Wright Patman Report

Discussion in 'TEXAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by outoftheboat, Mar 29, 2019.

1. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Good day Kelley!!:smile1:

outoftheboat likes this.
  2. outoftheboat

outoftheboat Active Member

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Kelley
    I was finally able to fish again. Day stated off trying to catch bait…ended up with 2 doz small gizzard shad. Was glad I brought some frozen. Went to turn on the fish finder on and nothing happened. It runs off its own battery. After unplugging power, checking fuses, still nothing. It had a bad battery. We unhooked one of the trolling motor batteries and used it. Thankfully, the wind blew like crazy yesterday. Ended up catching 16 with the big one at 11. Have new battery and we are ready to go again, whenever that might be.

Brackish*Water, ramon06 and Herbhome like this.

3. outoftheboat

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Kelley
    Fished again yesterday and only caught 7. Big fish around 8lbs. It was easy catching bait but tough catching fish. Wind was out of the East. Thankfully, no boat problems this week. Will try again.

ramon06 and Brackish*Water like this.
  4. RayJ

RayJ New Member

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Ray Johnson
    I lived Texarkana most of my life and have been fishing or hunting Wright Patman(I still call if Lake Texarkana ) most of my life off and on. i duck hunt, deer hunt, bass fish, catfish (years ago) but I never drift fished it. I would like to hear more about that.Are you drifting in front of the dam, Bells Island, duck isiands? Also, do you ever fish for flatheads? I have done most of my recent catfishing below the spillway on Sulphur from the bank. I’ve also used my boat and anchored close to gates as possible. I was catching very nice blues and channels down there and two flatheads. Now, I wanting to target on big fish. Flatheads mainly but Big Blues are good. Any suggestions you might have would be greatly appreciated.thanks

outoftheboat likes this.
  5. outoftheboat

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Kelley
    I can remember growing up calling it Lake Texarkana also. I mainly drift around Bell’s and the area in front of dam from ramp 1-3.
    I have also drifted the “trees” out from Kelly Creek but that gets aggravating from all the trot lines. I put in at Kelly Creek. I usually drift with 6 rods but can make 8 work drifting with a Santee Rig. I only fish for fun and never keep the big fish. Occasionally, I will keep some small channels if someone wants to clean them. I have not caught a flathead in two years of drifting. Guess I would have better luck with live bait. Had a blast last June and July catching sandbass at the spillway and saw some pretty big blues being caught while fishing. Looks like next week is calling for rain all week so not for sure about fishing next week.

RayJ likes this.
  6. RayJ

RayJ New Member

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Ray Johnson
    Thanks for info. I’m furloughed from work right now so I’ve been fishing quite a bit. I thought about fishing Red River for flatheads next week.
    Do you think I could catch a big blue drift fishing? I have a freezer full of fish and only want big fish right now. I was specifically wanting a big App but a big Blue would be nice too. I’ve caught a few good ones below the spillway the past few weeks , up to 25 lbs, and I can always fish there but I have a boat and am looking for other options. Thanks

outoftheboat and Brackish*Water like this.
  7. Thunder head

Thunder head Well-Known Member

State:
    Georgia
    Name:
    Steven
    Ray,
    People catch big fish drifting sometimes.
    As a rule of thumb if you want to target big fish. You will have more success anchoring down.

outoftheboat and RayJ like this.
  8. outoftheboat

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Kelley
    It seems on Patman. the bigger fish like to bite when it is colder. I have seen pictures of some big flatheads lately, but they were caught on trotline or jugs. If it was me, I would almost stick to the Spillway. Probably a better chance of getting a big fish. You could also try drifting the lake if wanted to do something different. Not for sure about your boat, but you MUST have rod holders! I would try the Spillway, but don't have any long surf rods to be able to get the fish out of the rocks. I love watching people fish for them at the spillway. I almost went a bought a long rod to give it a try.

9. RayJ

RayJ New Member

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Ray Johnson
    I don’t have long rods like many do. I have a 7’6” and a 7’. I can’t cast as far as some do but when fishing from the bank, I still do ok. I caught a 25lb blue last month and several 8-12 lbs. I also caught a 10 and 21 lb Flatheads. I fish from the bank and also anchor out in my boat below the spillway but I seem to do better from the bank. It is usually covered up with people though and just wanted to try something different. I especially want to target a big flathead. I might try Red River next week.