WV, best place to get a deer!!

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by DANZIG, Oct 11, 2008.

1. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    But probably not the way you want to.....

Deer-Vehicle Collisions Most Likely in West Virginia

By AP
    Posted: 2008-10-10 10:39:05
    CHARLESTON, W.Va. (AP) - For the second straight year, data gathered by State Farm Insurance shows that vehicles are most likely to collide with deer in West Virginia -- a one in 45 chance.

That's up from a year ago when the odds were one in 57.....

http://autos.aol.com/article/news/_...lsec0004&icid=200100397x1210657163x1200687363

2. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    :crazy: I can believe that. Man Ive hit a few of them. Not fun and it just ruins the meat.

3. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I used to live in Clarksburg going home its not uncommon on fri. night to see 50+ between charelston and the exit that cuts over to Elkins

4. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Does the state issue enough tags for hunters to harvest these deer ??? In Pa. we have the same problems in certain areas but there is little we can do about it if the state doesn`t issue the tags.

5. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I beleive so I havent hunted in WV in a long time but I THINK the limit is 5 but do not quote me on that .

6. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Sounds like it's time to install a deer catcher on the pickup truck..:roll_eyes::wink:

7. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    3 with the bow, 2 bucks, 2 muzzleloader, and up to 4 does depending on which part of the state your in.

8. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Here in Pa. we can shoot one buck with a 3 point to one side restriction in most areas of the state and one doe. In the special regulations areas ( Allegheny county ) a hunter can buy as many doe tags as he desires until they are gone but the problem in these areas is a lack of huntable land , so the area can be over harvested in a short time.

9. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I live in the eastern panhandle of WV and its getting to that point here. Its getting hard to find ground to hunt with all the farms disappearing to housing developments. The deer are really being pushed into smaller areas and thats where alot of them are being hit here. Those smaller areas are mostly family farms which many are reluctant to let anyone hunt because they ve had some idiot hunt on there and screw it up for everyone. There is some mountain land still that can be hunted and the Sleepy Creek Management Area but thats about it.

10. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Don't know if this is the kind of hunting you like to do but as a teenager many moons ago we hunted around Spruce Knob . But.... That was 25 years ago.

11. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I have never hunted there but I have hunted Hampshire and Hardy Counties. I have a few places around home here to hunt but some of those places have dropped off due to the developments. It just sickens me to see the farms and orchards of my youth disappearing. I guess we all have to deal with change.:sad2:

12. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    We have the same problem here but I think it has more to do with the short season, (12 days of gun season), and no Sunday hunting. The number of hunters is declining because most working people can only hunt on 2 Saturdays during the gun season.