Would you pay money to fish private land?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by flathunter, Jan 6, 2006.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Good fishing spots in my river are hard to come by..I have lost alot of them thanks to the actions of slob fishermen..I do know of several good flathead holes, but they are on private property...Most people around here will not let you fish..Several years ago I had a farmer who told me I could drive back his road and fish the river for 700 bucks a year!..Sad thing is I would have paid it if I had the money.
    So would you pay to have access to a good flathead spot? and if so how much?

2. topjimmy

topjimmy New Member

State:
    AZ
    Only if I had relatively exclusive access (read: LOTS of elbow room, like acres).

3. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    maybe, but not 700 bucks.

i might consider a fee for a group of people for 700 but it would have to be a really good hole and i could drive right up to it.

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Ok let me ask you this..If you are looking for prime flathead water, and you find it...Walk up to the door and ask permission to fish, and they say NO..Would it be wise to offer to pay?

5. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Jack,
    Coming from England, paying to fish a piece of water is something I am very used to. Almost every foot of bank space over there is owned or leased by a fishing club or group. If you want to fish it you have to pay, either you buy what they call a day ticket or you have to join the club or group. Some of the more exclusive places cost thousands of $$ per year. When I first came over here I thought I had died and gone to heaven with the miles and miles of free access and the only thing to pay for was a fishing license. I would probably pay to fish a prime piece of water but definately not $700 a year. Would I ask the guy to reconsider his "no" in exchange for cash, again probably but only if I was going to be the only one there. The problem I see if we anglers start to pay for fishing access is that word will soon spread among those who own the land and everybody will want a piece of the action. It wouldn't be too long until there wasn't a free piece of water anywhere. I have long held a belief that the fish are where the people aren't. If every bit of water was accessible to every yeahoo the quiet inaccessible spots that fish use to hide, nest and grow would soon be compromised and fishing would suffer because of it. We, as a group, are not the best at taking care of where we fish (anyone been to C.City steam plant lately?) and to pay $$ to fish only to find trash everywhere and the place tore up would not be my idea of value for money.
    Having said all that if you could make some kind of "arrangement" with the farmer/landowner for exclusive access you might have the fishing hole of your dreams.
    One place I used to fish in England was under the deal that if the owner could ever tell I had been there then it was over. The place had to be left spotless and undisturbed (as should everywhere we fish). But there was never any $$ involved.
    It never hurts to ask and usually it doesn't hurt to ask again. a bit "nicer"!...W

6. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Not ever!! There is far too much quality free fishing water left in this country. For 700 bucks a year for a single spot I could drive a good distance and fish many spots, many times. Just my opinion.

7. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    I would put the money into a boat! They can't stop you from fishing from the middle of the river.

8. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    $700 for THAT ;) spot.... NO, but $350.... YES. (hint...hint) We need to re-talk to him.

9. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Leet see now :confused:

Good spots are hard to come by, but lots of people don't mind you fishing on there property if they see that,
    1. You just love to fish,

2. You don't bring alot of people that are to loud,

and 3. You don't trash-up there place.

You sould not have to pay them to fish it.
    :0a23:

Take It Easy,
    Bert :cool:

10. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I wouldn't...I got a boat for some of those reasons. You can anchor up in the river and fish and doesn't matter who owns the land, because no one owns the water.

11. steveg442

steveg442 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I agree with whistler, there are too many good quality FREE spots. I would not pay. I don't even go to pay lakes.

12. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    where i live in the counrty no one ever had a problem with you fishing there ponds. as long as you ask first and kept your trash up and didnt rut up the feilds most ponds where i lived havent been fished in years and years and theres alot of really nice private lakes around with good amout of bass and channels just take all your trash and what ever others have left dont rut up the feilds and be friendly. never heard of paying there is way to many places to go fish without payin you just got to look

13. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    Metalman, what that owner told you is what I've been telling people for years about my own properties. If I can't tell you've been there, I don't care.

A lot of owners have been forced to restrict access because of the bad behavior of a few. Usually the worst culprits turn out to be locals. I've had people write for permission from many states away from Mo and I have had people tell me to my face as I was running them off that as soon as I leave the property they would be right back.

While I don't charge, I believe that it's the owners right to make profit off their property any legal way they can.

14. truck

truck New Member

State:
    williamsburg ohio
    Times are a changing guys,I am buying some land so I always have a place to hunt.It looks like the all mighty dollar will tell all.Either get a boat,buy land buy the water,or lease it.It stinks but looks like the way of things to come,if you don't lease it somebody else will!!!!!

15. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    This is a difficult one for me. Would I pay, no, I wouldn't.

On the other hand, my family owns property out in western Oklahoma near Enid. There is a small private lake that is shared between 3 farms, ours being one of them. The bad behavior and trash left by one of the land owners and his friends, caused us many problems several years back with cattle, and the deer that ran the property. So, we put up tires on fence posts saying no tresspassing no huntin no fishing. All the way around the property. We also setup a huntin/fishing lease with a very nice gentleman from OKC who pays a for the lease every year, and feeds the deer. Part of what we did also, was string a very tight, 6wire, barbed wire fence across the lake on our property line. We had to do this to prevent the "neighbors" from boating onto our property. This was all checked over and approved by the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife 3 years ago when they replaced the dam of the lake. They ALSO stocked the lake, and improved our fence for us.

So you see, I'm on both sides of the issue, and I understand both sides, but as for myself, no, I won't pay to fish. Well, not more than $5.00 as some of the docks/boat ramps charge a nominal fee.

16. wpsatisfide

wpsatisfide New Member

State:
    Pawleys Island, SC
    No way id pay 700. Id try and find something I could offer him though. If you have a boat offer to take him on a trip. If you go hunting or own land maybe you could offer a trade to let him hunt your land, and for you to fish his property (I have done this and know it works).

Im with Whistler in that 700 is enough for me to drive to numerous other spots and that there is plenty of good free fishing.

17. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Jack, hey from all my trouting days, that crowd is all about private waters and comes with a stigma that trout guys are rich eletist but that definately doesnt cover all of us. Now, finding true coldwater streams in Ohio is almost as rare as finding a good flathead spot so I understand what you are talking about. I presently am involved with a 3 year lease on a small tributary to the Mad River where there are a few native non stocked trout, the water is small and as challenging as it gets, its just what we want. So I pulled 5 guys together and made up a set of rules and called the owner first, talked to him a while and then asked to speak to him in person with the agreement we would make him an offer for a lease, ( which only meant we were the exclusive folks other then his tight family and friends) and that it would be a cash deal, we met, worked out he rules which was him giving each of us a key to the gate and then offered him 500 cash ( a year) thats 100 from each of us and he always had the option to boot us off for any reason. we are now starting our 3 rd year with him, I also wrote up all 5 guys car info,home address,phone and gave it to him. We also have a brightly colored tag we put on our windshield and park pointing it to the farm house so he quickly can tell its us. Each of us are allowed to bring 1 single guest with us.

That is how we do it and I have several letters that I sent out, I could forward them to you as well I also have 1 generous landowner's name and info and they have a big gravel bar near you for launching. ( its to a Gar Hotspot) but I wouldn't mind sharing it with you.
    Ill send you a PM.

Yes, leasing water is becoming more common and if you can spare a few hundred bucks, Id do it, Now 700 is more like a full blown hunting access fee but If you were to offer him 50 or 100 bucks to only go in and fish, ( cash) Im sure he would reconsider. Remember that cash has a loud voice and be firm about the fact that its wort only 50 bucks a year to you then go maybe 100, its more then he would get if you walk away., Your in the drivers seat.

The others who mentioned the boat idea is right on but I know where Jack is talking about and it maybe 20 miles from the nearest ramp so the boat idea is not real pertinant along this river. Just takes to long to get to the good spots away from the ramps.

Salmonid

18. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    My first reaction is to say absolutely not. Then a little reality sinks in, and my brain reluctantly slips into gear. How many of us have to pay a fee to launch our boat? At many launching ramps provided by the Corps of Engineers (my tax dollars) here in Arkansas, I am required to pay a launching fee of $3.00, unless I am paying a larger fee to camp there; a year-long permit is $30.00. Camping and launching fees at privately owned facilities are generally even higher than those provided by the government. I remember when living in California, we went to a state park to launch my boat into a lake, and I had to pay a fee to enter the park, then had to pay another fee to launch my boat. So, is it fair for a landowner to charge a fee to use his land? It would seem so, but on the other hand, value received has to equal value paid. I never returned to that lake in California because I felt that it was a rip-off; if I were going to be out on the lake in a boat, I wasn't going to be using the park facilities, so I shouldn't have had to pay for them. I viewed it as having to pay a toll just to get to the place where I had to pay a fee. A few dollars for the privilege of driving across someone's property isn't unreasonable; a few dollars more seems proper if he's going to let me actually camp on his property. He shouldn't expect to get as much as a privately owned launching ramp or campground, though, unless he provides equally good facilities: concrete ramp; leveled, graveled or paved parking slab, water & electric hookups. If I can get those facilities in a privately owned campground for $25.00 a night, I would certainly expect to pay considerably less to park in a field and have no improved ramp available. I know a spot on the Arkansas River like that. Several miles from the nearest paved road, and an old bulldozed launching ramp where you may need 4WD to get out. But there are lots of good close fishing spots in either direction. I might pay the owner $10.00 a day for the privilege of camping there and using that old ramp, but certainly no more; and maybe not even that, because there's a Corps campground that's within a half hour's run in the boat. Pay $700 a year for the privilege of using the land? Only if I'm a guide, and getting exclusive fishing rights to the property, so I can take clients there, thus making the expense more reasonable. I know some trout streams in Montana where I could make a good living doing just that...IF I had exclusive access. That particular river has only 5 or 6 access points between the point where it leaves the National Forest in the mountains to where it enters the Missouri River. When it's 20 miles between access points, the halfway point doesn't get fished much. I couldn't tell you who has access there now; it's been 30 years since I fished it. But I'm afraid that we're going to see more and more of that situation. If I were a multi-millionaire, would I be willing to pay the landowner $5,000 a year for exclusive fishing rights to a couple or three miles along that river? Of course.

19. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    The bottom line here is "what is that value worth to each individual".
    If this is one of the best spots on the river, close to home, gaurantees you a serene clean private access and better yet, good results. Then it may be worth it to pay for this access. even if it is to cross his land.
    From a landowner's point of view, he pays taxes on that land, and may even (under Ohios Navagability laws) own the bottom of the stream out to the center so even if you anchor in a boat or cast over there property, you may still be "Hunting without permission" ( yeah, Ohio is wacky with there trespassing laws) Now a Landowner also pays taxes in Ohio for the bottom of the stream and he can not typically make money on that so that is a approach to take when negotiating. In Ohio, quality riverbottom farmland draw between 100-125 bucks an acre for someone to pay for farming it so, that works out to 1 acre ( 50 feet wide) for access to 900 feet of river frontage. Thus, 100-125 bucks an acre, its a good way to negotiate with the farming mentality. ( Other states and rates may vary)
    But here in the Heartland, that is what and how e negotiate land use rates.

Salmonid

20. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I pay half of the 700 a year, but comes with a small island and a dock!