would you take this walk?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Phil Washburn, Oct 31, 2005.

1. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    Grand Canyon Skywalk Scheduled to open Jan. 1, 2006 Hualapai Indian Reservation

* Juts about 70 feet into the canyon, 4000 ft above Colorado River

* Will accommodate 120 people comfortably (how comfortable would you be?)

* Built with more than a million pounds of steel beams, and includes dampeners that minimize the structure's vibration

* Designed to hold 72 million pounds, withstand an 8.0 magnitude earthquake 50 miles away, and withstand winds in excess of 100 mph

* The walkway has a glass bottom and sides...four inches thick

Attached Files:

2. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    WOW thats gotta be something with a glass floor. Don't look down :eek:

3. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Yeah I would do it, You only live once,LOL!!! Go for it!!!!

4. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    :eek: :eek: :eek: nope. i can see th bottom standing on the rocks. good thing they didn't hire me to build that. :rolleyes: delAY , DELAY, DELAY. :p

5. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    I'd craw out there maybe !

6. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Sure would Phil! Although I have to admit it looks worse than the mile high swinging bridge at Grandfather Mountain.

7. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    when i was a kid, there wasn't a tree too tall for me to climb...when i grew up some, there was nothing but work and taking care of the kids for years...nothing exciting 'cept for driving a stockcar....somewhere thru those years i became afraid of heights...don't know how that happened :crying:

when i re-married i told my wife we would go do things as long as i didn't have to fly to get there. well, the first year we went to rock city on lookout mountain in chattanooga and also rode the incline railway. i had to have a couple of glasses of wine, but i did it. :eek:

i would go back to lookout mountain, but NO WAY would i take that little walk over the colorado river :eek:

8. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    id like to put someone that was sleeping or unconsiance on it and
    set off a airhorn behind them and video the reaction.:p

as far as ME going on it after YOU first LMAO

9. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    You got a bit of a mean streak there DRC ;) I wouldnt mind seein that myself, Long as it wasnt me out there waking up :confused: I think I could probably muster up enough to take a "Very Fast" Dont Look Stroll :cool: But then again I did make them stop the ride at a cavern in Mo. to let me off, Laydown in a flatbed and enter a dark hole!!!! I dont think so!!!!!!!!!!! :crying: When I was Young I wasnt afraid of anything at all, been to the top of a Tower (sears I think) in chicago and watched a bulls game from the binos. I probably wouldnt do it again.. Traveled to different countries and rode in all kinds of military vehicles, but you couldnt get me on an airplane today!! If I aint drivin, I aint goin!!!!
    Thanks for posting that Picture Phil, That is very neat. Mac

10. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Maybe for a custom built boat I'd take that walk. LOL! And I better take a change of underwear.

11. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
    NO thanks, not my cup of tea...lol

12. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Can you fish off of it????? You would need one heck of a landing net,LOL!!!!

13. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Hey Phil. Sure would that looks like it would be fun.

Be to the top of the sears tower 3 times. Be in the Arch at st louis once. That was great.

I would imagine the view from that platform at sun down would be spectacular.

14. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Sure why not looks fun to me.

15. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    LOL!! No Way!!! I crewed and worked on Army helicopters all my adult life!! Sat on the ramp of the chinook with feet dangling out the back and all kinds of dumb stuff. But today you can't easily get me on the roof of my house!! LOL Wonder what makes us change like that?!!

16. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Dont worry, Ill hold your hand Phil.

And I promise I wont do nothing silly like jump up and down or start tapdancing in golf cleats.

That looks pretty neat. Highest Ive ever been in a glass floored room was 1300 feet up in the CN tower in toronto. Some kid was jumping up and down on it right next to me. I could have wrung his lil neck. lol

I am not afraid of heights, its coming down from em at terminal velocity and not landing alive that freaks me out.

sal

17. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    that's right sal, it isn't the fall, it's that sudden stop that gets ya :D

18. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I'd probably go out there, but you'd be coming out to get me! :eek:

19. screen

screen New Member

State:
    Sterling, Illinois
    I worked with iron workers in Chicago for a couple of years as a crain op. - they got me up a few times and once you know the teather keeps you safe it's nothing to walk the beams -

I trust the teather, I trust the workmanship, I trust what I can control

I don't trust farris wheels that underpaid goof off's put together
    I would trust this site at the GC - but it would be nice to have a teather at 5000 ft.

I wonder how many peaple they will have to pry their fingers from the railing to get back off?

20. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    Nope can't say I would. It's funny I worked on and in helicopters for 5 years and i am still scard of heights.

-brian