Would you try this??

Discussion in 'Boat Safety' started by KansasKatter, Sep 1, 2006.

1. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I am going to camp at Toronto Res. this Labor Day weekend. I will be pulling my 31' travel trailer about 90 miles. Here is my question. Would you advise pulling a small utility (about 8') trailer with a small (10') Bass Buggy 2 man boat on it, behind the travel trailer? Tounge weight is about 50lbs, and total weight is probably about 300 lbs.

I don't see a problem with it, but wanted to know if anyone has ever tried it?

Thanks guys!

2. GoFish_Tony

GoFish_Tony New Member

State:
    Big Rock, IL
    If I understand this right, you want to pull a trailer, and behind that trailer pull another trailer with a boat on it.

Two things come to mind:
    First off. Check to see if that is even legal. I don't believe it is here in Illinois, but things may be different in Kansas.

Second. I think that you are going to have a huge whip effect at the end of that rig. You got 40+ feet and it's double jointed. I really would be concerned with that thing getting away from you. It IS possible that it could get into an oscillation that would get increasingly worse. Man that would be real bad.

Third. How many turns are you going to have to make. I'm thinking you would have to REALLY swing that thing out in oncoming lanes to make a 90 degree turn.

My last concern would be brakes. That's asking an awful lot out of your brakes of your pulling vehicle. Does your trailer have trailer brakes? If so maybe this isn't a big deal.

I'll be curious to hear what others have to say on this. Personally I have never done this so I can't speak from experience.

Tony
    _

3. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Thanks Tony, the TT does have brakes, I don't think stopping will be a problem. The trailer with a boat on it is only about 10' long, tounge and all, and only weighs 300#, boat and all. My feeling is I don't even think I would know it was back there, but then again...........

It is legal in Kansas as long as you are under 65', which I would be by 18", and most of the driving will be on interstate, with plenty of turning room. The small trailer is very narrow, so I don't think I would have to turn any wider than normal with the large trailer.

I see the "big boys" all the time with their 35' Fifth Wheels and 18' Bass Boats or Pontoon boats flying down the highway. I would think pulling a 10' 300 lb load behind my TT would be pretty safe.........The travel trailer is about 5000 lbs fully loaded, I doubt I would even know the little trailer was back there?:roll_eyes:

4. ike whitson

ike whitson New Member

State:
    ariz/northwest
    Jeff, I've hauled TT'S, 5TH WHEELS, AND, BOAT'S,and what I have learned is that the 5th wheel & a tag along(boat,TT)trailer are not bad to tow, and are legal in alot of states.Two tag alongs coupled together is very dangerous, and, is illegal in most, if not all states. Hope this help's.As the old saying goes KEEP THE SHINY SIDE UP, THE GREASY SIDE DOWN,YOUR NOSE BETWEEN THE DITCHES, AND THE BEARS OUT OF YOUR BRITCHES!!!! Good Luck In ALL your endeaver's.

5. ike whitson

ike whitson New Member

State:
    ariz/northwest
    Jeff, I forgot to add one more little thing DON'T EVEN TRY AND BACK THE RIG UP IT ISN'T A PRETTY THING TO DO NO MATTER HOW IT'S RIGGED.

6. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Thanks Ike, I wonder what the difference is between the two, besides the obviouse hitch placement. I talked to the highway patrol, and they said it is legal as long as I have antisway on the front trailer, which I do.

I may just hook it up, go up and down our road a few times, with my brother behind me telling me what is going on back there.

7. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Now this sounds like the smart thing to do.I would make sure that I got up to the maximum speed that I would be pulling and make sure everything is loaded as it will be when traveling.peewee-williams

8. Cattracker16

Cattracker16 New Member

State:
    Wilton Iowa
    I'm with pee wee on this one he's got it all right. sounds like you have it all handled. Enjoy the fishing and camping

9. gater460

gater460 New Member

State:
    eldon,mo
    i think id put a broom handel or something across the back of the rear trailer with flags on each end so you can see it in the mirrors.

10. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I know a guy that pulls 2 jon boats back to back all the time. When he gets to the water he drops one and hooks to the other one...but he only goes about 20 miles.

11. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    I've seen it done around here, but they also use the antisway bars

12. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    iv only pulled 2 trailers once in my life so i have limited experience
    it was two grain wagons
    i can say that if i got over 35 or so those thisgs would start to sway too much for comfort
    but that was also 2 big OLD wagons with longue tongues and much bigger and more akward than the bass boat
    best bet is to do the test like you said :)
    hope it works

13. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Myself I would not want to pull two trailers on ball hitches, a 5th wheel has a lot more stability.

14. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I don't know cause I have barely ever even drove.

But i hope the car you are using has some power to it! What are you towing it with?

Good Luck

15. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    In many states it is legal and you should have no problem. Just forget it is back there. 90 miles no problem. Just remember no backing up.

16. BullDaddy

BullDaddy New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La.
    One of my buddies hooks up a 30' gooseneck travel trailer and a 19' Express bass boat just about every weekend. I plan on doing the same as soon as I buy a new TT. He told me he had no problem with the tow except for backing up (you kinda have to do opposite of opposite if that makes sense). He unhooks the boat, sets up the TT, hooks up the boat, and launches. You will have to be careful while making turns thru a busy campground and watch your swing.

17. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    You should have no problems. Like said above wide turns and backing up is tricky.
    Bill

18. thomcat

thomcat New Member

State:
    pennsylvania 17745
    while i was driving tractor trailer i seen a couple people with multiple things in tow. alot of states its illegal, but i do believe i was out west (mountain time zone) , definatly check it out with your local police, also call canada's tourist info