Would you pay to fish a great river spot on private property

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by flathunter, Aug 2, 2008.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I posted this question several years ago, but I am sure many new members have not read it.

I know of a great flathead hole I used to fish, it is fishable from the bank. And I mean a great hole with huge fish...The land changed owners and the new owner told me he wanted 700 bucks a year if I wanted to fish this spot.

I know some of you would say get a boat, but that would require a long ride with many shallow riffles the boat would have to be pulled thru.

So I ask you this would you pay 700 bucks a year to fsih a killer flathead hole that was only accesble from bank fsihing?...A spot where if you put the time in you would catch many large fish .

Getting permission to fish private land in my area is next to impossible, do to slob fisherman.

2. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    700 a year. I wouldn't be able to do that. Sorry no.

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    flathunter, too many good holes where we live to pay that much. I have forgotten about what you told me before, seems that life is fairly busy up home right now and my brother has not made it down there. We will get that worked out.

4. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    sounds good but i sure couldnt afford it i do know guys that pay upwards of $2000 a season to hunt private land so i guess fishing a great spot wouldnt be out of the question for some

5. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    jack no i know of to many places where i could go to fins shovelheads and channels rick

6. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    I thought that the Government owned the banks of the river so far back. Might be wrong on that.What I was always told anyway.Answer to ? No I wouldn't pay it.Couldn't afford it to begin with plus to many other places to fish.

7. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I wouldn't pay $700.00 cash, but might trade work, garden food, barter goods, etc..

The $700.00 means the man is open to it, it is now just a negotiation. Make him feel generous, let him know you are poor but a gentleman and a sportsman. Let him see the goodness of mankind and possibly it won't cost you a dime and may earn you a friend.

8. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Yes I would pay...but not no $700.00.

Hey I've a canoe???

:wink:

9. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    I couldnt afford it but it would be nice to have the place to yourself and not to worry about fishin next to some idiot. But, if there is no limit on how often you can go, its not that expensive. I have heard of hunters paying way more for access. Peace and quiet comes with a price sometimes.

10. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    In Ohio the land owner (in most streams and rivers) owns the land under the water. Which means that a person can boat to a fishing spot but can not get out of the boat to fish. As long as they are in the boat they are in/on the water owned by the state, but if they step out of the boat they are standing on the someones elses land. Hope I made myself clear ... That also means that you can't fastened the boat to some land anchored structure. ......

And NO I wouldn't pay $700 a year to fish .......

Garry-

11. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    nope, wouldn't want to start a fad

12. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Whats the matter with you guys? Thats only a couple or so guided trips. If you went there every weekend, man' what a deal! :wink:

13. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    That seems a little high for fishing a spot but I guess it would depend on how big an area you had to fish. I know around my neck of the woods good bank fishing spots are hard to come by so I would pay to have rights to fish spot. Others have stated take a boat but I am in the same scenario no place to launch from close by and a canoe is out of the question for big flat head fishing to me, I have to have my bait tank!LOL The state does buy up property for our use but again around me no boat access and everyone of the parks is closed at dark so that won't work for a catman either. I think you are going to start seeing a lot more of the pay to fish on private land just as hunters do for prime hunting spots.

14. OhioRiverCatfisher

OhioRiverCatfisher New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Nope on $700.00 for me! I do understand though, if I had to pick up trash and stuff left behind I would want well compensated too..

15. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    If i had the money, which i don't. I would pay it in a minute. I've leased hunting ground in the past, and guided alot of duck hunters. As sad as it is, the day has come in my area you lease or do the public ground thing. It's not sayin public ground isn't sometimes good, but we all know what goes with it too.:embarassed:

16. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Paying the landowner doesn't seem unreasonable, but $700 a year seems awfully steep, unless the owner is going to provide a place to park an RV, electricity, etc. On the other hand, $700 for the exclusive right to access that section of the river, and includes the right for you to bring along guests, it might be a bargain. Have the guests kick in $10-$20 each, and you end up with a reasonable figure...maybe even free.

17. Ulikedew

Ulikedew New Member

State:
    Georgetown IN
    I would offer to take them fishing maybe after a good trip they will let you in for free.Or bribe them with a few steaks etc.

18. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    I might pay if I didn't have a boat and nowhere else to go but $700 is pretty pricey.

19. x smokin joe

x smokin joe Well-Known Member

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    Under federal law that's true, but Ohio law says that the land owner owns halfway across the river. No one has ever taken this to court to challenge the Ohio law so it is still on the books. Under our law you even need the land owners permission to drop your anchor, once it touches bottom you are trespassing. And yes I do know of 2 spots that the land owner does enforce this. It's ok to boat over the property, but they watch when they see a boat drop anchor will call a gw or sherrif. These 2 owners are like this mainly because of duck hunters.
    As for paying $700 dollars for a fishing spot, I don't think so. And if I did I would want a written contract saying I had exclusive rights, and that means no one, even the landowner, could fish there.

20. tunnafish

tunnafish New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Nope, here in Ohio you can't even WADE if the property on both sides is private! A boat's OK, though.