wow thanks for the welcome

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARIZONA TALK' started by azfisher, Nov 14, 2007.

1. azfisher

azfisher New Member

State:
    arizona
    so you said to ask so here it is. i caught my first and only (so far) flat head at bartlet up where the river comes in at the no wake buoys. the lake was about 75% percent full . it was 12:30pm. the fish took a 3-4 " gill on the bottom. Since then haven't had much luck with flatties . i've changed game plans several times since then . now i'm trying late night float presentations . gear wise it's very hard switch chinook gear to flatie gear. so what i'm wondering is float fishing gills or fishing bottom has been more productive for you. i been killin channels but can't buy an other flatie for the life of me. any food for my thought.

2. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    keep in mind now, most post on here are from back east where the flatheads are a lot more abundant than out here. certain times of the yr, i can get 2-3 a week for a month or so, then (like now) nothing for weeks or even month or longer at times. my friend EricF likes to drift river for them. i like to anchor at mouth of inlets.
    a old man taught me how to flathead fish. his words went like this. "flatheads hunt for food usually by themselves. may travel 100yds, may travel mile or two. they like to cruise shoreline of river and look for bait fish. go in and out of inlet to back lakes to ambush bait fish. don't cast to deep holes at night. fish the tops, and shallows." i've followed that advise ever since and caught many from blythe to yuma.
    also stated that at times they will pack up to feed or in winter time, but is unusual.
    gary

3. SilencedMajority

SilencedMajority New Member

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    It sounds to me that you were doing the right thing when you caught that fish! Flathead fishing in AZ seems to be a bit hit and miss. I almost only fish on bottom with live sunfish when going for flatheads, although in the past I have experimented with using a balloon float slip rig. I don't use it alot because I like to fish with the bait clicker ready to alert me to a run on my bait. Keep trying and you will have success. Try everything.

Welcome to the BOC!

4. azfisher

azfisher New Member

State:
    arizona
    that makes sense. if don't mind me asking what is your terminal rigging for anchoring up like that? also is there change in feeding habits and timing due to water level and or season?

5. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    Josh, i'm still learning down here. i've fished here for yrs, but live in ca and was coming down to canals and river only several times a yr. only lived in yuma a yr now. still learning. my main rig is bottem. used a sliding sinker. smallest i can get away with. then maybe 20" leader, (usually same lb line) with a size 6-10 circle hook. using both a 7ft ugly stick and a all star 7'6" poles with ambassadeur 7000 reels loaded with BPS brand 40lb line. would use power pro line otherwise. toss out, put clicker on, open beer, and sit back and wait. sometimes even turn radio on real low.
    spring and summer i have best luck. also, when river is running strong. right now, it's running slow as farmers aren't irrigating so don't need water down this low. :angry:
    never really fished the lakes for the flatties though. hope someone will jump in and help you there.
    gary
    oh, like a gill about 4-8 inches if i can get, but caught them on smaller. just figure bigger bait, bigger fish.

6. topjimmy

topjimmy New Member

State:
    AZ
    Fish the bottom. Flatheads troll the shallows at night to feed. I have caught big fish in a few feet of water, sometimes a few feet off shore.

Look for the baitfish and cover. Wherever you find the cover, and carp and bluegills, you will find the flats.

Transition areas are, in my opinion, the best place to fish. A shallow area right off a deep hole, or off a sandbar that drops off on both sides.

Flatheads are territorial. There may only be a few around wherever you decide to fish. Sometimes, they just don't find your bait. Fishing in AZ is tough; our fish are just not that abundant.

Like I always tell my boy, fishing is a game of patience. Sometimes you have to be REALLY patient. (unless you are Andy, he seems to find huge fish WHEREVER he goes; someone needs to follow him around for a few weeks :wink:)

Crack a cold one, look at the stars, keep your lines out there and eventually you will have success.

Good luck!