WOW!

Discussion in 'LOCAL MICHIGAN TALK' started by ROYDOG, Jun 9, 2008.

1. ROYDOG

ROYDOG New Member

State:
    Charlotte, Mich
    Well brothers, I just got back from a little trip of scouting and water level.... everywhere i went in southern michigan is overflowing the banks somthin' fierce.....I hate to say that it may be a week or so before it will be any good...or maybe I am wrong. I am very new at this. I guess this would be a good time to learn something........Is this the case with the water level this high?...thanks

2. uapipefitter

uapipefitter New Member

State:
    potterville,mi
    Hey Roy, one of my best cattin' days came from a day I should have stayed home. I was fourteen (now 33) me and a buddy went to our favorite spot in Grand Ledge and when we got there it was flooded. Where I fish there is a steep bank with about twenty feet of shoreline and when we arrived there was no shoreline, just bank. We actually cut a trail into the bank and scaled out to a little ledge and fished off it. The water was chocolate milk colored and fast. We saw actual trees floating by. On this day in a matter of three hours we caught twenty two channel cats all on night crawlers. We took them to the grain elevator where my buddies grandpa worked and weighed them in our fish basket. Holy smokes thirty three pounds of fish. Now they weren't big fish but to a fouteen year old thats a big deal especially in front of my buddies grandpa , who was the fishin' god himself. We kept casting in the same spot, with alot of weight to get our baits down, those cats most have been stacked up there like cord wood. One after another from 9 a.m. till noon and the only reason we quit was because we started getting afraid the bank was going to collapse in. Not the brightest thing I've done but it was alot of fun.

3. ROYDOG

ROYDOG New Member

State:
    Charlotte, Mich
    pipefitter you really are a HUGE asset to this site....for real....i would like to thank you again for your knowledge.......you and i have got to hook up and tear up the cats one night......let me learn some more here......what are "circle" hooks and what is a good bait for grand ledge?...below the dam i presume?
    and finally do you usually fish on bottum?.......sorry so many ?'s but i am absolutely torn up to get fishin....i use to fish in indiania on the ohio river, but i was very young and can remember some really big cat's..thanks again brother

4. uapipefitter

uapipefitter New Member

State:
    potterville,mi
    Hey, Roy think'n about going tomorrow night at Lake Alliance. Like you said the rivers are swollen over their banks and my spot is problably under water. Yea, the dam is my spot, I love to fish it but when I was young they said you couldn't eat anything out there for fifty years for some barrels they found under the dam or something like that so it has always worried me. But I always go there when I want to hear my drag scream for mercy and I'm deprest I haven't caught any eaters at my other spots. I love to eat the small ones (under about 5#) and I try to go where if I catch some I can keep them to eat and don't feel like I can do that there. If you want to go tomorrow give me a call in the afternoon sometime. I'll probably go early afternoon to catch bait for the evening hunt there than thinking around nine of the evening.6452431 trent

5. Doneinne

Doneinne New Member

State:
    Fremont, Nebras
    Circle hooks have the point of the hook turned back in towards the shaft. It doesn't hook until the eye of the hook is pulled out of the fishes mouth. The hook then rotates and the point sinks in. They are usually hooked in the corner of the mouth.
    [​IMG]

As for bait try fresh cut fish (chubs, suckers, bluegills, etc.) or fresh RAW shrimp. Do Not bury the point and barb of the circle hook.

6. ittybittykitty

ittybittykitty New Member

State:
    Belleville Michigan
    One more point on circle hooks. DO NOT "set" the hook. Put steady pressure on the line and the fish sets it himself. Losing the "hit 'em" reflex is the hardest part of using circle hooks, but once you do the're great.

7. ROYDOG

ROYDOG New Member

State:
    Charlotte, Mich
    hey pipefitter, i have been without power for 4 days and the generator could only do some much.....i would have been there brother....think of me next......i am on here daily now.....thanks again!!!!!

8. uapipefitter

uapipefitter New Member

State:
    potterville,mi
    Anytime Roy. Maybe next week we can hit my spot up in GL on the Grand. Well see, I PMed you back, thanks for the number. Well try and make it work.

9. michiganwhitetailRLM

michiganwhitetailRLM New Member

State:
    MI
    Hey roydog! I myself have had better fishing with high water levels. It gives the fish more places to hang out and causes underwater structure to change a bit. If I was you I would take full advantage of it, I know I have been. The deeper water seems to bring out the biggins if you know what I'm sayin! I'm a catfishin fool and choose to fish them over any other fish brother. Hope to get you on board for the local michigan get together I'm tryin to organize.....Rick.