Writing a catfishersmans dictionary! Need BOC member input!!!

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Philiagorillia, Mar 23, 2008.

1. Philiagorillia

Philiagorillia New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Ok guys and gals, im sick of seeing so much crap on bass fishing and other types of gamefish. I have decided to try and write a book/guide strictly for catfishing only. It will cover everything from the basics to advance techniques, baits, rods&reels, lines, terminal tackle, descriptions of different species of catfish, fishing rivers and lakes, and different fishing methods etc...

I'd like to ask the boc members to toss in information and things you'd like to see in this book/guide. This project will take quite some time to finish, but i'd like to put something together for the catfisherman in mind. And this will not be for publication or profit. I just simply like to write and would really like to put something like this together for us all to enjoy.

Any input is welcome, feel free to pm me if you have any questions!

2. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    This project will be included in our library and will be a great reference tool for new members that are also new to catfishing. All input will be beneficial to our great community. Thanks Everyone.

3. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    Great idea will give it some thought

4. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    I hate to burst your bubble but, BOC has written the book on catfishing.
    You can search this site and find anything needed in catfishing. All the input you need, is here, has been posted and the library

But like whistler said, anything added to the libary is good ifno.

If you read the site, you will be the best fisherman from a worm on cane pole in a creek for home cooking to the big boys CPR on any lake and river.

But, I will say, dont leave out pollution in your book . The biggest down fall in any fishing.

5. Jerry60k

Jerry60k Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    The first thing that should go into any outdoors book of any sort should be the Scouts Outdoor Law in bold type.

As and American I will do my best to -
    • Be clean in my outdoor manners
    • Be careful with fire
    • Be considerate in the outdoors, and
    • Be conservation minded.
    Also the Leave No Trace Policy

Leave No Trace Frontcountry Guidelines
    1. Plan ahead
    2. Stick to trails
    3. Manage your pet
    4. Leave what you find (if its a natural wonder that you find intriguing maybe others will to)
    5. Respect other visitors
    6. Trash your trash (Along with any trash from previous users)

6. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Like the previous post, clean up and don't leave trash around. Share your knowledge, be a good neighbor/sportsman to those nearby, just my 2 cents

7. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    well i agree on polution.

you have your work cut out for you. it will be a long haul to write a complete dictonary on catfishing.

here is a short article on channel fishing i wrote with the basics for beginners. your free to use its info.

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70477

8. seacatfish

seacatfish New Member

State:
    Florida
    Hope you will include a chapter or three on salt water catfish. Watch for an article from cats4uandme after he creates some recipes and reports on them. Also check out the threads in Salt Water Fishing, where we are shattering some of the myths about salt water catfish.

Thanks, Dan

9. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I appreciate your gumption but you might want to go to the library (local) and check out Keith Suttons book or any of the In-Fisherman series.As somebody mentioned, Dano I think, if you cant find it here you cant find it.WHat would be a worthwhile effort is to catalog everything in some sort of order.I have to laugh every time I see a post that says;"Has anybody tried Gopher guts for Blues"?The answer is yes but if baits were a subtitle then they could be found easily.Good luck!:big_smile:

10. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    cant wait brother. im gonna do a good article with a test subject that has no idea wich fish hes eating. the gafstop, hardhead or local channels. hes gonna get it hot from grease, from the oven and from the skillet. thats right. fried baked and just simmered on hot pan with some lemon juice and seasoning. im gonna post it in saltwater and submit it to library.