12 for the Conservation/Law Enforcement Stamp and $15 for Trout Stamp. If you never plan on Trout Fishing why would you have to get it? I understand about the stamp, sort of.:confused2:
    $62 is a lot for a license. I only pay $40 for my Ohio non-res one.
    Thanks for any help!

2. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Love the avatar, I was there on the Ohio side right about where you are standing the other day.(just looking) Ever fish the "bay" behind you?

I can't imagine WV would make ya get the trout stamp, run though the one-line license thing and see if it makes ya. You can "bug out" at the last minute I think.

3. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Thanks!!! Yep, caught lots of skippies over that way. People do pretty good there for several species. Let me know next time you're down that way. Me and Larry was up checking out the Guyandotte & boat ramp today. The ramp is usable and the river looks good. Hopefully we'll be fishing there before long.
    I'll check out that, I'll let you know what it says.
    OK, on the one page it makes it sound like you have to. $49 isn't near as bad...:smile2:

4. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    You shouldnt need the trout stamp unless you will be fishing waters with trout in them. Then I would have them just to be on the safe side. Sorry Im late getting to this havent been on in a while.

5. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Thanks! I don't think we'll be fishing anywhere we'll need the trout stamp. Mainly the Ohio & Guyandotte rivers.
    Another question, can you guys use game fish(such as bass & crappie) as bait? I know here in KY you can't.:sad2: Were gonna be targetting flatties and will need some extra large baits if we can use them.
    Thanks for the help guys, hope to get to meet some of you all this year!:cool2:

6. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    We use bluegills and sunfish alot but Im not sure about bass and crappie. Bass I would say no because of the limits and they are specified as a game fish but I not real sure. Maybe 1 of the other guys here will know. I couldnt find anything on the WVDNR website.

7. CATFISH1998

CATFISH1998 New Member

State:
    Westerville,Ohio
    Fish West Virginia a lot never had to get the trout stamp.

8. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Thanks, we use gills and sunfish here mainly. I'm wanting to try out some large baits this year, 1lb+ baits.
    I know right across the river in OH you can use any fish for bait as long as its caught by hook. Just not sure if its that way in WV or not. I'm like you, I looked at the WVDNR site and couldn't find anything either. It'll be next month before I get my WV license so I'm sure I'll find out more info by then. At least I hope.:smile2: If all else fails I'll just call the DNR and ask them.

9. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Calling the DNR would be the best thing to do. They write the tickets. :smile2: Good luck fishing!

10. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Thats true! Thanks & best of luck fishing to you!

11. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    Official stance of WV DNR is if you catch it on your hook it can be bait.Even trout as long as you have a stamp lol.I grilled them last year on the bait regulations.

12. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Thanks! Thats exactly what I wanted to hear!:cool2: