Wow, what a load of manure

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by ponykilr, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    This sounds like a sweet deal for a select few.

2. Bream baiter

Bream baiter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    That idea is so bad that you would think that it came from the Asheville city council or maybe the Buncombe county government.

3. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I hate to say it...but it seems to work that way from coast the coast in this state. I've never seen so many watersheds, water fowl lowlands, "protected" forests get cleared for housing since I moved here. I would say that I don't know how they get away with it...but the guys building in these places are driving the same cars as the politicians...coincidence???

4. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    The idea of selling off land to help fund the act has been described in some corners as selling your house to pay off your credit cards, and that’s about right. It’s one-time money to fund an ongoing program, a method that can’t be repeated forever.

That about says it all from the article itself. The currect govt just doesnt care about anything other than lining their own pockets and their friends pockets. Whats really sad is whoever buys one of these tracts will probably be able to sell the timber and pay off the land and make a profit. GRRRR:mad:

5. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    It's not a bad idea in some places. Take for instance Hyde county. like some other eastern NC counties it is a blighted county because the federal government owns so much of the land.
    The feds dont pay property taxes. Take off and ride to Hyde county one day. It's either forest, lakes, wildlife refuge or national seashore.
    I imagine it is still the poorest county in the state and the feds are trying to take more for that stupid OLF strip. 30,000 more acres for a simple airstrip for super hornets to practice carrier landings. It will supply absolutely no jobs or revenue for the county. The jets will fly back and forth out of Virginia.

The feds have even tried to screw with the enviromental impact testing such as to do their low level test flights when the Tundra swan and other ducks are not in the area. They have also tried to cover up several near misses with ducks.
    This strip is right smack dab in the middle of the eastern flyway. Real real stupid if you have ever spent any time at all in the area. I've throttled my boat up on lake Mattamuskeet in the morning and ducks literally blacked out the sky getting up off the water.

I think there is alot of land in some places that probally needs to go back to private ownership.
    A national wildlife refuge in Hyde County isnt drawing any tourists. It's well off the beaten path, not a Walmart within a 1 and a half hour drive and there dang sure aint but a few ancient cinder block 10 room hotels in the county with just enough amenities for a duck , deer, or bear hunter.
    I'm still trying to figure out what they are exactly refuging there.
    They have deer, ducks, and black bear out the ying yang all over the place and now they want to put a super hornet strip right next to it.
    The folks in Virginia wont tolerate the super hornet noise so we have another NC county dumped on.

I guess the flopped airpark in eastern NC that already has runways installed isnt good enough for super hornet practice?

6. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Here in Onlsow Co., at the rate that Jacksonville is spreading, it'll be Jacksonvilel Co. in a couple years. Or at least housing for Jacksonville. And try to find more than one public water access on a body of water...Once you do, motor anywhere and dodge all the private docks. Or walk down the beach and have one of these retirees think that they own the beach and you can't walk in front of their house...now that's a load! I'm waiting for the storm that turns Emerald Isle and Topsail areas back into the houseless areas of beauty that they should be. But hey, if someone can turn a buck...what's it matter on the natural state of things...keep building out while the core dies instead of building up the core and using the land already being used to best of its potential.

7. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    It just seems to go hand in hand with the eminant domain ruling of the supreme court recently.

You now own no property that any town, city, state, or federal govenment wants for it's tax benefit.

So why did we ever have the American Revolution? England could've done the same thing, and we wouldn't have had to learn all that history.

8. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Those ignorant retirees are fun to deal with.
    All you have to do is ask do you want me to call the police or do you want to?
    Impeding my right to fish a public beach is a crime.
    On a sound or river. He dont own a thing below the high water mark including the ground his pier posts are sunk into.
    Wrightsville beach is where the worst offending nimrods are.
    Its good comedy between bites.

Answer this . For what purpose does all the federally owned land in NC serve?
    They log it just like I or anyone else would do. Alot of it is nothing more then tree farms. The same farms champion paper would get blasted for owning.
    Now I realize they do own alot of swamp land that has probally never had a deed of any sort ever filed on it in history.

Military bases arent a problem until they close. Those federal lands provide economy. The tax deficit is more then overcome through the economic impact it would provide a community.

Hyde county will never develope even if the feds put everything back in private ownership but it will increase the tax base bringing their residents into the 21st century. In this case the federal government is a blight on the community and is the cause for alot of welfare recipients.

9. ponykilr

ponykilr New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    we are not talking swamp or other areas not used, but uwharrie and pisgah forests. places i spend many hours trapsing through. it's the last places left in the state i can show my daughter true wild country.

i agree that there are places that could be sold and used better, this just isnt one of them.