Would you survive?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by michiganwhitetailRLM, Jun 17, 2008.

1. michiganwhitetailRLM

michiganwhitetailRLM New Member

State:
    MI
    It's hard not to notice all the fancy technology all around us. It seems like everyone has a cell phone, mobile sattelite radio or even television in their car. They say that our kids are to dependent on vidio games and the internet, causing them to be lazy, overweight and somewhat wayward.
    I was out doing some catfishing the other night with a buddy that can't go 5 minutes without text messaging someone. I asked him what he would do if he did'nt have a cell phone, "I guess I would be on the computer more often !", he replied.
    This got me thinking about the millions of people that are dependent on things like computers, cell phones, and even television. I don't have cable or a satelite dish so television is like a thing of the past for me and my family, it has actually made time for us to spend together as a family.
    I know that most of us, if not all of us on the B.O.C. are hunters, anglers and even a great deal of farmers. We have the skills to take care of ourselves if we really wanted to but would we be able to if it really came down to it!
    I know how to build a house, hunt, fish and grow some crops. Basic survival skills must run in my blood because I enjoy being able to show folks the how to's sort of speaking.
    My grandfather lives in Mio Michigan. It is way out in the sticks and he has alot of Amish folks for neighbors. It amazes me how independent they are. Electricity, running water and motor vehicles are of no use to them.
    I'm looking for honest opinions and ideas. If you woke up and suddenly had no stores, electricity or running water, and no car, would you bo able to survive?
    This is something that could happen someday and I'm curious who would make it. Thanks for any input and above all.......honesty! Rick

2. Naack

Naack New Member

State:
    Irwin PA
    That Brings up a very intersting Point.. Alot of the kids now a days are dependent on things of this nature even my kids although they are young and most of the electronics i let them have have are for learning, i know me and my wife would not have a Problem but their are ALOT of people that would be lost without the simple things, it seems to me that as the tech grows so does our dependency for them, i remeber when i was younger we didnt have alot of money we would < me my father sister and mother > Hunt for small game alot mostly rabbit and squril , witch brought the family closer together and was a good time even know.. me and my sister did not know we were so short on money we realy needed the Game for food, it would be something to see if people had to resort to hunting for their own food in this day and age.

3. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Rick,

I know I could and my grils could also, I have tought them how to hunt, fish, clean there kill, they can even can, this was tough to me and my ex. and it was up to us to pass it down . I'm like you the TV has gotten to be nothing but killing ans nasty showes and i do not watch it , I always felt guilty watchind TV i figuered if I had time to do that I had time to be productive doing something. This world is comeing to a end sooner then we think, Ca. is a good start why and then you can go from there This is my 2's worth

4. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Yes, I could survive, but I do like my TV. I love NHRA drag racing, PBR bull riding, baseball, NASCAR, and other sports, and TV enables me to see them. Could I live without TV? Sure! Survival would be easy until the game and/or bullets ran out. :)
    BB in SC

5. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    You know I have asked myself that question. I think a lot of people would be able to make it.

I work in Afghanistan, and I see how hardy people can really be. People here live in mud huts, no electicity, no running water, ride donkeys around, camels, most of these people are poor. They make do with very little, give them a piece of goat or sheep, and they make a huge meal out of it. there are people here who are better off than others, but I know, they would be the same way. So I dont think it is a matter of could I, but how would I.

6. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    well. im currently stocking up on ammo as that day inches closer.

i burn wood in home and shop now. only i would soon run out of gas for saws and splitter. it would be a tough task getting wood. i have enough poles and tackle if taken care of and used for food sparingly. they would last my lifetime easy.

i have guns and hunting skills. i would survive. i can eat raw meat. done it. and i eat all red meat rare anyways. even venison.:wink:

i can skin and dress a deer in the wild easy. i raise my own rabbits now. and without the laws and crap i could raise chickens and a few hogs right here in town. most would starve off and not complain anyways, or be shot trying to steal my food.:smile2:

i could do it. ive always tought of myself as a surviver. theres a creek just a mile from here. bank lines. im no stranger to. dont do it much. but would if i had to. ide have to hone my skills a bit. but drying meat over a fire aint that hard. no freezor. thats a must unless ya want to kill a deer every other day for meat and watch 80&#37; spoil.:wink:

yep. it would suck for a while. but like everything. we'd adapt. some of us.

7. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    i was raised 40miles from nowhere and hunted and fished all my life
    i love to eat things most think are yucky
    like cactus i love it boiled fried bbqed
    i also dont like to waste off a deer we eat everything but the hide and hoofs
    i like deer intestine fried to a crisp and liver and heart most people dont like these things but we where taught not to waste anything
    i think it is a indian thing grandma used to make salads and show us how to pick wild onions mushrooms and lambs weed
    i am a good shot courtasy of my dad showing me how to shoot with a gun and a bow
    as far as transportation i was raised horse back and good go with or without a car if need be
    anything that moves and eats grass is food for me and i would never turn it down especially if im hungry
    mountain oysters are my favorite beef tongue tripe and many other organs have protiens that regular meat does not have and i believe i would survive

8. michiganwhitetailRLM

michiganwhitetailRLM New Member

State:
    MI
    Man! I did say something about honesty. I've got to give a man that can eat some mountain oysters, among other things, some reps!....lol! Thanks for keepin it real brudda!

9. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    I grew up in Montana, I used to hunt deer and elk to fill the freezer every year, I have a large family, 6 siblings. We heated the house with wood, I used to spend weeks at a time in the mountains, eating fresh berries and fish and of course we brought food. Could I do it, sure. Would it be tough at first, absolutely. Would I miss the Tivo, you're damn right!:wink: I don't want to do it that's for sure, but if I was forced to, what other choice would I have?

10. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    the key is cactus thats how the apache made there history run from the military without starving for years but you cannot just live off of cactus but it will keep you full and going for a while

11. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Bozeman Montana has an annual "Rocky Mountain Testical Festival", yes I earned my T-shirt!!!!!:crazy::smile2::smile2::smile2:

12. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    thats what im talking about
    :cool2::cool2::cool2::cool2::cool2::cool2::cool2::cool2:

13. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Here is an advertisement sign!!! :smile2::smile2::smile2:

[​IMG]

14. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    wish i had 5 dozen right now they are gooooood:wink:

15. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Isn't techology great? NOT. I believe it complicates life more that anything else! I was born and raised on a farm too. Learning the responsibilities at an early age helped me along the path of growing up. I didn't have those video games and internet when I was young. We created our own games to have fun. I learned to fish and hunt from my father. GOD BLESS HIM. We didn't take much for granted. Times were tough and we struggled through it. I ate what was in front of me. Can't waste the food! Nowadays kids don't realize how easy they have it. The work ethic of today's society sucks. Some people don't know what a hard days work is!! They expect the easy way out. Ask me if I can survive? Probably. :big_smile:

Oh yeah. Rocky Mountains Oysters are gooood!!:wink:
    Thanks..
    Mark..

16. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    As long as I got access to woods and water I 'm pretty sure I would be fine. The wife on the other hand was raised a vegetarian. She would have to adapt. Never been a problem just more meat for me!

17. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    Hunter gatherer/gardner/carpenter/fabricator/coon dog breeder/squirell dog breeder/ fisherman is where i fit in this mix. my moto is Ready and Abel.i would have a gun or 2 and some ammo to trade for a good saddle mule if it comes down to it.

18. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I believe wife and I could.

Would have to return to living like I did the first 14 years of my life. But back then we did have an old tractor and an old car. Had running water, provided from the windmill. That was about it.
    Have a farm, so we have a place to do it if we had to. :big_smile:

Oops.... One big problem! There is some medication I must have to sustain life..... so I'd be dead pretty quick.:sad2:

19. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    i want to add something to this. i realize that if we get to that point money is going to be worthless but i got a wake up call recently. i use to carry cash only. over the past couple of years i have put my cash in the bank and relied on my debit card. a while back i walked into a micky d's for breakfast . after ordering the kid behind the counter tells me he cant take my card cause puter is down. i no longer put all my cash in the bank. can you imagine a major computer crash. all these folks who are invested and are counting on it for security would be the first to check out.

20. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    It might take a while to regain a few of my old skills ,but I could live off the land and provide for my family easily,you boys say somethin bout mountain oysters? dont have em without invitin me!!! I love em,my favorite way was hang em off a piece of barbed wire over the brandin fire till they pop open,salt and eat.,I can trap hunt and fish for meat ,and I can grow anything I need long as I got water for it.