Wrapping guides on fishing rods?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by kscathunter, Aug 11, 2009.

1. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    how tight do the wraps on the eyes need to be? ive been praticeing and needed to know. i did a double foot eye and it dont move mutch if any and i did some single foots and of course they are gonna be easyer to move. basically i needed to know if they needed to be tight enough that they dont move before the finish is applied?:confused2: also should you put finish on the underwrap before placeing the eye and overwrap.:confused2:

2. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Tight is good as long as you don't strech your thread and weaken it.I'm doing over-wraps on a rod now and they will now move after the CP is applied and cured. and even before the CP the guides were not easily moved without a good push. I like some pressure on the threads as well as some of the best rod builders in the world. I'd say clearcoat them if they are inline.You'll be fine.:wink:

You can put CP on the under-wrap before the over-wrap and then again with the CP overall, to remove all air from the thread and it helps in the finish look smoother and clean as well. Then FlexCoat a couple times. and your good to go bro. IMHO.:wink:

Last edited: Aug 11, 2009

3. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    I hardly understood a word you just said, but it sure sounds difficult.:big_smile:

4. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Sorry

5. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Heres a pic of one with 2coats cp on the underwrap and 2 thin coats on the complete guides wrap overall. Nice and tight smooth no air to be released into finish when applied.:wink:

Attached Files:

6. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    cool, you even answered my question about the importance of color protecter i was gonna ask, before i asked. i was gonna ask if it was nessary, it sounds like it.

just wanted to get a better idea of how tight to wrap because i read too tight can cause a rod to break. and too loose and id immagine the eyes would wonder around, witch is why im redoing one rod.

7. Cherokee Rod Man

Cherokee Rod Man New Member

State:
    Eufaula La
    Kenny; What brand cp do you run? I've had good/bad experiences with the water based stuff.:eek:oooh: I'm thinking of trying that ChromaSeal, but the absolute best I've tried was the Clemens formula, is it available?

8. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    alright im slowly learning alot some from trial and error alot from reading. so i should stay away from anything waterbased. what about thred selection what can and cant i use. i bought some whatever brand 100% nylon thred walmart has to practice and or use figured nylon was nylon i also got their silver metalic verry thin and crappy it is only 60%nylon 40%polyester. so basically do i only use nylon and will nylon craft string work or do i need rod thread. it be nice if i could just go to the craft store and pick some up instead of having to order it.

9. Cherokee Rod Man

Cherokee Rod Man New Member

State:
    Eufaula La
    Brandon; Your doin fine, I use some of the metallic from Wally at times and it works fine for trim bands. Most nylons will work for wrapping, even Rayon will work, But beware of the upolstery threads!!! most of these are coated and the finish will run all over it! I learned this the hard way and had to strip a surf rod and start over.:angry: I'm overstocked on Gudebrod blue thread a friend gave me, if you'd like I can send you some of this? I think I have size A-C-D & E in this.:wink:

10. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    sooo wallys nylon may or may not work :sad2: upholstery, was that with cp that it wouldnt stick to:confused2: verry generous offer there i may have to take you up on that:wink::cool2: now if i could con you out of some cp and finish id be set:smile2:LOL:cool2: maybe some different colors too:confused2: JK! I HAVE PAYPAL we may have to do some wheeling and dealing. thanks mutch

11. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    I know a rodbuilder that uses ulpostery thread with noo problems..pretty much all he uses.

And I use FLEXCOAT(WATER BASED) Acriylic CP and I have never had one thing go wrong. Soaks into the threads nicly. I put 2 coats on the underwrap and 2 more over everything after I get the over wraps complete. apply finish after curing 2-3 coats if need be, Let set for a week or so before useing..

SOLID AS A ROCK.( paraphrazing ):cool2:,,They will serve you well for years to come..:wink:

12. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    thanks kenny good to have different points of view everyones different so it only makes sence that what works for one may or may not work for another. got picks of my first attempt at a diamond that i will start a new thread for. pretty excited.