WOW!!! carp everywhere!

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by drpepper, Jul 29, 2009.

1. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Me-N- gdog went out last night Fishin' with some medium sized greenies, and fished right smack dab in snag town. gdog managed a small male that appears to have been fresh off the nest- shortly after that, ol gdog hooked into a monster that pulled back hard enough to make him stagger.... his rod was cranked and that bad boy promply wrapped him around a log so tight there was no hope getting it out. We even reeled 'em all in and drifted directly over top of him trying to untangle the beast, but it was futile. That kinda stuff causes ya to lose sleep.
    My 80 pound braid broked like soggy thread on a hookset-evidently had a bad spot, which makes me afraid of the whole spool now. I did macked a softshell though lol.
    Anyway,,, back to the title... on our way back, is a shallow flat. I couldnt get over the number of carp I seen with the spot light... never seen so many in my life... all sizes. I can't help but think this might be a flathead feeding ground. That particular carp infested area is fairly featureless and SHALLOW (1.5- 2') with the exception of a root ball or log dotted here and there, and some riprap piles near small 5-6' pot holes before you get to the head of a larger snag infested hole. I can hardly wait to go back there.... gonna try to talk Greg into setting up around this flat and one of the riprap holes.... I'd sure like to fish with some small carp here- but that's illegal!:wink:
    gdogs pic is below.... Look like a post spawn flattie to you?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 29, 2009
  2. jmanion8

jmanion8 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Yep, he looks beat up and coming out of the spawn, thank God! Sounds like quite the little honey hole with all those carp, probably prime feeding grounds.

3. skippi2use

skippi2use New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Bill is it illigal to use live carp?

4. skippi2use

skippi2use New Member

State:
    Indiana
    found the answer. I had thought u couldnt use them in lakes. i was wrong. keep them alive till you cut them though!

5. perrycounty.in

perrycounty.in New Member

State:
    Indiana
  6. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Fullstringer & I saw a ton of carp the other night in the shallows too.

7. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Matt think about what a one pound struggling-bleeding carp will attract!
    gee it's too bad I gotta cut one up... I wouldnt dare think about puttin' a live one on a hook....:big_smile:

8. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    SUUUUUURE Bill!!!!! I wouldnt dare catch a bluegill in castnet either!!:smile2:

9. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    No doult about it you were in a really good hole an enjoying every minute of it.

10. fullstringer

fullstringer Member

State:
    Indiana
    Sounds like a pretty eventful night. Thanks for the post, I think will have to try out the carp.

11. liplifter

liplifter New Member

State:
    indiana
    I have 2 bowfishin' rigs,6 pack,spotlight and some fiberglass-wooooo-hoooo

12. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    whats the fiberglass for?

13. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have a place where I can get small carp 6-12 inches for bait...I have never had any luck on carp, live or cut.

I am glad to see the spawn may be nearing it's end...It has been a long one.

14. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Congrats on the catch! I'd been in the water getting that big 'un unsnagged!!!! :wink:

15. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    It sure has... I got a few decent females in the last week. two of which I never mentioned here cause I had no pics, but were 18 and 21lbs, and the one I caught fishin' with gdog that I posted was 26 or 27 lbs -I can't remember which.

I have, the few times I've been able to get them small enough.... getting my paws on some 12 inchers would be awesome.

16. indycatman

indycatman New Member

State:
    Greenwood, Indi
    congrats on the flatties :smile2::smile2: to bad we cannot use live carp either that is a good honey hole for flatties

17. liplifter

liplifter New Member

State:
    indiana
    Bow fishing arrows are fiberglass as well as the old bows we use.

18. skippi2use

skippi2use New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Whata you want 6-12 inchers for, i thought you where fishin for a state record? Thats just big enough for the babies.lol I love carp alive and dead, of course cant use them alive in indiana!!!! Good thing I have a Kentucky licence.

19. gdog bigcat

gdog bigcat Member

State:
    Indiana
    I'll be ready to try this, Dr Pepper! Where this is bait, there should always be something around to eat it.:tounge_out:

20. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    we tried Rodger... I was in up to my shoulders only thing left was going in after it, and I forgot my scuba gear dammit! lol