Would you trust a 14' Flat Bottom?

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by kycatman01, May 16, 2009.

1. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Just wondering, Would you guys trust a 14' boat if you had a 40+ lb cat on your line? I just got one ready to hit the water. Should I trust it? I will have another guy to offset the weight of the fish, most of the time.

2. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    My first question would be how wide is the bottom. I would like no less than 48". If it is that I would say no problem. I just like a more stable boat. I have boated many fish on the Mo river in my old boat which was 16 ft with a 48 inch bottom. The Mo river has a current that averages about 3.5 mph. Just be carefull no matter how big the boat. When you get a big cat on things can get exciting real quick no matter how big the boat. Good luck brother.

Tom

3. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I agree with Tom. I have a 1436 thats rated for a 6 H.P. that can be a little
    unstable at times. I use this boat for ponds and floating little rivers fishing
    and squirrel hunting using a trolling motor. I have a 1648 thats rated for a
    40 h.p. and you can stand on the sides of it. Jon boats are not created equal.
    The lighter boats have their place when you have to carry them to the water
    and put them in to pick-up trucks.

4. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I don't see how the size of your boat and the size of your fish would matter unless you were planning on shark fishing. Or on big swift waters. 90% of the time I fish on a medium sized river out of my skinny little 10 footer.... Anchors are what matters to me when fighting the monter cats.
    Now... standing up to pee- THATS the real challange:wink:

5. o'boro cat hunter

o'boro cat hunter New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Had a 1448 Lowe with a 14h/p Johnson on the Ohio River all year last year,caught 3 in the 40's and 1 that went 65 never had a problem.Always pay attention to water levels,weather condition and other boats.You'll be fine,saftey first and good luck.

6. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    o 'boro cat hunter said it just right

A friend of mine nearly swamped a a 17' bass boat on Cave Run once in bad weather. Thought sure she was going down.

7. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    I'm with everyone else, 48 wide at the least. I got a 53 inch blue in my 16 ft jon on the missouri river. something i might ad is, do you have sea legs? Some people "rock the boat" more than others, I would sure try it on calm lakes first, but, just be safe and use your head, wear your PFD and you should be able to land a 40+, good luck.

8. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Thanks alot for your imput, guys! I am going to try smaller lakes 1st and see what happens. Be safe and thanks!!

9. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    I gotta agree with this post no matter the size of the boat the excitement level picks up a notch when you hook into a big boy so be careful:wink:

10. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    That's true!! I was probably going to give it a try on the smaller parts of the Licking river and on the less traveled parts of Cave Run Lake..

11. xnmcclurex

xnmcclurex Active Member

State:
    Pittsburgh Pa
    I have one and it's not too bad, but it's unstable when lifting something heavy into the boat, so just have the other guy shit his weight, that's what me and my dad do and if it's not very wide, don't stand up!!! I've fallen out of mine before

12. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    :confused2: :smile2::smile2::smile2: :cool2:

13. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    so just have the other guy shit his weight . :eek:oooh::smile2::big_smile::confused2::wink::crazy::smile2:

That'd be one way to get rid of some weight really quick!!

14. xnmcclurex

xnmcclurex Active Member

State:
    Pittsburgh Pa
    haha shift!!! my bad:smile2::smile2::smile2:

15. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I think they knew what you meant but it was funny all the same!! :smile2: I really appreciate the imput, guys!!

16. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    The 14 ft. john boat is one of the best boats for creeks and small river I have fished out of them since I was a kid.We used them for trot lining and would bring in a 100 # of fish and a couple of people in the boat too.As far as trusting them out on the lake is a diffrent story.I almost sunk mine awhile back when the water got bad and to top it off I was using a brand new 20 horse that my dad let me use.I was not worried about me or my passenger because we had life jackets but I didn't want to call my old man and tell him that I sunk his new motor.We got it to the bank anyways and saved every thing.Just be careful out there were ever you fish and don't try to put a motor on it bigger then it can handle.

17. catfish1083

catfish1083 New Member

State:
    georgia
    i have a 14 foot jon with a 32in bottom and i have put a 35pounder in it. it was kinda stick your hand in his mouth and roll over in to the boat with it.:big_smile: and if you get on big lakes watch other boaters cause the jon boats are hard to see!

just be very careful!!!!

18. mcseal2

mcseal2 Active Member

State:
    Kansas
    I have a 1648 modified V jon boat with a 31hp, and would not go smaller than this on the Missouri River. On anything smaller, or with less current I have a 1436 with a little 3 horse that is fine. We have landed lots of nice cats up to 43lbs with 2 or three people in the little boat and haven't had any trouble. If you are by yourself, just decide which side of the boat you plan to fish from and use the weight of your gear to offset your weight and the weight of any fish you might catch. I also just sold a 1440 Lowe with a 13hp longtail mud motor, and the stability difference between the 36 and 40" bottom was huge, especially with a motor you stand up to run. The 1440 was also the widest boat that would fit between the wheel wells in a full size truck bed. Another nice trick for fishing small creeks with mud banks, I had a cheap skinning knife tied on each corner of the little boat with a short piece of rope and would stick them in the bank to anchor off. Saved alot of trouble anchoring on small waters. Good luck and enjoy!

19. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If it were me I would not be concerned with pulling up a big fish safely but I would be concerned with anchoring safely. A small boat once turned around in the water while anchored can get pulled under very quickly. I would always keep a sharp knife near your anchor line to cut in emergencies and only use one anchor if your in current. You could also get an anchor ball and if you hook in to a big one throw the anchor over go after the cat and come back for the anchor.

20. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I also had a Lowe 14 foot Jon with a 25hp motor, caught tons of fish over 25 pounds, biggest was 84. So, go for it and use common sense when in current or other dangerous conditions. Chris